Who drives on the right in continental Europe?

Rob if you want the full list I’m pretty sure it was Alexx’s thread - title ‘Left Running’ or something similar.

Salut, David.

brit pete:
ROB K: DON;T know the site but cyprus, austrailia are two that drive on the left and yes the cars are mostly rhd, YEARS AGO Sweden was
on of those that drove on the right,
also you still find in italy a few RHD lorrys that work inthe mountains
pulling the marble out of the quarrys there,

oh yeah what about MALTA do they not still drive onthe right,

The Maltese drive on whichever side of the road they ■■■■-well want. More often than not they drive down the middle.

Rob K:
I vaguely recall mention of a thread not that long ago where someone listed all the countries in the world and which side of the road they drive on.

Can anyone direct me to the thread please as I can’t find it by doing a search.

Also, would it be safe to assume that those countries that drive on the left make their cars as right-hand drive and vice-versa :question:

Not really,as Italy long had righthand driven,and Swiss as well!

There is at least one French registered right hand drive car in France.

I feel much safer being as far away as possible from the lunatics hurtling towards me. :smiley:

Salut, David.

According to warnings on the radio this morning there was one driver in Germany driving on the left on the Autobahn this morning. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Not for long though because about 20 minutes later they were broadcasting that the danger was over and it was safe to overtake again.

:bulb: The best Way on Continent is a righthandriven Vehicle,as you mustn’t run around it on the Way to Pub,when you stop on the Road :exclamation: :smiley:
:bulb: the other side it’s more Easy too,to ask People for the way,as they walk on your Windowside :exclamation:

My research from a few months back came up with the following:

Sweden changed to right-running in 1967.

The former British colony of Newfoundland switched in 1948, a year or so before becoming a province of Canada.

Hungary, Czechoslovakia and the Hapsburg part of Austria changed in 1937-39, as Herr Hitler invaded them.

Italian cities (the rural parts had switched many years before) switched back in the 1920’s.

Spain, Portugal, Holland and parts of Canada switched in the late teens-early 1920’s.

Russia switched some time before the communist took power in 1917.

France switched in the lead-up to their revolution. The nobility used to pass right, but the common people started passing right on the street. The nobles quickly started passing right, as to avoid being lynched.

Dratsabasti:
Courtesy of Schott’s Original Miscellany by Ben Schott copy right Ben Schott 2002

An extreemely good book :exclamation: Someone gave me a copy last year, also try amickey take at it by someone called ‘■■■■■■■ very humorous :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In fact some of Europe, most of Asia, all of Africa and Oceana (including Aus and NZ.

More countries drive on the left than the right. :exclamation:

TATS THE FINNAL STRAW :exclamation: When you can’t type an authors name because it resmbles a very common word often used in TV I have had enough :imp:

Pat Hasler:
TATS THE FINNAL STRAW

Are you sure you spelt that name correctly Pat :question: :question: :question: :smiley: :smiley: .

Send one of the admins an e-mail, explaining the problem and including that offending name. It can be sorted. There are quite a few people who are trying to be clever with their spelling of words, in an attempt to get round the censor. Each time, all they are doing is making extra and annoying work for the moderators and increasing the length of the list in the auto censor. It is quite possible that your writers name has become involved in this way.

Simon:

Pat Hasler:
TATS THE FINNAL STRAW

Are you sure you spelt that name correctly Pat :question: :question: :question: :smiley: :smiley: .

Send one of the admins an e-mail, explaining the problem and including that offending name. It can be sorted. There are quite a few people who are trying to be clever with their spelling of words, in an attempt to get round the censor. Each time, all they are doing is making extra and annoying work for the moderators and increasing the length of the list in the auto censor. It is quite possible that your writers name has become involved in this way.

Yeah, it’s gotten so bad, you can’t even talk about eating *ake mushrooms and washing it down with a B ale anymore!!

fred Kanka:
: :bulb: the other side it’s more Easy too,to ask People for the way,as they walk on your Windowside :exclamation:

You’re dead right Fred, I well remember in solid Paris traffic having quite a conversation with a pedestrian without holding anybody up - he was going the same speed I was :slight_smile:
Good directions too. Only trouble was I went for miles looking for a Carrefour supermarket to turn right at. (Note for the non linguists - carrefour is French for crossroads :frowning: ).

Salut, David.

I vaguely recall mention of a thread not that long ago where someone listed all the countries in the world and which side of the road they drive on.

Can anyone direct me to the thread please as I can’t find it by doing a search.

Also, would it be safe to assume that those countries that drive on the left make their cars as right-hand drive and vice-versa :question:

ROB K: DON;T know the site but cyprus, austrailia are two that drive on the left and yes the cars are mostly rhd, YEARS AGO Sweden was
on of those that drove on the right,
also you still find in italy a few RHD lorrys that work inthe mountains
pulling the marble out of the quarrys there,

oh yeah what about MALTA do they not still drive onthe right,

yes malta still drive on the left hand side and the majority of their cars are rhd.

i know japan is not in europe but im sure they drive on the left aswell??

Countries that drive on the left:

Anguilla
Antigua
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Ciskei
Cook Islands
Cyprus
Dominica
Falkland Islands
Fiji Islands
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Republic of Ireland
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Macau
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Niue
Norfolk Islands
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Seychelles
Sikkim
Singapore
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Helena
St Kitts & Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent
Surinam
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
UK, except in Savoy Court, off Strand in London, where traffic must drive on the right
US Virgin Islands
Venda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Courtesy of Schott’s Original Miscellany by Ben Schott copy right Ben Schott 2002

Dratsabasti:
Norfolk Islands

The other day we had a badly addressed letter from Germany that arrived in the end after a trip to Norfolk Island and back!

It was a ‘todesanzeige’, a letter telling you that somebody you know has died (we knew already from a phonecall). He was already buried a couple of weeks before we got the letter though.

Nothing too tragic, he was 90. Sorry for going off topic.

Sweden changed from left to right in 1967 so were the last on mainland Europe to do so (neighbouring countries already drove on the right). Although Japan drive on the left its a status symbol to own a LHD car, so i’ve heard.

Dratsabasti:
Countries that drive on the left:

(SNIP)

Thanks for that :slight_smile: .