which satnav

Hi There

just a quick one, I know this is probably a very old question however my Satnav has just given up the ghost and so am in the market for a new one, I have seen the TOMTOM 5150 and also the Garmin truck ones plus the snooper s7000 ones that are available but dont know which one to go for. Apologies if this is a boring or tired subject for some but I thought I would canvass the guys that should know and before you say worry I do take a bridge height atlas as backup. In advance many thanks team and safe trips.

I recently brought a Garmin car nav with lifetime maps and traffic covering UK & Europe. I will back it up with a good ole paper truck atlas to check my routes manually.

With the extra £400 saved from buying a truck nav I shall have a jolly nice time. That is all.

Let the debate begin…

I use the Garmin 560, I’ve also tried the Tom Tom and Snooper that some of our other drivers use.
To be honest, there’s not much to choose between them.
None are perfect 100% of the time but all will do the job well enough, so my advice would be go for the one you can get the best deal on.

Worth looking on ebay too, I got my Garmin on there, 2 months old that had been used as a demonstrator in a shop. Was all complete and boxed except the powered mount was missing.
I paid £155 plus £25 for a new mount from Garmin. Big saving on £370 for a brand new one.

Ive got one of the cheap chinese ones off ebay, £70ish and no complaints or problems.

brought one of chris about 1yrs ago had a small prob with it and he went out of his way to solve it, in fact he sent me a upgraded card with the 2012 maps on it and its never failed me yet its got height, weight, axles, artic ect.

ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRUCK-7-H … 3a7dba648a

steve

oh and hes a driver as well and the satnavs are in the uk.

I use a Garmin 560, it’s been excellent so far and the latest software update fixed a lot of really annoying bugs.

Would buy again.

The snooper truck one seems to be well rated. I find the Tom Tom car one and decent atlas plus the odd google maps on the phone good enough.

Hi Mate ,

Don’t pay over the top these’s are tried and tested !
Go on Ebay and type in Truck Sat Navs or hopefully my link will work, they have got Europe on too, and much better than Snooper etc and only £109.00 or the one on the link is £75.00 !!
ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-Truck- … 3cbf876554

Good Luck
Rob :smiley:

I am using iGO TruckNav for Android, pretty decent but does miss the occasional bridge and weight restriction if I am honest, but is only the odd one normally, sods law being at the time you really want it as I only use the Nav for the last bit into a new job.

kr79:
The snooper truck one seems to be well rated. I find the Tom Tom car one and decent atlas plus the odd google maps on the phone good enough.

+1. Add the low bridges and various fuel card POIs, a bit of MK1 common sense and MK1 eyeball and you’re good to go.

I do find the IQ routes a bit bloody annoying though. Giving different routes depending on time of day doesn’t really work for trucks.

I would say that a quick shuftie of the map to see what motorway you need to get off and using the Satnav for the last few miles is probably how most truck drivers with any experience are going to use it. We know how to get to Birmingham, its when we get there we may need a little help.

I bought the new PRO 5150 from here naonline.co.uk/satellite-nav … -truck.php

Fantastic bit of kit top spec and not long released and is cheaper than older models. The link above also let you pay it up over 4 ZERO interest payments.

I use the Snooper S8000
£350 from the satnav warehouse.
Lot of money but you can enter the size & weight of the truck & it routes you round low bridges & weight limits, not had many problems except a couple of weight limits or roads that have bollards halfway up 'em, probably just need to upgrade the maps.
Also got a TV in it & you can use it with memory cards to watch films (if you can work out how to download stuff in the right format, I need to ask a teenager !! )
I use it nearly every day & before anyone starts ■■■■■■■■ ‘Oh your not a proper driver’ I have got a Bridge height map in one of the overheads & having driven locally (50mile radious) for the last 15/20 years & now nationally, a lot of Citys & towns have changed/grown. Bypasses have been built around places that I used to drive through & I find a satnav very usefull, she’s got a ■■■■ voice aswell. :slight_smile:

What would be the pros and cons of maybe buying a mini tablet I wonder and finding some truck software to tie in with it’s map and navigation app.
Does such a thing exist for an ipad or its like?

I use the Renault truck nav on my iPad on a daily basis never let me down yet

I recently bought the TomTom 5150 and it’s a great piece of kit. Back it up with Philips Navigator Truckers Map and an Inner London Truckers Map.

Zero problems so far.

I had a Snooper, that was terrible. I took it back after three weeks and bought a Tomtom 7100 instead. that’s much better. :smiley:

I’ve just bought a Snooper S5000 and I’d recommend it to anyone. You do need to have a play with it before you use it because it’s not as easy to use as a tomtom but once you get used to it it’s great.

martinviking:
I use the Snooper S8000

Also got a TV in it & you can use it with memory cards to watch films (if you can work out how to download stuff in the right format, I need to ask a teenager !! )

the video mode recognizes AVI format
snooperneo.co.uk/UserManuals … 1%20EN.pdf

I got the Tom Tom 5150 the day after they were released.
Never once have I had a problem with it. I disabled the Tom Tom speed cams and put pocketgpsworld cams on. It’s a fantastic peice of kit.