Which should I go for? ADR or Hiab/Crane!

I’ve been thinking! :open_mouth: I have 14 hours completed for the Dcpc and if I must do the last 21 hours I want value for my hard earned! Just need good advice as to which way to go to get a ticket and finish the hours remaining for 2014! :sunglasses:

The only HIAB course worth doing is the CITB one, I did the RTITB one and it is not recognized by builders merchants/builders/utility companies etc (the biggest users of them).

Do a hiab course, I used to know someone who had his own 6 legger grab lorry and his phone was always ringing with people wanting things picked up or stuff dumped, I think he was doing very well.

AFAIK the only problem with HIAB atm is that there isn`t a unified ticket (1 ticket for all)
it needs the CITB & RTIBT to get their finger out and unify the qualification for the transport industry

Sigma studies at coryton are good for ADR etc.

peirre:
AFAIK the only problem with HIAB atm is that there isn`t a unified ticket (1 ticket for all)
it needs the CITB & RTIBT to get their finger out and unify the qualification for the transport industry

Be careful what you wish for - there are thousands and thousands of competent people using hiabs with tickets like ALLMI who might be more than a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ to find they suddenly needed to go and do some vastly over-complicated, expensive, short-lived qualification like CPCS instead.

Look what adding great steaming heaps of regulation and red-tape just for the sake of unifying things has done to transport in this country.

And don’t forget wages are ridiculously poor for the added responsibility of using a hiab, nobody seems to recognise it as an additional skill set , especially the biggest users of them, builders merchants, its about time the wage was raised to reflect this , I see far to many minimum wage Jove for hiab work but I guess qs long as there people prepared to work for it the wage will not rise …

Around here on the agencies, you’ll find having a hiab means taking a pay cut.

This assumes the difference between C+E with no HIAB - you’ll only be offered C+E work at it’s higher rate.

Then there’s C+E with HIAB, at which point “strangely there’s no C+E work this week bud, how about this £8.50ph Class II Hiab work instead?”

Apparently agencies books are overflowing with HIAB work, which sounds good until you realise that the C+E work will ‘dry up’ (for you!) as soon as you start doing it… It’ll be HIAB instead of C+E rather than the anticipated C+E AND Hiab “extra string to your bow” concept. :frowning:

Moving to the subject of Moffet, and I notice ads saying things like “Lots of Handball”…
Eh? How does that work when unloading an artic trailer out in a country lane up a footpath into a farmhouse?

You CAN deliver bricks WITHOUT a HIAB/Moffet ticket after all - IF you don’t mind a bit of “header” as opposed to “handball”!!

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Winseer:

This assumes the difference between C+E with no HIAB - you’ll only be offered C+E work at it’s higher rate.

Then there’s C+E with HIAB, at which point “strangely there’s no C+E work this week bud, how about this £8.50ph Class II Hiab work instead?”
Apparently agencies books are overflowing with HIAB work, which sounds good until you realise that the C+E work will ‘dry up’ (for you!) as soon as you start doing it… It’ll be HIAB instead of C+E rather than the anticipated C+E AND Hiab “extra string to your bow” concept. :frowning:

Moving to the subject of Moffet, and I notice ads saying things like “Lots of Handball”…
Eh? How does that work when unloading an artic trailer out in a country lane up a footpath into a farmhouse?

You CAN deliver bricks WITHOUT a HIAB/Moffet ticket after all - IF you don’t mind a bit of “header” as opposed to “handball”!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FluIkJ1opHY

Thats how it was for me when doing agency working. Missing out on a nice cushy trunk with 12hrs paid, getting an 8hr shift at a builders merchant grafting.

I’ve had some good perm jobs with hiab doing roof trusses and concrete stairs/landings, but when it comes to agency work the hiab tickets a handicap.

An ADR is much more handy and opens plenty of doors. Here in Scotchland plenty work doing the whisky.

Winseer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FluIkJ1opHY

I was doing some muti drop work for one of the pallet networks a fewe years back and we were delivering pallets of bricks and bulk bags of slate and even soil with a pallet truck and tail lift!

my adr runs out at the end of july,i dont think im gonna bother renewing it coz i can`t justify the expence…i would do the refresher,but training providers only seem willing to offer full courses which obviously are more profitable

Wouldnt bother with hiab, most places will want to train you themselfs, as above theres no standardised test.

Thanks for that! My mate has Hiab and works on utilities with Murphy in London! Can’t decide which to go for? Tanker work seems to be a closed shop these days especially in Coryton! Anyone know anything about tankers?

dessy:
Thanks for that! My mate has Hiab and works on utilities with Murphy in London! Can’t decide which to go for? Tanker work seems to be a closed shop these days especially in Coryton! Anyone know anything about tankers?

Yeah, lazy bunch of ■■■■■ on £100,000 a year plus 4 on 12 off shift!

44 Tonne Ton:

dessy:

Yeah, lazy bunch of [zb] on £100,000 a year plus 4 on 12 off shift!

Where do I sign up guvnor? :laughing: