Which way.....

I was on the old road between Cambridge and Newmarket and it got me thinking…
The A14 from Catthorpe to Felixstowe via Huntingdon is a fairly new road and is the main artery to the coast. My question is, which way did you older drivers go to Felixstowe from, lets say Manchester, before the A14 was open in its current form? Which towns did you actually go through, does the A14 follow any of the old road, where were the cafes and overnight parking spots?
I remember my old fella saying M62, A1 down to Peterborough then what?

Was on the A14 yesterday beanie going to Southwold for the day, before the A14 was built it would’ve meant going through (from Bedford) Great Barford, St Neots, Cambridge, Newmarket, Bury St Edmunds etc, the only cafe I used to use was the Enterprise cafe,

From Sheffield I used A57 to A1,then off at Alconbury onto A604 to Cambridge and A45 to Ipswich. Or come off A1 at Newark,A17 to King’s Lynn,then A10 and A134 Thetford and A1088 to Elmswell on A45. Also A604 Cambridge - Haverhill onto A12 Colchester by-pass for Harwich.

Not been down that way for ages.

Chris Webb:
From Sheffield I used A57 to A1,then off at Alconbury onto A604 to Cambridge and A45 to Ipswich. Or come off A1 at Newark,A17 to King’s Lynn,then A10 and A134 Thetford and A1088 to Elmswell on A45. Also A604 Cambridge - Haverhill onto A12 Colchester by-pass for Harwich.

In my very early days on the road, sitting in the massive traffic queue to cross the bridge in Huntington sticks in my head. Regards Kev.

Chris Webb:

1088 with a pig of a turn in Ixworth High St! I lived there for a year.