Who made the cab?

I’m hoping someone can identify the cab manufacturer on this Albion Caledonian. I’ve searched for Homalloy, Bonallack, Duramin etc but no luck.

Try Alfred Miles - it’s not the one usually associated with them, but it has a look of something of theirs.

Fair and thorough research…try one on the busses-bodyworks? Or some derivations on pre-Motor Panels?

This doesn’t look like a UK based BP tanker, the cab being more likely to have been a local dealership build in NZ or OZ. It would have helped to be able to enlarge the photo to see the reg no. Franky.

A bit more on the original photo, This is a scanned photo from the June/August edition of Vintage Roadscene from 2003. If anyone has that edition it may shed some light but the comment shown also added it had the same reg no as the Caledonian above with the Alfred Miles cab, I was able to enlarge this photo and the lower 8 wheeler is the same reg no so likely a re-cab for some reason and possibly by Miles too with a more updated design. Franky.

Geordielad:
This doesn’t look like a UK based BP tanker, the cab being more likely to have been a local dealership build in NZ or OZ. It would have helped to be able to enlarge the photo to see the reg no. Franky.

The registration plate is British and looks to be XYP 164 and here is the same lorry with its Alfred Miles cab:

8174538973_f71c887729_z.jpg

So we still need to know who built the replacement!

^^^… one of the things we haven’t mentioned is that the cab appears to be either a sleeper cab or a crew cab - both rarities of that period. I think it looks rather like the standard Leyland Octopus cab of the day, with the sleeper extension built on and the radiator grille / ‘tin front’ mocked up specially. And didn’t Leyland build their own cabs then? They certainly built their own bus bodies in the post-war period (Titan PD1s spring to mind). Les

Leyland_Octopus_Tanker_Trucks_50758736-d85e-4aab-b1fe-9d16aa544d1c.jpg
downlgoad.jpg

Les Sylphides:
^^^… one of the things we haven’t mentioned is that the cab appears to be either a sleeper cab or a crew cab - both rarities of that period. I think it looks rather like the standard Leyland Octopus cab of the day, with the sleeper extension built on and the radiator grille / ‘tin front’ mocked up specially. And didn’t Leyland build their own cabs then? They certainly built their own bus bodies in the post-war period (Titan PD1s spring to mind). Les

The side panels/doors don’t really match.

leylandsociety.co.uk/blog/blog0050.htm
This article sheds some light on the last of the Albion 8s.

Tomdhu:
I’m hoping someone can identify the cab manufacturer on this Albion Caledonian. I’ve searched for Homalloy, Bonallack, Duramin etc but no luck.

On the first picture (Shell-BP) it looks that some kind of shield is put under the windows, whereas that look is more similar to the indeed NZ-Santini-cabs as ERF
got familiar with down under…the angle of window-glass is also strange, somehow referring to the 3-5MW of ERF…well, at least it is an Albion.

At that time transporters used what the had in their neighbourhood, just as a shield to cover/repair an cab-accident?

ERF-Continental:

Tomdhu:

On the first picture (Shell-BP) it looks that some kind of shield is put under the windows, whereas that look is more similar to the indeed NZ-Santini-cabs as ERF
got familiar with down under…the angle of window-glass is also strange, somehow referring to the 3-5MW of ERF…well, at least it is an Albion.

At that time transporters used what the had in their neighbourhood, just as a shield to cover/repair an cab-accident?

Santini cabs are South African. Not sure why a British registered lorry would have such a cab. :wink:

Probably also done by Miles or a more local coachbuilders as a one off, it certainly has some of the same components as the ‘green’ cabbed earlier build. Mirror arms, bumper, headlights even the front steps and it doesn’t seem any longer a cab despite the rear side window as there is still the ladder between cab and tank, I haven’t come across another of this style so maybe we will never know for sure. Franky.

Geordielad:
Probably also done by Miles or a more local coachbuilders as a one off, it certainly has some of the same components as the ‘green’ cabbed earlier build. Mirror arms, bumper, headlights even the front steps and it doesn’t seem any longer a cab despite the rear side window as there is still the ladder between cab and tank, I haven’t come across another of this style so maybe we will never know for sure. Franky.

Looking like the best explanation.
Certain I have seen that unusual chrome grill surround shape on another make of vehicle.

Having studied both these cabs quite a bit, it would appear there is a lot of the original green cab still there, in the yellow & white cab.

The post above mentions a lot of parts reused, but on closer inspection, it seems that the bottom half of cab is pretty much the same.

Points of note

The towing eyes, headlights, bumper & hole for starting handle, & solitary driving / fog lamp exactly the same, in same position

Sidelight & indicator exactly the same & appear to be in the same in same position

Lower door hinge in same position

Door handle & grab handle appear the same

Top grab handles appear the same, as does radiator filler

Windscreens appear the same, top wiper on drivers & bottom wiper on nearside

There is also possibly 1 to 2 inches removed from bottom of cab, below drivers step, this being the only visible difference at bottom of cab.

Possible reuse of droplight / cab door window.

The main work would appear to be to cab windscreens, roof & rear of cab,which no longer has the curved window giving side / rear vision,

essexpete:

Geordielad:

Certain I have seen that unusual chrome grill surround shape on another make of vehicle.

Is this the grille you’re thinking of? Similar, granted, but not the same.

fodenway:

essexpete:

Geordielad:

Is this the grille you’re thinking of? Similar, granted, but not the same.

Yes that would be the one. Were the cabs by the same builder I wonder?