Which sat nav

Which is the best truck sa…only joking. :smiley:

Anybody remember that last thing with GPS signals about 6 months ago, when everybody’s sat nav stopped working.
Got mine sorted by re.booting and updating on pc, worked fine…until today.
Just me or anybody else had probs?

In a dilemna…Will need rescued from Bristol…anybody help?
Need to get back home to take a week on the sick until it’s fixed.

A TomTom? by any chance?

Twoninety88:
A TomTom? by any chance?

Yep…you having same prob?

Sort of, I have a car one in the truck just for awkward streets and cameras, and it came up with ‘your map is 573 months out of date’, wouldn’t find the satellites properly either, just took it home Monday, updated the maps, and noticed a GPS fix too, installed both and its now works ok.

robroy:

Twoninety88:
A TomTom? by any chance?

Yep…you having same prob?

Got a (very) old TomTom motorbike satnav here that hasn’t been used in anger for several years. TomTom advised me by email several months ago that it wouldn’t continue to work properly after the GPS date rollover.

So I fired it up just now (once I’d given the batteries half an hour to recharge). Works perfectly (including displaying the correct time and ETA, which were the things TomTom told me it would no longer be able to do…). Only issue with it now is that TomTom won’t provide map updates, so it’ll slowly become less and less useful over the next decade or two.

Also tried the same with wifey’s (retired 12 months since and replaced with a shiny new one) TomTom car unit. Works just fine.

I received an email from tomtom earlier this week urging me to update my maps

peirre:

The potential for concern arises not when they urge you to update your maps, but when they email to say they are no longer able to offer updates for your device (or that, as mentioned earlier, your device is not only no longer supported but also will stop working. Except it doesn’t…)

I remember having some issues with mine (Trucker Pro 6000) not finding satellites and losing connection all the time. Then it worked again.

I had an email telling me to update my maps. I only did it a couple of months ago. It’s been its usual stupid self today, no out of the ordinary issues anyway.
I wasn’t going to elaborate but it’s so forkin frustrating I feel I must.
Building site in manningtree I’ve done a few times is in a weight limit. No probs because it’s except for access. The TomTom trucker, as usual, thinks only the first part of the road is weight limited so it try’s to send me down an unsuitable lane that happens to come onto the road I want just about 200 yards after the start of it!!! Mine does this to me all the time! The snooper s2000 I bought in the mid 2000’s never did this and also showed bridges and weight limits on its tiny screen. TomTom trucker is s**t [emoji35]

I can’t imagine being so dependent on sat nav :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

How can you not depend on one. :unamused:
There are bridges out there that can be hit ffs,.what am I supposed to do eh??
Only one thing for it, I’m going to have to carry a spare.
Somebody told me the other day that drivers never used to have them, and had to find their own way around :laughing: , I must look really gullible…bloody rdc ■■■■■■■■ again eh? :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

Just to clarify. Obviously I use it as an aid. If I totally depended on it for the job I do I wouldn’t get half the drops done [emoji23]
Including tomorrow’s 8 sites I will have done 25 drops this week, all building ■■■■■■ ranging from one house up to massive housing developments. A lot of times the post codes are made up and either don’t exists or are miles away from the site so a lot of common sense and intuition has to be used. Sat nav just helps me get areas quicker.

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

How can you not depend on one. :unamused:
There are bridges out there that can be hit ffs,.what am I supposed to do eh??
Only one thing for it, I’m going to have to carry a spare.
Somebody told me the other day that drivers never used to have them, and had to find their own way around :laughing: , I must look really gullible…bloody rdc ■■■■■■■■ again eh? :unamused:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

nomiS36:

Punchy Dan:

Just to clarify. Obviously I use it as an aid. If I totally depended on it for the job I do I wouldn’t get half the drops done [emoji23]
Including tomorrow’s 8 sites I will have done 25 drops this week, all building [zb] ranging from one house up to massive housing developments. A lot of times the post codes are made up and either don’t exists or are miles away from the site so a lot of common sense and intuition has to be used. Sat nav just helps me get areas quicker.

Hopefully my days are done doing house building sites ,used to deliver john Mansfield timber ,meadow stone , stancliffe stone and do the waste collection amongst others ,used to rely on either the yellow signs ,a good address or someone having been before in the days when it was safe to drive with the blower trapped against one ear and A-z in the other hand :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

nomiS36:

Punchy Dan:

Including tomorrow’s 8 sites I will have done 25 drops this week, all building [zb] ranging from one house up to massive housing developments. A lot of times the post codes are made up and either don’t exists or are miles away from the site so a lot of common sense and intuition has to be used. Sat nav just helps me get areas quicker.

Hopefully my days are done doing house building sites ,used to deliver john Mansfield timber ,meadow stone , stancliffe stone and do the waste collection amongst others ,used to rely on either the yellow signs ,a good address or someone having been before in the days when it was safe to drive with the blower trapped against one ear and A-z in the other hand :open_mouth:

You delivered to my house a few months ago with a lump of RSJ !
How’s the Old truck going ?

Still going well m8 touch wood thanks ,hows the house doing ?

What settings do you put in Punchy? Steam powered and wood burner aren’t options on mine! :smiley:

Beau Nydel:
What settings do you put in Punchy? Steam powered and wood burner aren’t options on mine! :smiley:

I used to have a TomTom one the little square car one it must be getting up 20 yrs old but like has been said the signal got turned off ,the best thing I thought about it was planning with the time left at the end of the day as to how far I was likely to get ,I’am quite happy with street maps and a look on google earth :wink:

Punchy Dan:
I used to have a TomTom one the little square car one it must be getting up 20 yrs old but like has been said the signal got turned off ,the best thing I thought about it was planning with the time left at the end of the day as to how far I was likely to get ,I’am quite happy with street maps and a look on google earth :wink:

There was no “turning off” of any signals - TomTom simply stopped providing map updates for older devices. They still continued to work just as they always did, but the maps were not updated. The second issue was the “week number rollover”, which occurred in April of this year. Because of the way the week number is stored and transmitted, it resets to zero every 1024 weeks (i.e. almost 20 years). Some GPS devices cannot cope with this. The failure mode could be as minor as no longer displaying the correct time/date, or being unable to calculate ETA, although it is possible some devices will be unable to calculate their position correctly. I have a “TomTom One” here - it still works perfectly…

Roymondo:

peirre:

The potential for concern arises not when they urge you to update your maps, but when they email to say they are no longer able to offer updates for your device (or that, as mentioned earlier, your device is not only no longer supported but also will stop working. Except it doesn’t…)

I fail to see the problem if they’re no longer offering updates. As we keep getting told by countless on here paper maps are much more superior so a Satnav which doesn’t get any more updates is no different to a paper map which won’t get any until there’s a new revision printed a year or two or more later.