Who still runs the old wagons then?

So I’ve been thinking after seeing those pics of the old F series Volvo (see thread below) about who is still running the old machines on general haulage? Obviously the fibreglass cabbed machines like ERFs and Fodens stand the best chance of surving. I’m sures I read on here that Harrisons in Sheffield are phasing out the old Scammells in favour of B series ERFs. What else is out there? I know a lot of old stuffs in the recovery and showmans worlds, but on General haulage where is all the old stuff? Answers on a postcard please. :slight_smile:

Harrisons at Sheffield are now running an E-Series ERF (I think the one I saw was D Reg’d)

The Atkinsons shown below still work for a living, I think!

killsville:
Harrisons at Sheffield are now running an E-Series ERF (I think the one I saw was D Reg’d)

The Atkinsons shown below still work for a living, I think!

are they still running the old scammels havent seen much of them lately.

Warrior:
are they still running the old scammels havent seen much of them lately.

I heard that one of them was still running - but only on local work. Don’t know how true this is though. I certainly haven’t seen any on the road for a few months now.

Did’nt one of the brothers who ran Harrisons pass away not too long ago?

A d reg ERF eh? I assume their customers are’nt bothered about not having new wagons? They reputedly had a mid 70s Foden unregistered sat in primer in their shed too.

Nice Pics killsville :smiley:

If you go past Harrisons yard it looks like an old graveyard, unkempt and a lot of scrap sat around. There is a Scammel sat in the shed and it hasnt moved for months.

There is a sign outside advertising parking spaces, so it could be the end of the road for Harrisons.

When I went to Holland last week, the company I am working for have their own museum and have kept examples of all the trucks in mint condition. There was an F86 in the process of being rebuilt and in the shed several DAF, MB and VOLVO

There was also a huge Kenworth still in working order with tank discharge equipment fitted which is used for promotional work and a jolly out to Assen for the boss :stuck_out_tongue: Apparently he bought the Kenworth to celebrate 50 years in business.

I will post a link when the museum goes online

ghinzani:
Did’nt one of the brothers who ran Harrisons pass away not too long ago?

A d reg ERF eh? I assume their customers are’nt bothered about not having new wagons? They reputedly had a mid 70s Foden unregistered sat in primer in their shed too.

yes indeed, sadly he passed away.

They did, at one time, have four brand new Fodens dating from the late 1970s, but they may have been used up by now. I stopped by the gate last year and took a photo from across the road, showing a Scammell Rigid 8 parked up with all sorts of parts and stuff piled on the flat. There was a Highwayman there too, coupled up to a trailer. I’ve a feeling that there may have been a Foden lurking in the garage too, but I can’t remember till I find the photo again!

I had a wander in their garage about '83/'84 time and actually saw the Foden in question. It was 4x2 S80/83 tractor and was indeed still in primer, albeit
with a healthy coating of dust on top. My thoughts are that it is likely to still be there, never having turned a wheel in anger.

I had heard that one of the brothers had died.

I think a few of the drivers retired as well.

For obvious reasons, I think they were struggling for drivers!

killsville:
For obvious reasons, I think they were struggling for drivers!

Ok form a queue to drive the Foden then, I’l have the Scammell !!

A cash offer of £8000 was recently made for the Foden but was rejected.

It was never put on the road because the ones that were put into service were more expensive to run than the Scammells - so it just sat there without ever having been registered.

I have some pictures of their wagons somewhere - one of them is one of the registered S83s.

marky:
A cash offer of £8000 was recently made for the Foden but was rejected.

It was never put on the road because the ones that were put into service were more expensive to run than the Scammells - so it just sat there without ever having been registered.

I have some pictures of their wagons somewhere - one of them is one of the registered S83s.

Look forward to seeing them if you can find them Marky! I do like those ugly brute S80 series. Dont suppose your Foden knowledge stretches to the questions Ive asked in the Foden info thread below this one? cheers

I’ll keep my eye out for Mr. Godbold’s Atki now the beat season is underway…I saw it at the Brundall roundabout on the A47 last year obviously on the way to Cantley.

is the s80 the one with the big foden badge and the big round headlamps if it is. in vintage comercial mag theres one in kent a faded yellow day cab and its free to anyone who can collect cuz its a non runner

Carl:
is the s80 the one with the big foden badge and the big round headlamps if it is. in vintage comercial mag theres one in kent a faded yellow day cab and its free to anyone who can collect cuz its a non runner

Yeah thats been there for a couple months I guess. Its yellow and red, I’m wondering if its ex -shell maybe? If I had the space I’d have been up there like a shot.

I have some technical information about the Foden two-strokes somewhere. The trouble is, to keep on top of everything I do regular ‘tidy-ups’ after which I can never find anything.!!

I know that the headlights were 11 inches in diameter - that’s a big target for stones…

marky:
I have some technical information about the Foden two-strokes somewhere. The trouble is, to keep on top of everything I do regular ‘tidy-ups’ after which I can never find anything.!!

I know that the headlights were 11 inches in diameter - that’s a big target for stones…

Be nice to have any info uve got on the 2 stokes Marky, but in the foden 2 stroke thread :wink:
Looking at an old magazine yesterday I got off ebay I saw a pic of one of the Harrisons Scammel motors that had been converted to a twin steer artic, but not like a Trunker, the axle was set back just in front of the drive axle in the modern manner - I guess fairly obvious as it a conventional and that front axles way forward. Did they run this at 38 tons? 8lxb I guess? Still a bit breathless, esp witha 6 speed box! Then again I read soemwhere that John Killingbeck put “tweaked” 8lxb/c’s in Atkis at 38 tons. Anyone know the tweaks? Just fuel pump opened or what? Any guesses at hp?

Lots of questions as always, apologies! :slight_smile:

Dr. John put turbochagers on some of his 8-cylinder Gardners - despite Gardners saying it couldn’t be done at the time.

Eric Vick did the same and it pushed the power up to around 290-300 bhp. 240 will tell you of the time he was shown a clean pair of heels by a Killingbeck example when he was in a bobtail F12.

The Harrison Scammell that became a 6x2 had a 6-cylinder Gardner in it - I presume it was a doctored 150 that made it into a 180 by uprating the pump, but doubtless someone else can confirm or deny this.

marky:
Dr. John put turbochagers on some of his 8-cylinder Gardners - despite Gardners saying it couldn’t be done at the time.

Eric Vick did the same and it pushed the power up to around 290-300 bhp. 240 will tell you of the time he was shown a clean pair of heels by a Killingbeck example when he was in a bobtail F12.

The Harrison Scammell that became a 6x2 had a 6-cylinder Gardner in it - I presume it was a doctored 150 that made it into a 180 by uprating the pump, but doubtless someone else can confirm or deny this.

Cheers Marky - then the Scammell was only 32 tons, hmmm - extra axle to stop overloading then? Where the turbos the same sort of ones that Gardner eventually stuck in the 8LXCT then? Nowt like getting your deveopment for free on the road by your customers!

Question for 240 - did you ever write in to Truck magazine and tell the story of being left behind by an Atki? Only Im sure ive read it in one! Then again if they were dragsters Im sure it happened to many - but im sure this was a Volvo with no trailer that got blown away…