Wheres the tightest place you have ever been to?

Wheres the tightest town/ drop you have had to go to? Was it a one off or do you have to go there regularly, should you really be given a smaller lorry for the drop or did you take a wrong turn and end up somewhere where you thought you would never have taken a vehicle if you had known the road beforehand?

well seeing as you ask…when i was 16 bla bla bla :laughing:

Travis Perkins at Chepstow is tight.

The wife’s ■■■■■ :smiley:

aidey:
The wife’s ■■■■■ :smiley:

i was going to go with the wifes legs, nowts getting between thhem :unamused: :wink:

No the feeling fingers

Anywhere north of Berwick on Tweed. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Any farm in Cardiganshire; not only are they mostly buggers to get into, you never get a cuppa out of the miserable gits!

PMSL @ Aidey & Fingers :laughing:

Tesco metro in Norwich, need vaseline on the trailer

papermonkey:
Tesco metro in Norwich, need vaseline on the trailer

Is that the one with the silly scissor lift opposite a church, down the pedestrian bit? If so I’ll agree, EVIL place :open_mouth:

gnasty gnome:
Any farm in Cardiganshire; not only are they mostly buggers to get into, you never get a cuppa out of the miserable gits!

I can confirm this is true i’ve been to a few of them.

Went to one near St.Davids the other week (named after a famous rock and roll singer that alledgely died on the bog! dont know if you know it g.g.)

When i arrived i thought this is a bit tight.

Place looked deserted but i knocked on the farmhouse door and the farmer opened it strait away and said…

“Heard you come in, thats a bit big we usually have an 8 wheeler not an artic. Feed goes in that bin there you’ll have to turn round.”

He then shut the door and went back to his brew.

After about 20 shunts involving driving within about a foot of his back door and kitchen window I finally got into position. Off loaded and drove away.
Never saw the miserable git once during all the time i was there.

delivered a melting/holding furnace from olpe in germany to a firm near cross green in leeds years ago, who made cylinder heads for landrover - the ginnel we had to get this thing down was tight at the start AND tapered in too :open_mouth:

we ended up loading the thing tilted at an angle on the trailer (60 tonne mind you), and after 90 minutes shunting a steered 2-bed-4 lowloader got through with literally 10mm one side and 5mm the other :unamused:

toowise:
Went to one near St.Davids the other week (named after a famous rock and roll singer that alledgely died on the bog! dont know if you know it g.g.)

Place looked deserted but i knocked on the farmhouse door and the farmer opened it strait away and said…

“Heard you come in, thats a bit big we usually have an 8 wheeler not an artic. Feed goes in that bin there you’ll have to turn round.”

St. Elvis! Yep, been there; you must have had organic on. It’s not all that easy in an 8-wheeler either. Not one of my personal favourites and it’s a dirty hole as well IIRC.

Was that out of Blandford?

JJ72
will probably remember a job we done from Cramlington to the Isle of Grain.

5 metre wide tapered trunking sections, bound for Mexico I believe

the only problem was that where they were made the door was just under 5 metre wide, the widest point of the peices was a flange at the base of the sections about 5 mill thick and that stuck out about 20 mill.

to get the peices out of the factory they cut a 25 mill deep by 10 mill high slot into the brick work surrounding the doors each side.

there wasnt much room to manouver inside the factory so you had to spend agaes getting exactly lined up inside, then getting the peice on the trailer at exactly the right position so the overhangs were exactly lined up with the tiny slots in the wall, then bugger about with the packing underneath to get it to spot on the right height.

and this wasnt just once , but we did quite a few of these , and each one was a complete pain to get out of the factory

before courts went bust, we used to deliver to their shop in weymouth, which was impossible to get an artic in, there was no way you could make the turn, we were doing it in rigids until they sent an artic down there, the guy refused to go anywhere near it knowing what it was like, he got a warning from the boss :open_mouth: :unamused: , all trying to save a lot of aggro and a truck getting stuck!!!

i agree farms can be a nightmare to get in and out, but the worst i ever did was a private huse down a track, got down there ok to deliver a manhole cover, but i couldnt get back out as there was a couple of gateposts, when i came i i could swing over a bit to get in, i couldnt to get back out, and i ended up getting the truck impaled on the old gate which was buried in the hedge, no way you could see it! i had to walk back down and get a hacksaw to cut the gate out of my step, and had to scrape the curtain down the post to get out! what a palava!

Scotland!

London City - I had to turn into small lane. Only thanks to that I had to jump over the kerb with a left-rear wheel my van tillted and I had a chance to get in under some cornice at the building on the left, when I had to close my right mirror.

Also I had some tricky deliveries over the Hebrides. My favourit one was to deliver some windows to small home at the remote penisula on Eriskay:

I made a movie of heading back from that place. The point was that I was told, that I will be able to turn at the end of that road, but it was impossible due to car parked at the end of that road. Fortunably for me the car owner seen me through her bathroom window and she moved that car - you can see her in her bathrobe at the movie. (Sorry there is something [zb]ed up with the sound in that movie)
youtube.com/watch?v=q-MALAk4BWg

That was nothing unusual to have some tricky deliveries there, another one I have pictures off is this one:

I had to deliver some radiators there. It seems not so bad until you will see second picture:

It turned to it wasn’t possible to turn arround at the guy’s yard, as lorry was too heavy to drive on the grass, so I had to reverse all way down that road (it was about 200-300 m to the main road. It took me about 10 minutes, as my both mirrors were in the shrubbery and I wasn’t able to see nothing or to open the doors and go and see, so my girl with this guy and his wife made a chain to pass the message from the back to me “A bit left! Stop! Now right! Stop! Go forward 15 cm!” and so on until we reached main road. Even on this main road I was able only to turn in one direction, so after reversing I had to drive to the end of that road (which was off course single carriage road) where I was able to turn arround using the slip road (and I had to get my rear bumber wet) :wink:

I was really, really enjoying that job - it’s much more fun then just driving on the motorway or sitting in traffic at M6… If not heavy lifting and wages, I can work for Hebs Haul all my live…

Rikki-UK:
JJ72
will probably remember a job we done from Cramlington

yep - they don’t get any better there either, we did 36 loads in 5 days earlier this year for libya and every ■■■■ case was the wrong size - not a great problem unless you’re talking about stuff 4.76m high to start with :open_mouth:

we also sent 2 lads hot foot from rumo to ankara earlier in the year to load for them, dead urgent etc - got the stuff direct to their customer in uk only for them to reject it cos it wasn’t even to spec :unamused:

fort william to lochaline with an extender opened to 60ft, not long on normal roads but the A861 was a right headache, mile after mile of single track road with passing places, nice scenery though, then a month later, same load to tobermory on the isle of mull, bugger reversing onto the ferry with all the holidymakers stood up on deck waiting for me to ■■■■ it up