Who is the oldest European Trucker still haulin?

Bobby Joyce has retired through ill health , my dad Paul McLoughlin recently spoke to him , they both worked together for years tramping around Europe, Andrews and bond , brenlee, Derry brothers , and others

Tony Bradfield was up to about four weeks ago when he called it a day and retired, still running Morocco once a fortnight, and he was coming up to 83 next birthday, top that, happy retirement Tony, take it steady son.

Ossie

Bobby Joyce has retired through ill health

OssieD:
Tony Bradfield was up to about four weeks ago when he called it a day and retired, still running Morocco once a fortnight, and he was coming up to 83 next birthday, top that, happy retirement Tony, take it steady son.

Ossie

Worked with Tony Bradfield on a lot of occasions, Starting in the early days on Martintrux. it was a pleasure to know him
Happy retirement Tony. its hard but you will get used to it Regards Tony Rainbird

Can’t agree with you there TonyR, when you say retirement is hard. I worked non stop for 49 years, I never got used to it, I’d been retired 2 weeks and I knew it had been a good career move, best job I’ve ever had. :smiley: :wink:

Fair play to Tony thats impressive to be still tramping at that age !!

Another chap who is getting on a bit and i am sure last time i run into him,which was about 18 months ago
he said he was 74 so about 75/76 now is John Elliott from Ayr. Runs J.R.Elliott and has a fishing boat.

Guy, not seen him in a long time., Bobby Joyce ( Reardon/MTL/Brenlee/Beaver/Derry Bros/ACH/Solstor/Thorburn etc), got to be 65+ stil doin Euro I believe havin left McBurneys…

Another is Peter Reynolds… all the same Cos above including TransFreeze

Who is still doin EUROPEAN and did it in the 70s ?

I would almost guess Grandad Bernard is in this list

Tony Bradfield,was 76 in September,not only the oldest,but probably the longest European owner driver from the UK.

ray goulde 72 and still going strong .thor transport comart ,moorlock and a few more

routier:
Guy, not seen him in a long time., Bobby Joyce ( Reardon/MTL/Brenlee/Beaver/Derry Bros/ACH/Solstor/Thorburn etc), got to be 65+ stil doin Euro I believe havin left McBurneys…

I believe Pete is on for Keenans or Creggans cant remember wich

What about owner/driver Lou Thurgood from Maidstone,Kent of phantom 309 fame?? I reckon he has to in his 70s now, he has been the subject of a few magazine articles in the past, 1st with his Transcntinental in the early 80s, then with a super-smart 425 powered Foden in the early 90s. He used share a yard with Ken Trowel ( another Transcon lover) and currently has a smart DAF Super space cab which is still carrying the Phantom 309 name tag!

VXR1:

routier:

I believe Pete is on for Keenans or Creggans cant remember wich

Really ? do ye keep in touch with Pete then ? If ye have any contact details for him can ye PM me ?

Must be George Fishlock ?
Top owner driver … They should make a film of his life story. Plus a gentleman to go with it !!

Wheelnut, I am new to Trucknet but is this the same Bernard from Gilberdyke who I remember when he drove for Hewson Brothers of Howden running to and from Italy ?

SAV68:
Wheelnut, I am new to Trucknet but is this the same Bernard from Gilberdyke who I remember when he drove for Hewson Brothers of Howden running to and from Italy ?

Thats Bernard, he is still to be found on the Hull ferry most Sundays although he doesn’t go much further than Germany these days I think

routier:

Is Bob that old, I worked with him on Solstor in the early 90s & would swear he was in his 40s then?