Which route to take?

hi all
i’m thinking of driving to the inlaws place in carvoeiro portugal, just wonder which way would be the cheapest(would treat the drive down as part of the holiday) .

1. take the tunnel to france and drive down stopping in hotels , euro tunnel want around £150.00 return

2.take ferry from portsmouth to santander then drive down from there , ferry is approx £1170.00

please help :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bigstu99:
hi all
i’m thinking of driving to the inlaws place in carvoeiro portugal, just wonder which way would be the cheapest(would treat the drive down as part of the holiday) .

1. take the tunnel to france and drive down stopping in hotels , euro tunnel want around £150.00 return

2.take ferry from portsmouth to santander then drive down from there , ferry is approx £1170.00

please help :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• fuel, sounds like an expensive option to me, and, will your passenger enjoy the driving, its a long way down there ■■?
    Flying would be cheaper, plenty of “deals” ATM, a ■■■■ sight quicker aswell, car rental is cheap in the town, the taxis+mini buses are cheap from the airport aswell.
    Its a cracking little town, some superb resturants, and, up the road, even more superb resturants, ALL cheap, even with the € causing so many problems :sunglasses:

we’re planning our august holidays at the moment and its cheaper to drive from Malaga to Cardiff for 2 aduts and 1 kiddywink than fly, even with the so called “cheap” flights. that is if you include a weeks car hire in Cardiff as well and there’s no restriction on baggage.

welshboyinspain:
we’re planning our august holidays at the moment and its cheaper to drive from Malaga to Cardiff for 2 aduts and 1 kiddywink than fly, even with the so called “cheap” flights. that is if you include a weeks car hire in Cardiff as well and there’s no restriction on baggage which means I have no problems taking my Sheep Farmers ■■■■ collection with me .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whats up paul? pick on me cos the manc’s lost?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

when is t’other site back?

welshboyinspain:
we’re planning our august holidays at the moment and its cheaper to drive from Malaga to Cardiff for 2 aduts and 1 kiddywink than fly, even with the so called “cheap” flights. that is if you include a weeks car hire in Cardiff as well and there’s no restriction on baggage.

I`ve got a mate over here, who is from Malaga, he normally drives “home” [like a lunatic], who is flying this year, as its cheaper ■■?.

Mind you, he lives within gobbing distance of EMA, there are more flights from there, this might have something to do with it, and he is avoiding the August stampede !!!

Stanley Mitchell:

welshboyinspain:

I`ve got a mate over here, who is from Malaga, he normally drives “home” [like a lunatic], who is flying this year, as its cheaper ■■?.

Mind you, he lives within gobbing distance of EMA, there are more flights from there, this might have something to do with it, and he is avoiding the August stampede !!!

3 seats Malaga to Cardiff in august with bmi baby nearly 900 euros return plus hire car for 2 weeks.
3 seats Malaga to Bristol with ryanair lands at 23.45 (good time for a 4 year old on spanish body clock) 700 euro
3 seats Malaga to bristol with easyjet lands better time but 800 euro
one peugeot 206 hdi malaga to cardiff about 500 euros each way plus 50 quid ferry plus the little one wants to go to disney so can call on the way up or the way back

welshboyinspain:

Stanley Mitchell:

welshboyinspain:

3 seats Malaga to Cardiff in august with bmi baby nearly 900 euros return plus hire car for 2 weeks.
3 seats Malaga to Bristol with ryanair lands at 23.45 (good time for a 4 year old on spanish body clock) 700 euro
3 seats Malaga to bristol with easyjet lands better time but 800 euro
one peugeot 206 hdi malaga to cardiff about 500 euros each way plus 50 quid ferry plus the little one wants to go to disney so can call on the way up or the way back

So you’ve got a 24 hour drive at the start and finish of your holiday in order, with a 4 year old in the car, to save what, 100 euros or so?

not 24 hours in one go though, leisurly drive with suitable pitstops and hotels, don’t they say getting there is part of the holiday? it might seem a bit daft to save 100 euro but in the long run we can carry all sorts up like beer and wine for the family and guaranteed my mother will load us up with pressies for xmas rather than the expense she normally has of posting them.
plus the disney detour will make the journey worthwhile

welshboyinspain:
not 24 hours in one go though, leisurly drive with suitable pitstops and hotels, don’t they say getting there is part of the holiday? it might seem a bit daft to save 100 euro but in the long run we can carry all sorts up like beer and wine for the family and guaranteed my mother will load us up with pressies for xmas rather than the expense she normally has of posting them.

i have just looked at easyjet,they want £850.0 ret for 2 adults and 2 kids with out luggage and then on top of that i’m looking at £400.00 for car hire for two weeks .

got a while to think it over , one morething are the f1 hotels around and would they be on my route??

welshboyinspain:

Well that’s more like it! Why didn’t you say so? Hope it all goes well. :wink:

Etap hotels do some good deals, i use them if i get weekended.

You know all you chaps saying fly should realise some of us like driving! Surely a nice drive to Portugal with some nice stops and visits is part of the holiday. Certainly beats flying for me. I’ve vowed never to fly in Europe again. Will be taking the car to the Alps for snowboarding in the winter. It’s all part of the fun.

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:
You know all you chaps saying fly should realise some of us like driving! Surely a nice drive to Portugal with some nice stops and visits is part of the holiday. Certainly beats flying for me. I’ve vowed never to fly in Europe again. Will be taking the car to the Alps for snowboarding in the winter. It’s all part of the fun.

+1

Next two weeks time I will drive to Poland with my girlfriend again and return back from Poland, my “sister in law” & her husband will come with us back to England for their holiday - more cheap than fly & hire car also stress free!

Simple thing is control the budget
book the ferry or train on off peak times
book the cheap hotel - Etap / Formule 1
use the cruise control along on the way if you have one
bring own food & drinks - gas cooker & cooler box - find a nice spot for picnic during driving breaks
take your time driving - 60 - 65ish mph
fill up the cheap diesel or petrol like I did filled up at Belgium before enter Germany and filled up again in Poland
No baggages restrictions! - could be useful for stocks up - cheaper beers, food and tobaccos
More adventurous
that is work to beat the flight price! :smiley: