Who’d be a shop worker?

Just read a feature on the BBC website about the alarming increase in violent attacks on shop workers leaving them traumatised and the lasting effect on their lives
Most of my driving career has been in the retail sector and I often wondered what it would be like to actually work in the stores I delivered to, some of which were in some real “yee ha!” areas especially housing estates
Having to deal with druggies and feral kids shoplifting on a daily basis, kids trying to buy alcohol and the constant threat of armed robbery besides trying to run the business
I could just climb back in the cab once the delivery was completed and get the hell out of Dodge thankful I don’t have to deal with these scroats

bigdave789:
Just read a feature on the BBC website about the alarming increase in violent attacks on shop workers leaving them traumatised and the lasting effect on their lives
Most of my driving career has been in the retail sector and I often wondered what it would be like to actually work in the stores I delivered to, some of which were in some real “yee ha!” areas especially housing estates
Having to deal with druggies and feral kids shoplifting on a daily basis, kids trying to buy alcohol and the constant threat of armed robbery besides trying to run the business
I could just climb back in the cab once the delivery was completed and get the hell out of Dodge thankful I don’t have to deal with these scroats

That’s fake news. Robroy said violent crimes only concern gang members. Wait a minute, all those shop workers…they couldn’t all be members of…HOLY COW ROBROY WAS RIGHT!!!

ETS:

bigdave789:

That’s fake news. Robroy said violent crimes only concern gang members. Wait a minute, all those shop workers…they couldn’t all be members of…HOLY COW ROBROY WAS RIGHT!!!

If you’re going to quote me mate at least try to be accurate. :neutral_face:
I think the word ''mostly was used rather than ‘‘only’’ and we were on about specifically stabbings rather than general violent crimes :bulb:
Just saying.

Truck driving is easier than any job where you deal with the public. I will probably be in jail by now if i had carried on working in a shop.

I grew up on a fairly notorious estate and our two shops got protection in exchange for selling drink and ■■■■ to us underage :laughing:.

robroy:
I think the word ''mostly was used rather than ‘‘only’’ and we were on about specifically stabbings rather than general violent crimes :bulb:
Just saying.

Quote you accurately? What a boring world we’d be living in…Stop living in the distant past :unamused:

I remember delivering to a Bargain Booze in Kirby near Liverpool once. There was a buzzer on the door to get in & then pretty much the whole shop was behind Perspex, you asked for what you wanted and got served through a hatch.

What a dive that was.

ETS:

robroy:
Just saying.

Quote you accurately? What a boring world we’d be living in…Stop living in the distant past :unamused:

:open_mouth: Errr yeh, ok then mate,…
(I think. :neutral_face: )

WheelsofCardiff:
Truck driving is easier than any job where you deal with the public. I will probably be in jail by now if i had carried on working in a shop.

Err you are dealing with the public every day on the roads. It’s how we drive that determines what they think of us.
Strangely enough most detest us. I’ve no idea why though. :wink:

Same as when I was “on the buses.” Give as good as you get… first.

What nurses and hospital staff put up with in a + e makes me wonder why they do the job. They should be armed with a license to kill n defence I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Been there done that, glad I got out. Did night-shift replenishing and was worked like a slave. Some drivers who say it’s easier to stack shelves wants to give their head a wobble!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

In answer to the thread title theres loads on here who would stack shelves for example.

I could never be a shop worker unless it is like stacking shelves.
I like to keep busy at all times and the thought of standing still at a checkout while some old lady spends 5 minutes rumbaging through her handbag finding her ■■■■■ to pay for the shopping despite spending 10 minutes waiting in a line in which she could of got it out then… HOLDING THE ENTIRE QUEUE UP!!! I’d end up backhanding her.

Also having worked for the co-op I know a lot of shop-managers are proper a-holes. It can be a real bitchy workplace in which let’s say gavin can grass on you for having an extra 2 minutes on your break. Or Stacey says you take too many toilet breaks.
There is a lot of micromanagement it is terrible.

That being said night-work is more relaxed, especially if your on good-ins and shelf-stacking.

adam277:
I could never be a shop worker unless it is like stacking shelves.
I like to keep busy at all times and the thought of standing still at a checkout while some old lady spends 5 minutes rumbaging through her handbag finding her ■■■■■ to pay for the shopping despite spending 10 minutes waiting in a line in which she could of got it out then… HOLDING THE ENTIRE QUEUE UP!!! I’d end up backhanding her.

Also having worked for the co-op I know a lot of shop-managers are proper a-holes. It can be a real bitchy workplace in which let’s say gavin can grass on you for having an extra 2 minutes on your break. Or Stacey says you take too many toilet breaks.
There is a lot of micromanagement it is terrible.

That being said night-work is more relaxed, especially if your on good-ins and shelf-stacking.

Adam I hope when you get old you don’t become an old fuddy duddy holding people up in queues as many do through no fault of their own.

It’s just my nature.
I think I have ADHD or something.

Another thing that bugs me is when people walk slow in shops so I can’t pass them as they are walking side by side!
When I go shopping in and out as fast as possible. I don’t make a field trip of it.
Also fat people that use the shopping trolley as a sort of zimmerframe to lean onto :imp:

adam277:
It’s just my nature.

Another thing that bugs me is when people walk slow in shops so I can’t pass them as they are walking side by side!
When I go shopping in and out as fast as possible. I don’t make a field trip of it.
Also fat people that use the shopping trolley as a sort of zimmerframe to lean onto :imp:

Can I add people who dont push the trolley via the handles and pull it along side them instead?

Also women who block the aisles with their trollies, stopped to have a ■■■■ conversation with each other, when all I want to do is pick up my stuff and get to ■■■■ out.
(That does not apply if the 2 women are mega fit,…then I’ll slow down a bit. :laughing:)

adam277:
It’s just my nature.

If you’re a shut in a trip to the supermarket once a week is a release to be savoured and leisurely enjoyed - some folks for whatever reason can’t get out and about much.

Wheeling your gut around on the handle of a shopping cart is part of the thrill.