Wheres the courtesy gone?

Been driving on and off the past thirty years, early years was artic to a mere 7.5 ton now. I be on narrow country roads most of the time, reversed back today about 500 yards into a farm entrance to allow a bigger lorry to get by. Not even a wave of the hand or a flash of lights and this is not the first time either.
Met another larger lorry later in the day and he pulled well across the white line to make sure I had to pull in.
There was always courtesy and appreciation years ago but a number of drivers today are so arrogant and think theres only them on the road.
It disheartens me greatly and so much to the extent I don’t enjoy the job anymore.
Anyone else feel the same?

There are bad apples in every barrel. It seems to be your turn to meet them all.

Courtesy costs nothing and makes The World a happier place. Personally I always give a thank you wave or a flash of lights, it’s next to zero effort so why not?

There is no shortage of drivers with bad manners but there also plenty that still make the effort.
Been driving a while and not going to pretend bad manners are new.

He might have waved when you wasn’t looking ?

I give them the benefit of doubt, just smile & carry on, at least you know that you’ve done your good deed for the day. :smiley:

During training I actively encourage a quick wave, thumbs up or nod of the head with a smile. It’s perfectly acceptable on test (not headlight flashing though) and there is little enough courtesy out there - so let’s make the most of it.

There is a common misconception that it’s wrong to acknowledge some assistance - nonsense. Provided the control of the vehicle is not affected, job’s a good’un.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

it’s cos you’re in a 7.5t.

If I was to do a survey of the attitudes of drivers of bigger vehicles towards me driving a 7.5t the results would probably be something like - 5% actively hate 7.5t drivers, 45% are arrogant and never thank 7.5t drivers as they seem to think we’re driving a lesser vehicle, 10% seem to resent saying thanks and then the final 40% are decent human beings and that carries over to them thanking other road users (and some of them may even like cyclists!). You’ll get used to it.

trampyjoe:
it’s cos you’re in a 7.5t.

If I was to do a survey of the attitudes of drivers of bigger vehicles towards me driving a 7.5t the results would probably be something like - 5% actively hate 7.5t drivers, 45% are arrogant and never thank 7.5t drivers as they seem to think we’re driving a lesser vehicle, 10% seem to resent saying thanks and then the final 40% are decent human beings and that carries over to them thanking other road users (and some of them may even like cyclists!). You’ll get used to it.

What a sad state of affairs if this is what its comes to, thankfully ive never thought along those lines. If younger drivers are reading this then do as peter says in a previous thread :smiley:

I always acknowledge any road user be it car,wagon, cyclist or horse rider if they have moved over for me or anything really, I am just a mad smiler who waves alot :laughing:
As said manners cost nothing and a smile and thank you can make some ones day :smiley: