Which of the other Ex-pats in N. America have you met?

Ive been wondering about this since last night, and would like to know who you have met while driving over here.
I had a good 3 and a bit hour sit down and general gossip with bobthedog in the Flying J in Sherwood Park, Just east of Edmonton last night.
We had a good gossip about the usual stuff, and a few moans about the usual stuff us drivers like to moan about when we meet up :smiley:
All in all was a really nice opportunity to meet a fellow expat, and to put a person and face to someone ive known from on here. PS it was also my first venture inside a truck stop over here, apart from Nisku which isnt a proper truck stop really.

Oh btw bob, you will never guess where i had to deliver to today :stuck_out_tongue: a building across the road from the J. I did have a quick drive thru the lot in my truck to see if you were there still. but wasnt too sure as there was now a row of 3 red petes lol.

Was great to meet you, Jon.

Nah, I got the load through at lunchtime so I hightailed it to Whitecourt to load up. Got home tonight.

I have met several of the expats now, although I think you are one of the ones from further away that I have metā€¦

I have met a few ā€¦
Bob the Dog of course, had diner in Applebeeā€™s, Queensbury, NY with him.
Dave bastin (drives for Chiquita bananas out of Baltimore.
Rich Browne (Longwayround) ā€¦ no choice there cos we work together. :smiley:
Ian Sailsbury (Bulldog)
I have driven down I -87 with some bloke called Joe who drove for Yanke.

Yes, Mr Hasler, and it was a pleasure to meet you all. My turn next time. Maybe you should get up to Manitobaā€¦? I also know Newmercman (scary) and Wire (scary). Then there is Davelol66, and the ubiquitous Taebreaak who was drunk when he registered so spelled teabreak wrong (thatā€™s his excuse)

Several from other sites, too. Gremmie (who has probably been banned from here)

There are several ā€œsleepersā€ on here and other sites that I have met. They sit and read but never contribute.

I met Rich Browne once at a service plaza on the NY thruway.
Have talked to Pat Hasler on the cell phone but never met him.
I occasionaly see an Englishman that drives for us part time but heā€™s not on any forums.
Of all the Canadian trucks i see in the North East iā€™ve never met a Brit on the cb radio.

Charles

bobthedog:
Yes, Mr Hasler, and it was a pleasure to meet you all. My turn next time. Maybe you should get up to Manitobaā€¦? I also know Newmercman (scary) and Wire (scary). Then there is Davelol66, and the ubiquitous Taebreaak who was drunk when he registered so spelled teabreak wrong (thatā€™s his excuse)

)Several from other sites, too. Gremmie (who has probably been banned from here )

There are several ā€œsleepersā€ on here and other sites that I have met. They sit and read but never contribute.

Bloody cheek BTDā€¦probably been banned from hereā€¦ I only just joined give me a week or two to get banned :laughing:

All the Manitoba gang, except Steve Owen (so far, but heā€™s promised me a beer so it wonā€™t be long I promise :wink: )

Paul John, met up when I was last down in his neck of the woods (Florida)

Pat Hasler & Longwayround, phone calls only, so far.

I bumped into Wire & we got on the ale until 5am in Las Vegas this week, as nights out go it was the best ever, getting pickled in Ceasars Palace sure takes some beating :sunglasses:

Amen to that.

I met Mark as he mentioned, last time he was here in Florida. Only a brief meeting but had a laugh. Hopefuly have a chance for a few beers next time.

There are a couple of guys working out of Oklahoma with Freymillers, Robin ex Blackpool, and Billy ex Southampton.
Robin has a house here in Florida, so when ever he is in town, its party time.

Paul John:
I met Mark as he mentioned, last time he was here in Florida. Only a brief meeting but had a laugh. Hopefuly have a chance for a few beers next time.

There are a couple of guys working out of Oklahoma with Freymillers, Robin ex Blackpool, and Billy ex Southampton.
Robin has a house here in Florida, so when ever he is in town, its party time.

Where abouts in Florida are you?

Bully

Bully, I live on the south east side of Orlando, about 1 hour frm you.
I used to cover Volusia county on a peddle route out of Orlando.
Cheers Paul

me only met BTD. cant remember now. long time ago. dont think i met anyone else. :frowning: :frowning:

I have since met Andrew Dawson who drives for Hershey and lives in Harrisburgh PA and a few Irish lads including Nicky who drives for Carry tank lines and calls in the sugar refinery regularly ā€¦ I had never met him in person but used to chat with him on the CB back in the 80ā€™s when he drove for Ipec running in and out of Northampton.

Hey guys im in vermont with my us fiancee over xmas and was wondering if its possible to get my CDL while im out here in vermont and also do i need to get my car licence 1st , i have full class 1 from uk , any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regard and merry christmas Ian.
May of posted in wrong thread sorry.

Consulate in Boston would be your best bet for your UK licence, any DMV will be able to do your CDL. One Broadway
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142

Telephone
617 245 4500

Brentanna:
Consulate in Boston would be your best bet for your UK licence, any DMV will be able to do your CDL. One Broadway
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142

Telephone
617 245 4500

Thx do you know if i have to take my car licence b4 i can take my cdl? and if i get me cdl if i still have to go back to the uk to get work visa or if i get a job out here the employer can do the paper work , i really dont want to go back to uk unless i have to.
Kind regards Ian.

Work visa would be handled on this side of the pond the consul will be able to give you the details on that too. As far as I am aware but dont quoit me on this if you can get your CDL you should be covered for driving a car as well not sure on the Vermont Regs on that one some would accept some wont, DMV will be able to tell you that.

You canā€™t get a ā€˜work visaā€™ to drive a truck :exclamation:

There is no way on earth anyone is just gonna come over here and get agreen card then a CDL licence, it took me 18 months here married to a US citizen before my green card was actually issued, then if you can get some kind company to loan you a truck to take the CDL A test you have to prove 2 years experience to get a job.

Donā€™t believe you can come here, take the test and get a green card because you canā€™t :cry:

If you even sugest to the INS staff at the airport that you have any kind of work in mind when you fly in you will be flying out again on the next flight with a 10 year ban on entering the USA again.

hi , pat is correct in stating that you cant get a green card visa for driving a truck ,i tried that route a few years ago ,i did manage to get a car driving licence,because at that time all you had to do was produce your i94visa thats attached to your passport, and a utillity bill with your address on it , but since 911 things have changed a lot, you now have to produce a valid work permit , social securty card etc, just by marrying doesnt garuntee that you will get a green card, i spent $1000,s paying lawyers trying to be allowed to stay, i was also a skilled diesel fitter as well as a hgv driver ,made no difference .but i wish you all the luck ,as you well know vermont is gods country
cheers diesel

diesel dan:
hi , pat is correct in stating that you cant get a green card visa for driving a truck ,i tried that route a few years ago ,i did manage to get a car driving licence,because at that time all you had to do was produce your i94visa thats attached to your passport, and a utillity bill with your address on it , but since 911 things have changed a lot, you now have to produce a valid work permit , social securty card etc, just by marrying doesnt garuntee that you will get a green card, i spent $1000,s paying lawyers trying to be allowed to stay, i was also a skilled diesel fitter as well as a hgv driver ,made no difference .but i wish you all the luck ,as you well know vermont is gods country
cheers diesel

Yeah ā€¦ Godā€™s country with the worlds stupidest drivers :laughing: