White Lines (don't do it)

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how ridiculous the road markings have become over the last few years?
‘They’ must be using post graduates with a whizzy piece of ‘road marking software’ designed by someone who is yet to pass their driving test.

I have found that by completely ignoring them and straddling two lanes (particularly at roundabouts) I am having a lot less close calls from car drivers who insist on trying to pass you using lane markings that are too small for trucks.

Does anyone know who is actually in charge of road markings?

When planning the road markings they do not plan for large vehicle use - it is deemed that drivers of large vehicles will adapt and use what is necessary - that’s why it says in the highway code that large vehicles may take a different line when negotiating hazards.

They plan for the numpties but leave the pros to make their own decisions

ROG:
When planning the road markings they do not plan for large vehicle use - it is deemed that drivers of large vehicles will adapt and use what is necessary - that’s why it says in the highway code that large vehicles may take a different line when negotiating hazards.

And unfortunately the modern driver is not taught that by the car instructors, or doesn’t appear to be, so it is the reason for the increase in coffeebean greetings. they do not understand the markings.

And who has decided that every road needs double white lines for 20 miles whether or not there is a bend, hazard, hill or dip?

ROG:

I noticed on roads that were covered in snow a week or so ago that a natural line into round-a-bouts and slip roads was gradually created by traffic, totally ignoring the maked path created by the control freaks on the end of the pencils that design these line layouts :grimacing: .
A charateristic of some of the layouts is a mass of hatching on slip roads with a lane zig zagging its way through. trying to stay within the lane marked by a solid white line whilst driving a HGV without wiping off a load of speed means having to violently swerve from side to side, that can’t be good :unamused:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

And unfortunately the modern driver is not taught that by the car instructors, or doesn’t appear to be, so it is the reason for the increase in coffeebean greetings. they do not understand the markings.

And who has decided that every road needs double white lines for 20 miles whether or not there is a bend, hazard, hill or dip?

This is true in fact is some cases they are taught to obstruct trucks, my freinds wife has been learning to drive, but as he a truck driver she been out in the truck with him and knows that trucks need a bit more room, but when she was learning to drive her instructor told her off when she waited the other side of a bend for the truck to come round as it’s one of those that the an artic needs both lanes. (Coltishall, next to the petrol station if any body knows it) There were a couple of other instances where she held back for a truck and her instructors attitude was that she make the truck wait or force the driver over to the side. :unamused:

Unfortuneatly the standard of driver tuition these days leaves alot to be desired I’m afraid!

The road planner in Sunderland can’t even drive and is a green, ‘I hate all vehicles’ cyclist! and yes, they trust him to mark raods and site traffic lights ( especially on bloody roundabouts FFS) :open_mouth:

Big Joe:
I noticed on roads that were covered in snow a week or so ago that a natural line into round-a-bouts and slip roads was gradually created by traffic, totally ignoring the maked path created by the control freaks on the end of the pencils that design these line layouts :unamused:

Yes I noticed the tracks in the snow. They were much more like the old road markings used to be. These new double apex lanes on roundabouts are unsafe. No wonder there’s so many roll-overs. (Although seatbelts are also to blame for that).

I notice there’s a new pothole reporting website - maybe there should be a ‘stupid lane marking’ website. I’ll nominate M69 - M1 roundabout and Coventry Eastern Bypass - A45 roundabout (by the airport).

ROG:

[/quote]

[/quote]
What section is that in the Highway Code? I must get a copy so I can chuck it at the next car that tries to overtake me on a small roundabout.

something good:
What section is that in the Highway Code? I must get a copy so I can chuck it at the next car that tries to overtake me on a small roundabout.

THE HIGHWAY CODE (Link)

78 advice for cyclists
Give plenty of room to long vehicles on the roundabout as they need more space to manoeuvre. Do not ride in the space they need to get round the roundabout. It may be safer to wait until they have cleared the roundabout.

187 roundabouts
In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals

221 advice for other vehicles
Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be aware that the driver may not be able to see you in the mirrors. Be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.

something good:
‘…road markings…’

Can often be found as little more than expensive & boring grafitti. However, options include them being:

a) Guidance to wise men :wink:
b) For the obeyance of fools :neutral_face:

I learnt to drive recently. Anyway, when i did the theory test, one of the most common questions was about LGVs that would indicate one way(say indicate left) but move out to the right and what to do. Answer was obviously to wait, and not do the other options of pass it on its left, pass it on the right, sit right up behind it or honk your horn.
So there is abit of teaching, but thats about all i can remember i think. I think when i was learning i didnt come across many trucks in situations where i needed to give way/stop.
However, its a hard one onto experience and passing your test. I paid £20 a lesson and passed after only 24 lessons(would of been shorter but i kept putting off my theory, not good in tests :blush: ) so what experience can you get in just 24hours of learning to drive? 23 if you dont count my test.
Some younger drivers will just say oops, and because nothing happened except someone get abit annoyed they leave it and couldnt really care.
There are a few pointless road markings about, pointless cycle lanes, pointless islands, badly designed islands aswell. One of which i really hate. On the ring road(in Nottingham) the Round about by the city hospital/high schools playing fields. The camber is all wrong, i hate riding around it on my bike(fixed wheel so no choice to stop peddling)
Anyone been along the A6097? Between Epperstone and Woodborough and Calverton, theres a mini island. Its a nation speed limit road, with a mini island on :unamused: Absolutly stupid, when you go to turn right to go to Woodborough you have to be so careful because you can never tell if someone is going to stop or just keep ploughing along.
But its ok, it was cheap :unamused:

something good:
Yes I noticed the tracks in the snow. They were much more like the old road markings used to be. These new double apex lanes on roundabouts are unsafe. No wonder there’s so many roll-overs. (Although seatbelts are also to blame for that).

How can seat belts be responsible for rollovers :question: :question: :question:

JoeG:
I learnt to drive recently.
what experience can you get in just 24hours of learning to drive? 23 if you dont count my test.

After passing your car test what advice were you given in regard to further driving development ?

something good:
I have found that by completely ignoring them and straddling two lanes (particularly at roundabouts) I am having a lot less close calls from car drivers who insist on trying to pass you using lane markings that are too small for trucks

have you tried the hangar lane gyrotary in a truck? that can be fun. im getting sick of people who can’t pick the right lane and stick to it. the ammount of people in cars and vans that are wiping my nose at these roundabouts is un real one of these days when they do it im just going to decide not to slam the brakes on and just see what happens :smiling_imp:

ROG:

JoeG:
what experience can you get in just 24hours of learning to drive? 23 if you dont count my test.

After passing your car test what advice were you given in regard to further driving development ?

Pass plus, in the car on the way back he said about the pass plus and he would do it cheaper.
It wouldnt have saved much from my insurance(not as much as what the course would cost, saved more if i went with Direct Line because they give discount if another member of the family is in it), and i had drove at night, in rain, sun, and also in snow/iced over roads and my dad would take me on the motorway so i left it.
Also the fact it only lasts a year (or so i was told) because it doesnt count after that and i wouldnt get a car in the year.
I am, however, up for furthering my driving development. Although now sure how far to go, and it would probably have to wait untill ive been driving a car for a while.

JoeG:

ROG:

JoeG:
Pass plus,

So, nothing about gaining experience and how to recognise good experiences from the bad :question:

From one of my favourite books - MIND DRIVING (Link)

1.1.8 The problem with education
The general level of driver skills has a lot to answer for. Incompetence of some sort is responsible for nearly all casualties and damage on the road. The problem is that risk is poorly understood. And:
the reason can be traced directly back to the L-test.

The level of ability needed to get a full licence is very elementary. Only the basic skills are taught, and the focus is inevitably on the physical side of the task. But crucially, the novice gets no warning of the skills that are missing, nor any meaningful idea of learning after the test. Instead, they are taught to judge their performance against how well they follow the rules, and that the main thing needed after the test is just more practice.

This becomes a direct cause of overconfidence - especially in the young male group. It also gives no motivation to improve skills, and results in a wide range of inconsistent ability on the road as drivers make faltering progress over the years.

There can be no question that, although the L-test is the only legal requirement:
we need drivers to have far more ability than that.
And this in itself admits the failure. Leaving novices to find their own way beyond their basic training lays the ground for a low standard to take root.

The huge piece missing, of course, is the thinking skills. And there will be a breakthrough when driver training reflects this. Drivers need to be shown clearly what these skills are, and how to put them into practice. No one disagrees that: better thinking skills will prevent crashes.

But to inspire any learning at all is tough from where we are today. The wishful thinking, that drivers will find the missing skills themselves, has always been a hindrance in the traditional approach to training. Which then rebounds as a lack of belief in skill.

something good:
I have found that by completely ignoring them and straddling two lanes (particularly at roundabouts) I am having a lot less close calls from car drivers who insist on trying to pass you using lane markings that are too small for trucks.

There was me thinking this thread was about the lives some truck divers lead when on nights out! :laughing:
I have a tendency to straddle two lanes where the road isn’t wide enough. “Hey Mr. Car Driver - my vehicle designed to protect the things inside… yours designed to bend!” :laughing:

JoeG:
One of which i really hate. On the ring road(in Nottingham) the Round about by the city hospital/high schools playing fields.

There are a few silly ones in Nottingham, the lanes are only designed for cars, so when you have a big vehicle you can’t help bu end up taking up two lanes; Raleigh (Crown) Island is good example as well as the roads around the Broadmarsh. The best ones are cars that think they need to take more lane than they need to - Showing them my wheel nuts usually does the trick :grimacing:

Anyone been along the A6097? Between Epperstone and Woodborough and Calverton, theres a mini island. Its a nation speed limit road, with a mini island on :unamused: Absolutly stupid, when you go to turn right to go to Woodborough you have to be so careful because you can never tell if someone is going to stop or just keep ploughing along.

Yes, I was along there the other week. It is a bit silly, but you just treat it as you would any other roundabout irrespective of the speed limit.

Passing the driving test is the easy bit, from thereon the learning and experience begins. Unfortunately it seems that the driving test is treated as a means to an end. After 40 years of driving experience I am still learning, and will continue to learn, driving is about building on experience. Perhaps a mandatory retest every 5 or 10 years might help ?

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:
Perhaps a mandatory retest every 5 or 10 years might help ?

I’m surprised no one has come up with this. It would, after all, be another money making venture to keep some more worthless beaureacrats employed! :unamused:

leyland510:

Fastrantiger:

I’m surprised no one has come up with this. It would, after all, be another money making venture to keep some more worthless beaureacrats employed! :unamused:

There’s always a downside :wink:

Tiger

leyland510:

Fastrantiger:

The Party in power who introduced this would lose the next election - most people have cars and they are the voters !!