Who can remember over night digs

Now I know a lot of you youngsters only know about sleeper cabs but it was not that long ago when long haul truckers had to find over night accommadation, one of the worst that I can remember staying at was Berts of Bagshot it was [zb] hole. One of the last times I stayed there I shared a room with 6 Irish Navies it was just terrible can any one remember ■■■■■ holes that you have stayed in

. I shared a room with 6 Irish Navies it was just terrible

:open_mouth: suits you sir :open_mouth:

My first night out in the’70s my driver picked a digs. It was in the middle of nowhere, no showers,lousy beer and all the beds in one big dormitory. I was 19 and frightened and kept awake all night by the noise and the smells. In the morning when I was giving my driver the evil eye, he explained that now you’ve seen the worst you’ll appreciate the others, and I did!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :slight_smile: :unamused: :slight_smile:

when i was a nipper I remember staying in Chrisanns Digs in Manchester ,
i was always out trucking with me dad, in the summer he used to sleep under the sheeted load,i used to get to go across the seats some times on the floor in his daycab cargo :smiley:

Aw the Wagoners down by Redruth now that was bad late 70’s

A nice place we stayed was a B&B in Torquay just across the road from the bus stn /lorry park was owne by Monaca, she was really good used to share a room with 2 others 3 course evening meal breakfast and a packed lunch for an extra £1 in the summer she had a place out the back where we would shack up

nick2008:
Monaca, she was really good used to share a room with 2 others … in the summer she had a place out the back where we would shack up

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hope the missus never found out!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TC

Only when I went with the old man early to mid 70s. There were a couple in Aberdeen just up from the harbour. I remember one large room with 6 beds in it. The fried breakfasts were magic though. Another one was in Corpach, Fortwilliam. I’d get to sit in the truck at the papermill, whilst father was having a few jars in the evening. Does sleeping in the back of a Nestles van in Dunoon count ? :smiley: When we did that our alarm clock was the local Bobby banging on back door shouting " wakey wakey Andy." We also used to get digs in the American navy base up past Thurso. Pity I can’t remember the names of the digs in Aberdeen or Corpach. Good memories of how it used to be done though.

Although the digs were still around I was fortunate to work for a company who was given work by my Mother, I also had the advantage of a log book and a day cab, so as we were on contract to my mums firm, a night out was never on the cards.

The first and last time was when I blew a head gasket near Ripponden and had to sleep on the parcel shelf of a TK Bedford. It was freezing and I left the company soon afterwards. My next job was driving a caravan truck and we either slept in the caravans or on the ferry :stuck_out_tongue:

I was a regular at Mrs Ramsden’s in Leeds and used to get an attic room instead of a dormitory.

The best digs I ever used was in Edinburgh — they didn’t advertise and your face had to fit, but they collected me from the lorry park, hot shower, 3 course dinner, stay in/go out as I wished, supper, room to myself, cooked breakfast and back to the lorry all for about 75p.

The worst ever was in the middle of Perth and a close runner up was one near the old bridge in Gloucester.

The Chessnuts at Bodmin, then down to the jail club for the stripper, first time i’d seen one, I was only 16, back to the digs 18 to a room.
was one in Edinburgh we stayed at regular, when I was a mate on Banbury Buildings can’t remember the name though,
The Globe Hotel in Truro, used to stay there when delivering Winget Dumpers out of Gloucester,
Wish I still had my ‘Lorry Drivers Handbook’ they were all in there, anyone still got one?

Only once have I ever used digs, and tat was because my night heater had gone bang and it were freezin, it was a digs off the M42 near Coventry (Fosse way??) had a meal then up to the room, had to share with one other guy, any way I’d dozed off to wake about an hour later to some strange gentle grunting…

Yes the other guy was glopping himself off!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Swore never again, next night I stayed in the cab, clothed in a sleeping back, freezin and wanting to go home…

Coddy:
Only once have I ever used digs, and tat was because my night heater had gone bang and it were freezin, it was a digs off the M42 near Coventry (Fosse way??) had a meal then up to the room, had to share with one other guy, any way I’d dozed off to wake about an hour later to some strange gentle grunting…

Yes the other guy was glopping himself off!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Swore never again, next night I stayed in the cab, clothed in a sleeping back, freezin and wanting to go home…

Thats a new one… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t get too excited Smee, it’ll be banned tommorrow.

Now, you would’nt be trying to doge the word censor would you… :question: :question: :laughing:

Does anyone remember the Kernel on the A34 between Walsall and Cannock, mind you its been closed years… :question: :question:

smee i remember that place very well had many a brilliant night there.if you didnt pull one of the divorced/single/widowed women you were thought of as gay :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

my first time in digs was jacks cafe in ipswich back in the early 80,s

Yeah, you got a breakfast next morning as part of your parking ticket. Problem was it was that small it came on a saucer!

egg sausage beans and tea.or you could have tea and toast and the newspaper.hated when one of the brothers used to come round with the old school bell at 6am in the morning. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

One of the biggest dumps i stated in was annes place paisley rd glasgow,another was st johns tavern tooley st london se1