Which tunnel.

Got a run to Verona and Venice soon.Out of the two tunnels which would be the better to use distance and cost wise will be pulling a fridge trl. Cheers.

Frejus for me. Mont Blanc is a pain in the proverbial!

I normally use Mont Blanc, but I believe they have a convoy system for fridges, so if I had a fridge it would probably be Frejus.

I don’t think there is a great deal in distance between using the 2 tunnels, I think I worked out for Milan it be 80 kms more to use frejus.

Thanks for info had heard some negatives about mont blanc… Cheers.

Personally blanc going verona

Even if fridge it £10 more for ■■■■■■ not normally to long await
Both tunnels same price and blanc be less miles

If curtain and loads buldging use frejus and cost small fortune for ■■■■■■ through blanc for that

i’d go down thru Swiss

Alright if can get correct papers from shipper to get customs docs done
But any agro still be quicker blanc

What about down thru Austria?

andrewv8:
What about down thru Austria?

I dunno about costs down through France these days, but MAUT through Germany is at least €150 to Kaifersfelden. Then there’s the Austrian tolls and slow speeds.

Is it worth it ?

Monte Bianco !!

WhiteWhiteWhite:
Monte Bianco !!

Only use that when coming home. :laughing:

If do go austria need winter spec thres and snow chains til 15/4 or 5000 euro fine if snowing and not drivers talk have seen the paperwork from austrian police
Also night ban now 2000-0500 until 15/4 thenreverts back to 2200 start
Also if have the L badge to travel the night ban then now you must have a euro6 to transit in sbruck overnight

Mont blanc far quicker easier and just as cheap

gettin-on:
If do go austria need winter spec thres and snow chains til 15/4 or 5000 euro fine if snowing and not drivers talk have seen the paperwork from austrian police
Also if have the L badge to travel the night ban then now you must have a euro6 to transit in sbruck overnight

Fair enough, been a few years since I last went through Austria. Don’t you need 2 carry snow chains for the Blanc & Frejus?

andrewv8:

gettin-on:

Fair enough, been a few years since I last went through Austria. Don’t you need 2 carry snow chains for the Blanc & Frejus?

Iirc you have to carry snow chains in a lot of regions between October and March but if the weather turns,park up for a bit.

There’s always the coast road. Very nice.

Even fridge trailers can haul ADR loads.Mount Blanc do not accept ADR.
Frejus does but you need to stop about 20 miles before the Frejus and book in with the Pompiers or fire brigade.
They verify the load off the manifest/cmr to check what is safe if the load is mixed or not.
It is easy to go past the check point.They have been known to check the unit and trailer for the correct Ppe and kit for Adr.
There is plenty of parking around Verona,the industrial area is ok.Side street is ok.Or garage forecourt.Factory area.

Very good truckstop at Brescia Est or East.It is off the A4 toll road.There is a gym for drivers,numerous restaurants and snack bars if in a hurry.
Motel for drivers with a discount.Fridge hook up points…
The traffic around Milan can be a nightmare at peak times.
If you come off the toll roads,the road signs in rural areas do not make sense.
In villages and towns there are low balconies by houses to contend with and a good chance to get stuck in villages and towns.
The Police are ok and will leave you alone.
Lights on in day light as that is their law.Try the Lavaza coffee.It is everywhere.A triple expresso will keep you wired for a week.

limeyphil:

Ventimigllia, you are a funny joke man :blush:

newmercman:

limeyphil:

Yes, Very very nice.
Hard to concentrate on the road whilst looking at the scenery.

limeyphil:

newmercman:

limeyphil:

Yes, Very very nice.
Hard to concentrate on the road whilst looking at the scenery.

The scenery is spectacular, no doubt about that, especially if you take the Route Napoleon down to the coast (which I have done) but as a cheaper alternative to the tunnels, no way, the only reason to use this route is if you have a hazardous load that the tunnels won’t allow through, or a drop in that part of France on the way down :wink: