Which gearbox quicker to learn?

Whats the general opinion on the easiest gearbox to get the hang of, slap-over or four over four. Ive tried four over four before but now given the option to learn in a slap-over.

I know if i pass ill have to get used to both, but just wondered on average what do trainees pick up the quickest? :question:

There’s less chance of going up or down the range by accident with a four over four, but with the slap across you don’t have to worry about a button to put it into high or low range so there’s less to balls up.

It’s 50/50, personally I’d take the four over four, but try them both and see what you like best.

And good luck…

To throw a spanner in the works I feel a 6 speed with splitter is the easiest to learn in. More gears but you can get away with it since the vehicles aren’t loaded (yet).

6spd is a bit like a slap over, easy to go from 2nd to 5th, for example, if the box is a bit sloppy.

A slapover is good if it’s set up correctly otherwise it springs back and forth between the ranges.

I have driven both and prefer a well set up slapover. 4/4 or 3/3 is good though.

I trained with both types, personally I prefured the slap over but chose witch ever lorry has the newest best kept gear box ! Slap over or switch 4 over 4 I found makes little diffrents in training. What makes a massive diffrents in training is a good condition gear box conpeared to shagged gear box.

I agree with above. I did my C training in a 4 over 4, but when the engine and gearbox were cold it was a pig to get it into 5th, sart off in 3rd or 4th (depending on road incline or decline) and by the time you’d got a little speed up and faffed about going into high range and trying to get 5th you would lose loads of momentum. A good gearbox will give a smoother drive.

DJC:
To throw a spanner in the works I feel a 6 speed with splitter is the easiest to learn in. More gears but you can get away with it since the vehicles aren’t loaded (yet).

+1
Move off in 3rd (straight forward). Most of time just use 3rd, 4th, 5th ,6th and 6th high split if you get onto a motorway. Hill starts in 2nd. Almost as easy as a 4 speed car! By the end you will be splitting 5th in town too probably.

I tried both and found the slapover much easier, as you haven’t got the added complication of flicking a range range switch. I also found it easier to remember which gear I was in due to position of gear lever, left or right of gate. Hope this helpst :smiley:

Used both, but prefer slapover best. Also if you are right handed and your left arm isn,t as strong as your right, it soon will be after using a slapover for a few days !!! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Really makes no difference. Either way you basically have a 4 speed gearbox with gears called 5-6-7-8. When you stop you have 1 extra gear called 3.

The secret to passing is try not to stop.

We record every serious fault along with examiner and test time details. Last fail on gears was Oct 2010. The gearbox makes no difference.

Worry more about not pulling out at roundabouts into gaps too small. 7/10 of all fails are about this by our stats. I doubt other trainers have a bigger reason for failure.

Without doubt the 6 speed splitter is the easiest for training. Google my username and have a look at the demo video on my website.

Paul