Which way now

I am stuck now I really don’t know what to do. I’m a self employed courier .The last contract I had was van work and hgv driving thrown in as well. After an argument it was mutually decided to go our separate ways. At the moment I ain’t getting much van work .only earning about £200 a week before tax and running costs so not a lot .phoned some agencies and got the no sole traders here only paye so I really don’t no what to do now.any advice please would be appreciated thanks

Is there any reason not to go PAYE? You have to pay tax anyway and it’ll mean money coming in.

Well I was told by the agency that I would be paying full tax on the agency work as it would be classed as a second job also I would be paying the umbrella company to do the tax and ni and also paying my accountant as well it would be a nightmare they said

PAYE paid through an umbrella company ? :frowning:

“PAYE” and “umbrella company” should not mix in the same sentence unless the agency are paying the umbrella company to do the wages, find another agency.

tachograph:
PAYE paid through an umbrella company ? :frowning:

“PAYE” and “umbrella company” should not mix in the same sentence unless the agency are paying the umbrella company to do the wages, find another agency.

+1

sounds very odd

Sorry I meant Ltd.

i am copying my response to a similar questions some time below

horses for courses.

everyone has to make their own choice according their particular circumstances and goals.

Do you want just to work hassle free for less money but the employer takes care of the taxes, holiday pay etc?
do you want to keep control yourself of your taxes, saving cash for holiday/sick cover? Do you want to have the flexibility and work for different companies as a freelancer and manage the relationship and find clients yourself?

these are the kind of questions that might help you to chose

Thanks for the reply priest. Still can’t understand why agencies won’t take on sole traders .

dont know either, it might be insurance policy, or complications in case of an accident (legal and/or financial) or tax related thing.

From what I’ve read HMRC class sole traders as people who own their own trucks!!
You can’t be self employed and drive a company truck apparently there gonna start clamping down on it soon!!

Phoned my accountant and asked her why agencies nearly passout when you mention sole trader she said sole traders are responsible for paying their own tax and insurance. If the agency gives you work they are sort of employing you by hireling you out to companies. So if you do not pay your tax or insurance on the money you earn from the agency. They can become liable for the payment. If you need any further advice go to the gov website .that’s what she said .if true I can understand it now

chunck247:
From what I’ve read HMRC class sole traders as people who own their own trucks!!
You can’t be self employed and drive a company truck apparently there gonna start clamping down on it soon!!

You can be a self employed driver nothing to say you can’t

PAYE & Umbrella company are different things as if you work for more than 1 agency you can choose to use 1 umbrella company & not theres

If you are only earning that amount have you tried claiming working tax credit :question: as that is what it is there for people who work but don’t earn enough yes it is means tested but might be worth phoning & if you have kids working child tax credit ( yes you can as know a young lad who does this & works for him )

Look for another customer or 2 to help bring in more money not easy I know or find someone you can sub to not always easy but can be done

You can go ltd and run it as part of the courier side As an add on you won’t come under ir 35 as you have. Another income stream ie the van have you thought of using city sprint or cx