Who else has a preserved HGV on here?

My mate Uggy Newport still runs preserved wagons on a daily basis

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.248419908530846.57891.229823893723781

Punchy Dan:
Still looks good today Dan , just don’t take it into Bradford it will cost you £50 in our Clean Air Zone ffs

Thank you Ramone ,the air it puts out is cleaner than the air in Bradford ,I wouldn’t want the Bradford air in my filter :laughing:
[/quote]
It’s more of a stench than air and the council are full of …

I have this, possibly the oldest: and likely the longest ownership, had it for 52 years
Bernard

9516381015_bb1d5d2cd7_b.jpg

That’s nice Bernard :sunglasses:

42A73516-A8E6-4736-A205-D122F089DD25.jpeg
I’ve had this about 18 yrs and I’am going to re restore it next yr after accumulating a lot more parts over the last few yrs .

I’ve also had this 16 yrs .

ramone:

Punchy Dan:
I’ve owned this genuine s106 for over 9 yrs it was £6500 in 2013 which at the time I thought I’d paid enough for it but still in use today .
Requiring cosmetic restoration ,brakes air bags and tyres plus a few other bits and bobs I fitted the crane and hook gear and made a flat body .
The lorry was previously owned by another member on here who had it new ,to me it’s a good spec ■■■■■■■■ Eaton ,Rockwell ,jake brake ,Hendrickson rear end and s75 8 tonne front axle .

Still looks good today Dan , just don’t take it into Bradford it will cost you £50 in our Clean Air Zone ffs

I agree Ramone, very smart.

Punchy Dan:
I’ve had this about 18 yrs and I’am going to re restore it next yr after accumulating a lot more parts over the last few yrs .

Pax 5? I happen to know where there’s a tidy 1970 one for sale.

Sidevalve:

Punchy Dan:

There’s one or two about but not may that are the same due to the spec variant’s.

Sidevalve:

Punchy Dan:

Well Pal that comment has just halved the value of Danl’s Dennis PAX 5 and if it has the Perkins V8 engine say no more ! :wink: Cheers bewick.

good thread,Sidevalve :slight_smile: i love preserved lorries,but sadly don’t own one…yet. got a few old preserved bikes and cars though :smiley:

I used to have this, which I rescued from going for scrap sometime around 1980. I did a fair amount of the immediate mechanical work which required parts which were then still available. More mundane family financial requirements meant that there was never really the money to progress it further. I sold it on about seven or eight years ago, when I lost the storage, to one of the better known preservationists. As I understend it, it has joined a queue.

carryfast-yeti:
good thread,Sidevalve :slight_smile: i love preserved lorries,but sadly don’t own one…yet. got a few old preserved bikes and cars though :smiley:

Still got the old bikes, but the Foden only came about by chance. Some years ago I owned a 1963 GMC pick-up truck; having sold my Harley Electra-Glide, I rather fancied another Yank truck, so made the mistake of scouring the Car & Classic website. I try to avoid that site because it’s dangerous to your wallet; always look at the commercial vehicles section out of curiosity, and that thing had just gone on sale, only 20 miles from me. Girlfriend approved, we went to have a look and I bought it. Previous owner had kept it 15 years; I knew him slightly through the VMCC, big AJS man and a thoroughly decent type who’d owned a local garage and bought the Foden at Dorset more to go and enjoy steam rallies than anything else. His brother, a local farmer, probably drove it more than he did.

I do have a tenuous history with S21’s. My late father worked all his life for Hoveringham Gravels; we lived in the next village to Hoveringham quarry, Dad wasn’t a driver (he finished up as foreman on static plant, conveyors, crushers etc) but I grew up to the sound of Foden 2 strokes and can still tell one miles away. Many of his workmates did drive the Fodens, though; they used to call at Dad’s house for bedding plants and cut flowers which were his sideline, and I strongly suspect that was the influence which drew me into lorry driving in the first place.

You will probably be familiar with the superb example owned by John Pearson in Coventry, which is a regular on the rally scene. Another one does exist, which was formerly the wrecker; rebuilt from a crashed tipper back in the late 1960’s and my father played a very small part in its conversion. I had the chance to buy it, after it was found under a tree in Shropshire having disappeared off the radar for many years; regrettably, although it does run, it was way beyond my means and skills to restore. Thankfully it is now in the process of restoration in Nottingham and I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing it back on the road in due course. Mine is as close as I’m likely to get to owning a Hoveringham lorry, although I’ve got a few of the Matchbox ones!

yes that Hoveringham Foden is a magnificent sight :smiley: ECCQ in Croft Quarry near me had a big fleet of Fodens back in the day,many of them 2-strokes. in my village,Redland had a big fleet in the 60’s to 1980’s inc. many 2-stroke Commer TS3 tippers :sunglasses: i can still almost hear them hammering up the hill at the bottom of my road :slight_smile: at the time my dad was driving for Redland,but he drove an Atkinson. i drove for Redland myself late '80’s…but in Leyland Bison and Octopus…no 2-strokes by then.

!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221210/1499ca363f0ef6f81f9411b011c6eeec.jpg[/img
These belong to my mate and his son)

He’s just bought BTO 533K the first picture is when it was originally restored in 86/87 and some years later looking a little bit sorry for herself
BTO 533K was the last Atkinson Borderer Stirlands operated after 15 years service

Great to see so many of Stirland’s fleet have been preserved. As mentioned above they always looked immaculate.

Nottingham had some very big fleets in my youth, largely down to the major manufacturers like Boots, Raleigh etc. In my younger days I did a bit of agency work for Clearway and William West, who still survive; George Dominic and Marshalls, both now long gone, were the other two main ones I think.

Incidentally it was me who started the “Nottingham Hauliers” thread on the Nottstalgia website, to which I think you kindly contributed.

A good friend of mine owns this TK-lovely thing, fitted with a 466 engine and two speed axle and five speed overdrive box.

Image0197.jpg

This is mine. Pic taken in 2016. Not old compared to others around but fairly rare now…

Bought in 2015 to stop her being exported so she’s now enjoying a well=earned retirement after 20 years of hard graft