Where's me drivers gone?

Winseer:
The Ideal Next Boss - is going to be the one offering the best package rather than some agency high hourly rate written using rat’s ■■■■ as ink on the back of an envelope.

This package will be:-

Working directly for the firm, NO more “contracting”.
Full time contract defined as 35-40 hours to earn one’s basic pay.
Basic shift lengths defined as 4x shifts, rather than 5 or 6 day weeks any more.
4x9 for a 36 hour basic week,
4x10 for 40
4x12 for a max 48 hour week.

So at very least - “Overtime” should be paid at LEAST at time and a half starting no further than hour 48 everywhere.

Agencies that spam our phones with texts quoting the Self-Employed Bank Holiday Night Rate, rather than the rate for the shifts they actually have available every single day - needs to be looked at by the watchdog, if there actually IS one for this industry…

If a firm really does have all starts available - then I don’t seriously think you’d get drivers turning away, because they wanted a monday-friday 9-5 job, and were offered something a couple of hours either side of that, which they turned down. Yeh right they would!

There’s a big difference between that and being told “All we’ve got left - are start times between 22:00 and 03:00 now”. If that’s true, then phase them out, because no one wants or needs them - right?

Firms could also save a fortune by avoiding having trucks slogging through large cities “during peak periods” as well. More drops on Nights Proper, not drivers turning up for work at night, and then dead beat by the time they have to return through rush-hour traffic, because their bioclock is totally f—ed up!

A good time to start a shift would be just after a rush hour is over, and a good time to finish just before the next day’s rush hour.

Why not 10am-7pm? Miss the morning rush, come home after the evening rush hour…
Why not 7pm-6am - Go to work after evening rush hour, home in time for breakfast, missing the traffic?

At present, though, it is arse-about-face - isn’t it?

If the industry continues to treat us like “[zb] on their shoes” - then we need to do a Bobby Sands - and make sure we get smeared on as many overpaid Agensta Jimmy Choo’s as possible - right? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Well said!

A ‘shift’ is 8 hours long not 9, 10 or more. After 8 hrs overtime rate.

A friend of my daughter is a driver for LNER or East Coast Main Line.She used to be a trolley dolly then upgraded onto an extremely good pay rate and rarely exceeds 9 hour shift.No shoveling coal these days.Sit in an armchair and watch the world go by.In the fog,by the way,signals are indicated by a bell or klaxon for green and red although the light does penetrate fog well.Don’t forget your stops.would I want the job over truck driving?Bloody right.

cav551:
A ‘shift’ is 8 hours long not 9, 10 or more. After 8 hrs overtime rate.

Overtime rate = time and a half (all day Saturday). Double bubble for a Sunday.

Themoocher:
a ground worker is on 200 to 250 a day at minute driving dump trucks and small diggers on sites.
The problem with haulage and now cranes is the hire rates are so low and have been for years the profit margins are so thin.
The haulage rates has been run into the ground in this country.
you just have to look at the prices of building materials has tripled and quadrupled over the past 18 months bricks timber ect.
People still pay the money for the materials. as the price is what it is and off.
Haulage they want to squeeze every last penny at the cost of the Labour driving the truck.

This is an area that seems to have kept up with real world living costs unlike driving. I don’t know what the difference is apart from employer attitude.
I’m sure most sites were/are as full of EE as your average RDC so that’s not it. Maybe it’s just because they pay properly that you don’t hear McAlpine moaning about labour shortages?

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Nothing will change - until and unless actual Loss is inflicted upon those who make the “race-to-the-bottom” decisions, making it first “policy”, and then consolidating that with “culturizing” it.

When a few hauliers have gone under, and it is attributed to Brexit/driver shortage/cheap labour shortage/unable to undercut and anything else that happens to be the true reason we are where we are - THEN we might see some bright sparks doing that old wisdom thing of “learning from the mistakes of others - before you’re forced to learn from your own”. :bulb:

Munchkin:

Themoocher:
a ground worker is on 200 to 250 a day at minute driving dump trucks and small diggers on sites.
The problem with haulage and now cranes is the hire rates are so low and have been for years the profit margins are so thin.
The haulage rates has been run into the ground in this country.
you just have to look at the prices of building materials has tripled and quadrupled over the past 18 months bricks timber ect.
People still pay the money for the materials. as the price is what it is and off.
Haulage they want to squeeze every last penny at the cost of the Labour driving the truck.

This is an area that seems to have kept up with real world living costs unlike driving. I don’t know what the difference is apart from employer attitude.
I’m sure most sites were/are as full of EE as your average RDC so that’s not it. Maybe it’s just because they pay properly that you don’t hear McAlpine moaning about labour shortages?

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

All I here is you can learn to drive a truck in a week so you deserve to get paid 10 pound a hour.
You can learn a digger in a week and get 18-20 pound a hour plus overtime rates.
Don’t see the difference skill wise myself like.
The costs of the wages gets put on the hire costs to the site.

so you can’t see the difference between sitting in a m/c on a mound of earth in a contained site to pumping a 44 tonner up/down a m/way full of traffic of all descriptions and abilitys… :open_mouth: :unamused: ok

m.a.n rules:
so you can’t see the difference between sitting in a m/c on a mound of earth in a contained site to pumping a 44 tonner up/down a m/way full of traffic of all descriptions and abilitys… :open_mouth: :unamused: ok

what you saying a digger driver needs a higher level of training and skill than driving

I would have thought that there was more skill “not coming to grief” than there was “obeying every rule, every minute, of every day”…

Grandpa:
If you think driving a 40 tonne vehicle around the streets isn’t a skill, then you’ll love the low and stagnant rates that reflect the attitude of the logistics industry.

Of course I’m not going to get £25ph, which is why I and tens of thousands like me don’t drive anymore and as has been mentioned, the low rates aren’t just confined to the haulage industry.

The new scam I hear is an idea to relax driving hours so you can do more hours for the same c**p rates.

When I hear of a haulage boss who’s had to downsize his car to a Ford Fiesta because times are hard, then I’ll believe the whining about low profit margins and overheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSake-OUXU

My bosses. Pre pandemic there was a modded focus RS and a TT RS. Now theres an old range rover and a Skoda. There’s 25of us in all, no one got made redundant and we have had a pay rise.

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

Themoocher:

m.a.n rules:

what you saying a digger driver needs a higher level of training and skill than driving

discect your own post read mine, compare, then come back…ffs theres no hope :unamused:

Winseer:
I would have thought that there was more skill “not coming to grief” than there was “obeying every rule, every minute, of every day”…

read my signature mate… :wink:

Yeh, I guess I take that approach to things like “wearing of masks”. It’s for ‘compliance only’ to me personally, not because I think for a minute that they do anything positive… There won’t really ever be an opening up - will there?

The country will be divided into those who think they MUST wear a mask, vs those who’ll wear one - just to keep the critics away, and nothing more.

A massive recession will hit us this Autumn, I reckon… Comparable to the one that stood down this country’s entire industrial base in the early 1980’s following the 1979 Winter of Discontent, and the advent of Thatcher.
Entire industries - to disappear, never to return. Half the country culled into a premature death, or left on benefits to perish from an NHS that now neglects them to death… :frowning:

On a more positive note - "Those few… Those happy few that survive this national disaster… Will Britain again be a home fit for Heroes - or just a dumping ground for the world’s refugees, foreign gangsters, Chinese financial surpluses, and fugitive politicians…?

If “Brexit” supposedly divided us all - Who’s gonna be a future patron of a walk-in place that requires things like mask-wearing and Covid Passports? Easier to boycott the place, and go further down the road where they have a more liberal attitude to the whole thing - eh?

The Reckoning comes - the moment the government decides how it will pay for what has already been spent, or at least “stops spending what they no longer have…”

You must be such fun to meet in person. :bulb: The pub must clear when they see you coming.

cav551:
You must be such fun to meet in person. :bulb: The pub must clear when they see you coming.

He can clear a pub faster than an angry Stevie Wonder walking in with a machine gun. :laughing:

Woodland Group looking nationwide for drivers, 45 - 60,000
Not sure how they get to the 60k figure, be some serious hours for that
woodlandgroup.com/join-our- … arlington/

Winseer:
A massive recession will hit us this Autumn, I reckon… Comparable to the one that stood down this country’s entire industrial base in the early 1980’s following the 1979 Winter of Discontent, and the advent of Thatcher.
Entire industries - to disappear, never to return. Half the country culled into a premature death, or left on benefits to perish from an NHS that now neglects them to death… :frowning:

To be fair, industries didn’t disappear. They were simply offshored abroad, helped by Thatcher’s releasing of capital controls in 1979 which allowed the nation’s wealth to be carried away by bosses, and their ruinous monetarist policies which were designed to undermine industry and create unemployment.

Rjan:

Winseer:

To be fair, industries didn’t disappear. They were simply offshored abroad, helped by Thatcher’s releasing of capital controls in 1979 which allowed the nation’s wealth to be carried away by bosses, and their ruinous monetarist policies which were designed to undermine industry and create unemployment.

Don’t encourage him, it was an outrageous tangent to begin with. The masks link was tenuous, but this changed to “opening up” within the space of two sentences. It is just a chat room to discuss whatever is on his mind at the particular moment. Thread topics mean nothing to him.

The BBC did a so called Reality Check on the shortage of drivers. How serious is the shortage of lorry drivers? - BBC News
It was obvious they have gone running to the RHA for so called facts. No mention of DVLA proving there is more HGV licence holders than vacancies. No mention of the crap pay, long hours and poor onsite facilities that a lot of drivers have turned their back on.
I have written a formal complaint to the BBC on this half arsed effort and also included a link to this excellent report. 'Haulier supermarket' puts drivers on right side of supply and demand equation - The Loadstar