Who’s had a hand out then?

As above ,I know one firm 10 plus lorries never missed a beat through this covid19 period no drivers furloughed got £10,000 ,another owner driver got £6000 poor old Mr Ltd company here got nothing :cry:

Punchy Dan:
As above ,I know one firm 10 plus lorries never missed a beat through this covid19 period no drivers furloughed got £10,000 ,another owner driver got £6000 poor old Mr Ltd company here got nothing :cry:

Don’t forget the cheaper fuel benefit too

I’m trying to get the bounce back for £50k then put it in the building society as I reckon it will all never get paid back and written off but will pay it back if that doesn’t happen.

Know several people with small business premises and they’ve all got a free £10k plus their income from previous years being paid out. The other side of this there’s going to some really really struggling and others rolling in it mostly just down to luck.

Someone I know got 10k last week. I was surprised as I wasn’t aware he had applied for anything. A bit of time on the PC later looks like if you are registered for business rates and qualify for small business rate relief then you get 10k.

I get the fact that if you had to means test applications there would be a mountain of admin and appeals to address for submissions declined, but to pay it out without an application even having to be made surprises me. At the least there will be some firms who have not had to close or furlough, even few who are busier than usual all of which would still get the payment.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … nesses.pdf

As a great haulier once said “rough wi smooth”

Yip, SBRR grant.

We got a bounce back loan. At the moment nearly all of our work has disappeared, the work we were going to do to keep ticking over was undercut massively by Marime and Starts. We’re ok financially, own our trucks and equipment, but this step back I have had, giving me time to actually evaluate what I want out of life… I’m selling up and going into a different business altogether.
On the subject of the loan, we may use some of it, we may not. Whichever way we use it we can pay back after 12 months for nowt, or take that flippin’ 2.5%…Which I doubt we’ll ever see again in our lifetimes!

C63Andy:
We got a bounce back loan. At the moment nearly all of our work has disappeared, the work we were going to do to keep ticking over was undercut massively by Marime and Starts. We’re ok financially, own our trucks and equipment, but this step back I have had, giving me time to actually evaluate what I want out of life… I’m selling up and going into a different business altogether.
On the subject of the loan, we may use some of it, we may not. Whichever way we use it we can pay back after 12 months for nowt, or take that flippin’ 2.5%…Which I doubt we’ll ever see again in our lifetimes!

That is a bad situation please forgive my flippant thread title .

Punchy Dan:

C63Andy:

To be fair Dan, with the rate they’re offering AFTER paying naff all for 12 months, it’s the nearest to a handout we’ll ever get from a bank!

It is a bad situation for the haulage side. Luckily my wife and I run another seperate business unconnected with transport, that has taken a big hit but is still ticking over. We could’ve stayed in the industry, but I’m sick of staring at the things in the yard, and I think I was ready to pack up anyway, this situation just made my decision for me.

Punchy Dan:
… That is a bad situation please forgive my flippant thread title .

Hi Dan,

:bulb: If you’ve had second thoughts about the topic title, then please go back and edit it.

I’ll re-title the rest of the posts to suit. :smiley:

Your choice!! :smiley:

dieseldave:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,

:bulb: If you’ve had second thoughts about the topic title, then please go back and edit it.

Thanks Dave but it’s fine :smiley:

C63Andy:

Punchy Dan:

C63Andy:

To be fair Dan, with the rate they’re offering AFTER paying naff all for 12 months, it’s the nearest to a handout we’ll ever get from a bank!

It is a bad situation for the haulage side. Luckily my wife and I run another seperate business unconnected with transport, that has taken a big hit but is still ticking over. We could’ve stayed in the industry, but I’m sick of staring at the things in the yard, and I think I was ready to pack up anyway, this situation just made my decision for me.

I see there are repayable bounce back loans but also separately this money the councils are handing out to supposedly cover rates and it doesn’t appear means tested other than being calculated from income tax paid in the previous yr .

Punchy Dan:

dieseldave:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,

Thanks Dave but it’s fine :smiley:

It’s all part of the service. :smiley:

C63Andy:

Firstly let me wish you all the best in your new venture Andy.

I know where you’re coming from with being undercut, I’ve been talking to a few well established hauliers near us who have seen unscrupulous hauliers get their new fangled rate cutting machines out, they seem to think if their lorries are out then they’re busy, busy must be good, they never stop to think if they’re actually making a profit.

I had one haulier tell me someone had come in & cut the haulage rate on one of his jobs to London by £150 a load, it’s probably taken him 20 years of dedicated work with that customer to achieve such a good rate but a 5 minute phone call has wiped that straight out.

I’ve even had one of my premium customers tell me they will still need my services but someone has come in & offered to do some of their deliveries on a groupage basis so their haulage rate reflects this, this is a customer I’ve had for 16 years & they rarely asked how much a delivery would cost, they were willing to pay for good service but it looks like that may have gone out of the window.

These were examples of the industry before the Covid 19 situation brought the country to a standstill. Customers will probably be looking closer at the bottom line in future so no doubt anyone with one of these rate cutting machines will think their doing well now, time will tell whether they’re busy fools just turning money over or astute business men who have managed to re invent road haulage.

When I was an apprentice there was an operator who used to have his lorry repaired in the garage I worked at, someone asked him one day how they could end up making £1,000,000 from haulage, his answers still makes me chuckle today, he said "if you want to end up with £1,000,000 from haulage you’d better start with £2,000,000

A lot of business’s will need a lot of financial help to recover from this situation but they needn’t think they’ll be getting it for now’t, we’ll all end up paying for these handouts for many years to come

I can’t get the £10k as my landlord pays the business rates, I just pay the rent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’ve found more and more before this that if jobs were priced at a realistically profitable rate and we didn’t get the work it often wasn’t the case that the potential customer had got someone else cheaper in but they didn’t go ahead with what they had planned. Stuff like Moffett jobs losing any premium but they aren’t zero cost or even low cost to own and operate. Too often you’re doing stuff on the hope it leads to other work and rarely does. All the summer festival work has vanished into thin air for us.

Punchy Dan:

C63Andy:

Punchy Dan:

C63Andy:

I see there are repayable bounce back loans but also separately this money the councils are handing out to supposedly cover rates and it doesn’t appear means tested other than being calculated from income tax paid in the previous yr .

I think you mixed up the various things a bit

Business rates - £10k cash hand out but…only if you’re on small business rates relief which will usually be small office/workshop max. Council contact and pay the money to businesses that qualify automatically if they need it or not. What takes the ■■■■ is these businesses were paying bugger all rates to start with and the council’s handing out money to businesses who’ve paid they least in.

CBILS loans - Original bank loan scheme but with usual guarantees better with a bounceback unless you need a big amount.

Self-employed furlough - same as furlough but based on previous year’s pay declared on tax returns with the same sort of percentage and max limits.

Bounceback loans - Newer loan scheme, for any business, 25% turnover to max of £50k as loan. Don’t have to start paying back for a year and low cost rate when you do. They also cannot come after your main home or main car if business still goes ■■■■ and you can’t repay. This one seems the best if like many you don’t qualify for anything else, don’t really actually need anything right now but no-one can see the future.

Only thing with bounceback is although they can’t go after house and car for bounceback if you do end up going under not sure how plausible it would be to do that in a way that paid every creditor off except the bounceback unless you were very careful as they’re still going to come after you.

Afternoon everyone. Just to update this a bit, we’ll be starting our new venture in November. But in the meantime, I’ve been beavering away to get some decent paying work. The old saying about something being ‘in your blood’ is true I guess. I couldn’t part with the trucks, partially to do with being offered peanuts, mostly to do with being sat around in one place with nothing to repair/fiddle with… So as of next week I’ll be out again for another crack of the whip, hard to give up this hard working beauty (in my eyes anyway):