Who can afford to drive?

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bid-st … 50637.html
if they don’t do something soon, all these motorway widening schemes will be a complete white elephant. :unamused: :unamused:

When asking for a pay rise this year i’m expected the excuses that we cannot afford it because of fuel price rises as usual, but this time i’m tempted to hand in my notice and say its no longer profitable for me to work here?

Thats a good one

on the run:
When asking for a pay rise this year i’m expected the excuses that we cannot afford it because of fuel price rises as usual, but this time i’m tempted to hand in my notice and say its no longer profitable for me to work here?

That sounds like the tanker’s argument!

The press as usual report it all wrong, since militancy is always seen as against the public interest in this country. My recollection is that rail/tube workers get what they want BECAUSE they are millitant!

Everyone else seems to be on the down escalator that cuts pay, terms, & conditions, then gets the press to report it as “Greedy whatever are going to go on strike for more…”

No they’re not - They are going on strike as not to get LESS! Unlike drivers in the mail industry which is in decline, the firms cannot argue that “fuel is a contracting business” when margins for fuel retail have never been higher! Any token cut in fuel duty will just be made into extra margin for the same fuel firms, so it would be pointless next month to cut fuel duty unless it is a knockout blow of taxing fuel firms at “windfall” rate, coupled with a HUGE cut in fuel duty paid for by the extra revenue taken from fuel firms. Last time I looked, governments are supposed to be elected by the public and not by lobby groups slipping them all manner of “favours”, so it’s about time the public did MORE action against rip-offs rather than less - just because it hasn’t been PC to be militant for some time!

Does anyone else think this move towards tanker drivers is about the anticipated glut of ADR holders come next year? :frowning: :frowning:

Safe the Money for renewing the ADR License.There are more and more Drivers for about the same number of Petrol Stations.
If you are needed the Company would pay for it.

I’m holding out for just that… I’ve already been asked if I’d cross a tanker picket line

“Pay my ADR and credit me the full 35 hours” I replied.

They shut up after that. :grimacing:

Learn to drive. This is what I get out of a 2L MK4 Mondeo TDCi 140, mostly rural A and B roads at or as near to the speed limit as possible. There was about 120 miles of motorway in that, 60 miles being M18/M1 to Nottingham in Mondays rush hour car park and around 30 miles in town/city.

Learn to drive. This is what I get out of a 2L MK4 Mondeo TDCi 140, mostly rural A and B roads at or as near to the speed limit as possible. There was about 120 miles of motorway in that, 60 miles being M18/M1 to Nottingham in Mondays rush hour car park and around 30 miles in town/city.

Last 85 miles were a jolly to Hull and then down some really crappy twisty country roads.

g.co/maps/e4pgt

Conor:

Last 85 miles were a jolly to Hull and then down some really crappy twisty country roads.

g.co/maps/e4pgt

Not everyone can afford a nice new mondeo tdci to save a few quid on fuel :unamused:

Conor:
Learn to drive. This is what I get out of a 2L MK4 Mondeo TDCi 140

More to do with the car than driver ability I would say.

Thats nothing.I can get over 80mpg running down hill in 6th with no foot in.

Learn to drive isn’t the solotion conor.
What this bunch of idiots in Government will slowly realise is all this raiding from the pumps is going to damage them.It already has which is probably why the rise is being given the green light to go ahead.
There is some figures that I really can’t be arsed to google that show since the runaway prices at the pumps and pushing people off the road the treasury is losing money from the fuel duty.
They are putting themselves into a vicious circle.More so putting a tax on a tax that they sneakily added to fuel.
Raiding from the pumps is not doing this economy any good at all.

*You might have to wring it’s neck a little at some point mind conor if it has a DPF fitted.Those DPFS need a little heavy foot sometimes to burn off the deposits otherwise they block up and fail requiring replacement at cira £1000

It does start to impact the viability of taking a job. My Mazda2 averages 60mpg, so at current prices I’m working an average of 1hr of every shift just to pay for the fuel to get to the depot, if the weather’s crap and I have to take the old frontera its 2hrs work to pay for the fuel :imp: then you’ve got tax and nat. ins. as well

I get around 28mpg out of mine although it does drop quite sharply over 130mph.

Winseer:
Does anyone else think this move towards tanker drivers is about the anticipated glut of ADR holders come next year? :frowning: :frowning:

No. The clue is in which union they belong to; the same one who’s egomaniac boss is trying to drum up public support to ■■■■ up the Olympics.

VXR8 6.0 V8 and 450hp, I get no where near that.

waynedl:
Not everyone can afford a nice new mondeo tdci to save a few quid on fuel :unamused:

I got nearly the same out of the car it replaced - a 2004 MK3 Mondeo TDCi 130 I bought at 3 years old with 90k on the clock and sold 3 weeks ago with 165k on.

Harry Monk:

Conor:
Learn to drive. This is what I get out of a 2L MK4 Mondeo TDCi 140

More to do with the car than driver ability I would say.

On a run from Holme on Spalding Moor to Keynsham and back going fully loaded with a tanker of condensed milk, spending an hour running the PTO to discharge it and returning empty I averaged 12MPG in a Scanny 460.

I used to do a run from Ideal Standard to West London along with another driver. Same wagons, same loads, same run. I averaged 9 MPG, he averaged 7MPG. He did it 5 minutes quicker than me.

Were those the driver or the vehicle?

paul@midway:
Thats nothing.I can get over 80mpg running down hill in 6th with no foot in.

Learn to drive isn’t the solotion conor.

When you’ve two wagon drivers doing an identical 450 mile run in the same vehicles with the same loads with one using 220 litres and the other using 280 litres then yes, learning to drive IS the solution. In the example I’ve given, over a year it would be £15,000 cheaper to pay me to do the run than the other driver. Come redundancy time, who do you think would get their P45?

If it isn’t the solution then why are all these companies such as Geopost wasting £100s per driver on economical driving courses? When I did mine I got paid for the week and put up in a 4 star hotel for 4 nights as well as being paid 300 miles travel expenses. If they didn’t think it was worthwhile they’d not have spent the money doing it, would they?

Driving economically isn’t about driving slowly, its about driving smartly. Certainly one of the requirements of the economic driving course I did that was on the final examined drive you had to do it quicker than the first “benchmark” drive of the test route and with fewer gearchanges. You only do faster with fewer gearchanges and more economically by planning ahead and driving smart.

*You might have to wring it’s neck a little at some point mind conor if it has a DPF fitted.Those DPFS need a little heavy foot sometimes to burn off the deposits otherwise they block up and fail requiring replacement at cira £1000

Thats not how you “clean a DPF” and in the manual for my car it even says that if you do trips with increased acceleration and deceleration that you may want to do a journey where you can maintain a constant speed for around 20 minutes to support the automatic regeneration process. It requires a journey done at a speed and duration sufficient to get the temperature in the particle trap above 550C without adding more soot as your suggestion would. I do those type of journeys pretty much most of the time.

Deleted.

When things like fuel costs are an issue then the solution is simple - buy less of it and find alternative ways of doing stuff. As Waynedl pointed out, not everyone can afford a new efficient car so you have to look at other options. I’m fortunate that I live about 500yds from work so primary transport is my feet but in addition to the car and motorbike I’ve also got this…

cost £450 off ebay and does about 130mpg and will sit at 50-55mph all day long. On a cold wet windy mornings it wouldn’t be nice to use so for those odd days but then you use the car!