Which make of vehicle to buy

Evening all, currently applying for our o license and actively looking for a good second hand tractor unit around the £40K mark. We are new to this so apologies if we seem green. Volvo and DAF have been predominantly recommended. Are there issues with Mercedes? It’s a minefield out there and I know any vehicle will go wrong eventually, it’s how much to repair, parts available. etc etc

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

PhilS69:
Evening all, currently applying for our o license and actively looking for a good second hand tractor unit around the £40K mark. We are new to this so apologies if we seem green. Volvo and DAF have been predominantly recommended. Are there issues with Mercedes? It’s a minefield out there and I know any vehicle will go wrong eventually, it’s how much to repair, parts available. etc etc

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

You will not find a good tractor unit for £40k at the moment , most euro 6 units are £50k plus depending on kms
Give junction 6 commercials in Brum a call as they have a few DAFs for sale and boss brought a 68plt XF there for £70k 2 weeks later it needed a sensor replacing which they paid for and the diagnostics as well no questions asked

Thanks for that… I have seen a Actros advertised for £40K, not huge mileage Euro 6 2015. Is there anything to look out for with Merc’s.
I’m guessing the parts are expensive?

I bought a 2016 XF in 2020 it was exactly 4 yrs old cost £26,000 had done 290,000km ,I would pay the extra for Volvo or Scania but my self I wouldn’t look at the others makes .

In covid 2020 you couldn’t of give it away for £18,000 but now may be I’am in profit at the min :laughing:

Just to add I paid extra for 12 month full warranty

PhilS69:
Thanks for that… I have seen a Actros advertised for £40K, not huge mileage Euro 6 2015. Is there anything to look out for with Merc’s.

Back up from experience, and the parts are steep & VOR normally, so don`t expect it back quickly, our local dealer is the nearest to our yard by a country mile, but once bitten, twice shy :unamused:

No doubt others may say they dont have issues, but I`m speaking from experience :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

PhilS69:

Back up from experience, and the parts are steep & VOR normally, so don`t expect it back quickly, our local dealer is the nearest to our yard by a country mile, but once bitten, twice shy :unamused:

No doubt others may say they dont have issues, but I`m speaking from experience :wink:

I was only an employed driver, not OD, but every time my Actros went in for repairs at Mercedes, it was always there several days waiting for parts. We weren’t a small firm either, had nearly 700 Mercs at the time.

trucken:

Stanley Mitchell:

PhilS69:

I was only an employed driver, not OD, but every time my Actros went in for repairs at Mercedes, it was always there several days waiting for parts. We weren’t a small firm either, had nearly 700 Mercs at the time.

Reminds me of the time where I used to work , we had 2 trucks in Marshall’s at Fareham a 26t rigid in there trying to trace why the exhaust ECU was melting , and a tractor unit threat just needed a knock sensor .
The muppets put the sensor on the rigid :unamused: so had to wait another day
The rigid’s turned out to be a cracked manifold and duff gasket

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated… sort of setting my sights on a Volvo FH me thinks, or possibly a DAF.

Happy New Year to you all.

Just another Merc foible…

We have 3 of them under 3 months old, and mine went in for it’s inspection the week before xmas, (I wont say where.) from which I was told to wait for it. No problem. I mentioned about the bluetooth being possibly faulty, and they did an update, which took an extra 2 hours!!!

So in essence, 2 hours booked for it’s first 6 weekly, and another 2 hours for a download. Unreal.

Ken.

where are you planning on getting it maintained? if main dealer that makes a huge difference. Ask some other hauliers in the area how they rate the dealer