Which one do you like?

AndrewG:

Freight Dog:

muckles:

Not sure what’s wrong with Turbos, been around for years,.

Nothing wrong with turbos on their own. I don’t mind them. It seems a bit of an open door to Porsche enthusiasts in the context of how they’re used.

The way I understand it, and I have to admit I do agree now…

Porsche has always had a pedigree with NA. It also has had history with high performance turbo cars. Again, for reasons hard to explain some favoured NA and some bought the turbo.

The way it was explained to me was you always had choice. Unlike the 930, the turbos that are now being used aren’t for performance, they’re for emmissions. They’re there to make up for the small capacity engines. The latest cayman is a 2 cylinders down and now a 4 cylinder turbo. It sounds like a flipping Subaru. Of course you could merit the technicality of squeezing more juice out of small eco lemons, but that loops straight around to what are making these for? For customers to buy them.

Nothing like the howl of the flat six being booted. The Caymans 4cyl turbo has all but lost its appeal in that respect…

Your opinion is shared by the masses :laughing: . The scooby engined 718 is keeping 981 values up as the last 6 cylinder NA cayman ha.

Freight Dog:

AndrewG:

Freight Dog:

muckles:

Not sure what’s wrong with Turbos, been around for years,.

Nothing wrong with turbos on their own. I don’t mind them. It seems a bit of an open door to Porsche enthusiasts in the context of how they’re used.

The way I understand it, and I have to admit I do agree now…

Porsche has always had a pedigree with NA. It also has had history with high performance turbo cars. Again, for reasons hard to explain some favoured NA and some bought the turbo.

The way it was explained to me was you always had choice. Unlike the 930, the turbos that are now being used aren’t for performance, they’re for emmissions. They’re there to make up for the small capacity engines. The latest cayman is a 2 cylinders down and now a 4 cylinder turbo. It sounds like a flipping Subaru. Of course you could merit the technicality of squeezing more juice out of small eco lemons, but that loops straight around to what are making these for? For customers to buy them.

Nothing like the howl of the flat six being booted. The Caymans 4cyl turbo has all but lost its appeal in that respect…

Your opinion is shared by the masses :laughing: . The scooby engined 718 is keeping 981 values up as the last 6 cylinder NA cayman ha.

Just love the shape of the Cayman and have often thought about changing (Carrera 997 4s 3.8 2007year) but just love the way the things drives and above all sounds :smiley: I reckon prices will be on the rise for all 6pot Caymens inc the Boxster. A Porsche with a 4pot just isnt right…

Sorry to interrupt the ■■■■■■■■■ of growling v12 straight throughs, but just in case you have not recently watched the news… We’re running a bit short of the sticky stuff that is needed to make them 12 pots whirl up and down…

Stick your head in the sand as much as you want, but the reality is that the internal combustion engine is running out of fuel. Literally.

You had beter start like lingerie that wwooosh of the electric racing car coming round…

the nodding donkey:
Sorry to interrupt the ■■■■■■■■■ of growling v12 straight throughs, but just in case you have not recently watched the news… We’re running a bit short of the sticky stuff that is needed to make them 12 pots whirl up and down…

Stick your head in the sand as much as you want, but the reality is that the internal combustion engine is running out of fuel. Literally.

You had beter start like lingerie that wwooosh of the electric racing car coming round…

Eh up Donkey. No, you’re misunderstanding. I’m well aware, the same root product provides a derivative that powers turbines. I’m expressing personal feeling on products I would go for or would not. And at the moment like it or lump it there is choice.

Whilst I have a choice that’s my current preference. Doesn’t mean when forced, or engaging alternatives from certain manufacturers comes along, I won’t be changing.

You can’t force enthusiasm based upon projections anymore than you can force someone to love someone else. You can force them to do it, but that’s quite different.

No one in East Germany loved the Trabant. They had no choice. If a company creates a product that lights my fire, they’ll get my hard earned from me. Whilst I have choice.

AndrewG:
Just love the shape of the Cayman and have often thought about changing (Carrera 997 4s 3.8 2007year) but just love the way the things drives and above all sounds :smiley: I reckon prices will be on the rise for all 6pot Caymens inc the Boxster. A Porsche with a 4pot just isnt right…

Yeah the handling is incredible. Mid engined.

I love the 997!I’d always fancied the 997.2 turbo. Drooled over one the other day at the opc :laughing: . I hope residuals do go up :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

Oil is obviously a finite resource, but the predictions of how long it will last always seems to end up as very pessimistic, in the 70’s I was told the World would run out of oil by the end of the Century. (my 10 year old self and the spaced out hippy’s that lived in the house discussed the possibility of developing clockwork cars to replace the internal combustion engine, :open_mouth: we didn’t pursue it as we felt any threat to the monopoly of the oil companies could see our untimely demise and the Mars bars had arrived, :confused: but it’s an idea I feel that still has many merits, with multi spring engines you could have V8’s and V12’s and other options and pit crews with giant keys waiting for the car to come in. :laughing: )

When I worked on the North Sea gas terminal in the 80’s I was told that there was 30 years worth left in the North Sea.

We now have predictions between 30 to 50 years left and proven reserves have increased from about 700 billion barrels in the 1980’s to about 1700 billion barrels as they find new reserves or ways of extracting oil from existing fields.

But yes at present levels of demand it will run out and/or the costs of extraction, both economic and environmental, will be far higher than many of us are willing to accept.

I do wonder if EV’s are really the future or a stepping stone or just a stop gap measure, but looking forward to see what former petrolheads can do with EV’s when they can’t mess about with ICE cars. :smiley:

Why isn’t nature constantly creating oil? Why aren’t apes evolving into man? Why isn’t man evolving into the next stage? Confusing times my friends, confusing times.

the maoster:
Why isn’t nature constantly creating oil? Why aren’t apes evolving into man? Why isn’t man evolving into the next stage? Confusing times my friends, confusing times.

Dunno about nature, but TV and Social Media are creating more snake oil salesmen every day.
Why would an ape want to become more like us?
The next stage for us maybe best postponed for a long time?
And politicians are never confused at all, they all KNOW the future. Pity they cant all agree on what it is though, I spose.

the maoster:

And…if we can make fully synthetic oil…why cant we make fully synthetic petrol/ diesel…

AndrewG:

the maoster:

And…if we can make fully synthetic oil…why cant we make fully synthetic petrol/ diesel…

I think you’ll find that Synthetic oil is made from Crude oil, but in such a way it’s far purer?

However I seem to remember hearing about Brazil making fuel from sugar based alcohol, if that took off it would make Norfolk the Texas of the UK. :open_mouth: After all we’ve already got plenty of good ol boi’s with pick-up’s and guns. :laughing:

muckles:

AndrewG:

the maoster:

I think you’ll find that Synthetic oil is made from Crude oil, but in such a way it’s far purer?

However I seem to remember hearing about Brazil making fuel from sugar based alcohol, if that took off it would make Norfolk the Texas of the UK. :open_mouth: After all we’ve already got plenty of good ol boi’s with pick-up’s and guns. :laughing:

It was t.i.c… :wink:
Re Norfolk, looks like ■■■■ seed has took off in production in recent years. Brazil though has always been expert in sugar cane ethanol…

TiredAndEmotional’s signature:
Beaver banned? WTF?

Not wishing to take this topic off-topic…

FYI:

Beaver is NOT banned.

dieseldave:

Beaver banned? WTF?

FYI:

Beaver is NOT banned.

So why not post it in the thread that he started not one that Lucy is using for info?

Tired and Emotional thread

scottie0011:

dieseldave:

Beaver banned? WTF?

FYI:

Beaver is NOT banned.

So why not post it in the thread that he started not one that Lucy is using for info?

Tired and Emotional thread

The move is done, and thanks for the tip. :smiley: