Which inverter?

Want to get a 1500 or 2000 watt inverter to run a microwave. Does it matter whether it’s modified or pure sine wave power.

Basic answer… No. If you were to watch your old portable colour tv in the cab, then a modified sine wave output would have given you an annoying line down the screen on some sets.

Go for your inverter that is at least 25 - 50 % above the wattage of your microwave. i.e. 750w = 1000w.

It’s always the same issue on safety margins like we always see… SWL, SWP.

Think of tail-lifts & ‘cow bell’ connectors then a good quality inv will serve you well.
Have a word with your fitter.

pm me if u want 1000watter… tin hat … moderater about to swoop :exclamation:

This one is getting rave reviews on a boating forum I frequent :slight_smile:

■■■■, forgot link!
Amazon Inverter

How dangerous are these. Our place has banned their use after several fire damage incidents.

Are they inherently dangerous or could it be down to a dodgy Chinese inverter for example ?

I run a microwave oven, kettle and toaster (not all at the same time) using a 2kw modified sine wave inverter and it works fine, although sometimes it trips as the appliance in question turns off. I just have to turn it off at the switch and then back on again.

I have a 3kw 24v modified sine wave inverter in the loft at home somewhere, never even been out of the box, if I can find it at the weekend I’ll put it up for sale in the “for sale” forum.

Harry Monk:
I run a microwave oven, kettle and toaster (not all at the same time) using a 2kw modified sine wave inverter and it works fine, although sometimes it trips as the appliance in question turns off. I just have to turn it off at the switch and then back on again.

I have a 3kw 24v modified sine wave inverter in the loft at home somewhere, never even been out of the box, if I can find it at the weekend I’ll put it up for sale in the “for sale” forum.

Careful there Harry. He want’s to warm up a pot noodle, not BBQ a few pols or other E’block
numbers @ 50 yards the other side of an MSA :slight_smile:

Basically if you have a modified sine wave inverter you can run a digital microwave (ie those with a digital display and touch buttons) If you just want to run a basic ( dial type timer control) microwave then a regular inverter will be ok. Modified sine wave tend to be more expensive because they produce much ‘cleaner’ electricity which is required for more complex digital appliances.

microwaveexpert:
Basically if you have a modified sine wave inverter you can run a digital microwave (ie those with a digital display and touch buttons) If you just want to run a basic ( dial type timer control) microwave then a regular inverter will be ok. Modified sine wave tend to be more expensive because they produce much ‘cleaner’ electricity which is required for more complex digital appliances.

A pure sine wave inverter is the expensive one. Modified is a cheap alternative which will operated some devices such as kettle and toaster, but are not recommended for many devices which are usually sensitive and expensive devices, such as computers; I’m not sure about microwaves as I’m not an expert on those, but I suspect they would require a pure sine wave inverter.

i run a 3000w moddied inverter wired it in my self with some advice from here on what to buy ie cable and fuse been working 2 weeks now runs my toaster kettle and 700w microwave no problems