White Van Man (again)

like i said, limiting to 70 would not have stopped him tailgating, flashing his lights, giving you Vs, driving like an idiot, cutting in etc.

are you seriously telling me you never exceed 70 on the motorway in your (122mph) car? of course you do, as do most people - rightly or wrongly.

now, as we know, white van man is such an ill tempered and poorly educated species that he will quite simply sit in lane 3 at his limited 70 thus causing congestion.

will mondeo man sit patiently behind? i think not. undertaking and dangerous driving would ensue.

would you be happy to share lane 2 with maniacal car drivers trying to pass these restricted vans on the inside? doubt it.

would you be happy to share lane 2 with all the vans banned from lane 3? doubt it.

would you ever be happy? doubt it!

on tachos: i was led to believe that all vans over 2.8t gross will be subject to tacho restrictions in the near future. this would cover smaller transit types also.

manchester rob:
as they say you carnt teach a dog new tricks even with a limiter or advanced driving lessons half of the white van men would still probably drive like [zb]. i think the goverment should spend the 1.3 million on improving facilities for us drivers by providing us with more secure parking etc after all we are the ones who are on the road more agree or disagree but thats what i think.

agreed! and yoiure right, that 1.3 mill would definately be better spent on very sorely needed facilities, well said rob!

http://www.newspress.co.uk/DAILY_LINKS/arc_jan_2006/270106iam.htm

The Link to IAM’s press release.

Interesting how WVM object to being given extra training, just like certain HGV drivers seem to think they know it all too…

manchester rob:
as they say you carnt teach a dog new tricks even with a limiter or advanced driving lessons half of the white van men would still probably drive like [zb]. i think the goverment should spend the 1.3 million on improving facilities for us drivers by providing us with more secure parking etc after all we are the ones who are on the road more agree or disagree but thats what i think.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, if it needs *s to get past the autocensor, take that as a hint you shouldn’t use that word at all (use {zb} instead). Simon :smiley:

sorry simon no offence meant im a newbie to the trucking world and this site i will take heed of your advice

03sprinter:
like i said, limiting to 70 would not have stopped him tailgating, flashing his lights, giving you Vs, driving like an idiot, cutting in etc.

are you seriously telling me you never exceed 70 on the motorway in your (122mph) car? of course you do, as do most people - rightly or wrongly.

now, as we know, white van man is such an ill tempered and poorly educated species that he will quite simply sit in lane 3 at his limited 70 thus causing congestion.

will mondeo man sit patiently behind? i think not. undertaking and dangerous driving would ensue.

would you be happy to share lane 2 with maniacal car drivers trying to pass these restricted vans on the inside? doubt it.

would you be happy to share lane 2 with all the vans banned from lane 3? doubt it.

would you ever be happy? doubt it!

on tachos: i was led to believe that all vans over 2.8t gross will be subject to tacho restrictions in the near future. this would cover smaller transit types also.

I don’t believe White Van Man would embarass himself and sit in lane 3 doing 70 if the inside lanes allowed him to move over safely. On the subject of speeding, yes its true I have exceeded 70 in my car but I’m unable to verify the manufacturers quoted 122 mph top speed :smiling_imp:

The other points about sharing lane 2 etc - as motorways get busier I think the government is going to put more cameras on motorways - the sort that measure average speed. If used this would put people off from speeding anyway. There is also talk about recording the driving time and/or governing the speed of all vehicles used for business purposes, not just vans.

And I’ll be the first to admit, when I’m at work, I’m the model driver 99.9 percent of the time. But I’m a complete git in my car :frowning:

I have followed this thread with interest, as my current vehicle is a Mercedes Sprinter and notice that due to the actions of a couple of drivers both on the road and in radio phone-ins all van drivers are tarred with the same brush.
This is presumably the same brush which is used to tar eastern european drivers, 7.5 tonner drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers etc.

Am I right in thinking that this scheme to improve driving and fuel economy is the same Safed scheme which was offered to LGV drivers last year? How many drivers went on it?

Personally if somebody offered me some training for free I would take it up. I am not going to say that my driving would not improve, or need improvement although like all drivers I can say that my driving is perfect :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: its everybody else on the road.

Talking of stereotypes I could say that all LGV drivers are bullies, after the one in front of me at the M6/M6 toll/ M42 shuffle zone put his indicator on and moved right, with a car alongside who then had to hurredly get out of the way, but I am a reasonable person and the car was probably in his blindspot.

With all this talk of 100 mph plus vans I am going to have to get my 04 Sprinter seen to as it will only do just over 80!! I’ve been done :smiley:

Calv

Mal:

manchester rob:

agreed! and yoiure right, that 1.3 mill would definately be better spent on very sorely needed facilities, well said rob!

agree with you both mal and rob
but 1.3mil wouldent touch the lack of parking for hgvs in the uk

mr jinx:
agree with you both mal and rob
but 1.3mil wouldent touch the lack of parking for hgvs in the uk

It would probably buy about 6 lay-bys!!

Calv

I think the latest Sprinters come with the speed limiter setto 80ish as standard. I’m told the DHL Domestic ones are limited to just under 80.
I think the limiter can be set to the customers specification by the dealer, either raised above standard or lowered to what ever you like.
You’ll notivce you cant rev it above 4000 unless you’re under load like on a hill.

My guess is Merc like most CV makers offer a choice of gear sets, which would again affect you top end.

One of my colleages had a 2.8t FWD transit up to 105 a couple of weeks back. He is very much a WVM.