Where you used to park up on nights out

I only joined Trucknet fairly recently,so maybe this topic has been covered in the past. If it has I apologise in advance, If it hasn’t then here goes. I used to do semi regular run back in the 70’s and used to try to park up where there was decent facilities and something to do other than sit in the cab watching television or reading. Some of the places I parked up are:
Manchester - under the Mancunian Way just off Oxford Road, mostly West Country boys like Spiers of Melksham & Wilmotts used this park (cars by day, wagons at night - just don’t oversleep or you were surrounded by cars in the morning) The entertainment was Tommy Ducks pub just up the road, what a place & full of female students! It was on its own as all the surrounding premises had been pulled down, don’t know if it’s still going.
Leeds - either the British Legion park or the site of the old Baths at the bottom of Headrow in the City Centre. then after a night out finish off with a visit to George’s fish shop which was situated on the first or second floor at the back of Quarry Hill flats (you may remember them as they were used in the title sequence of the series Queenies Castle starring Diana Dors on the telly at the time). You had to visit this place in a group of at least 3 for safety reasons, but what terrific food he did there! All cooked fresh with a pot of tea for you whilst it was being cooked - At no extra charge!
Worcester - down by the river and racecourse. Great night out for talent with loads of young student nurses from the Hospital. One of my favourite pubs was the Horn & Trumpet in the City Centre.
Ther are lots more, but where were your favourite places to park up? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Banbury was a good nightout on a thursday, plenty off eye candy up the town :laughing:

botley rd oxford trot into the town loads a totty,lancaster bhind the halfords in the town center and also uxbridge right next door to the police station in the halfords 200yrds your in the town center loads of posh totty :sunglasses:

Canon’s Marsh in Bristol,just around the corner from a nightclub.

Pontefract,totty city.

Northampton,cattle market.

Eccles,some good pubs there.

Southampton,can’t remember the name of the lorry park.

Like KW, I remember parking in Southampton down by the docks and swimming baths. always a good night out, especially in pubs like The Juniper Berry where (this bit is not politically correct) the landlord was a transvestite and I believe, as queer as a nine-bob note, but a great character none the less. Loads of talent everywhere you looked too, and Derby road not too far away if you had to pay for it. :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone else on here wholl admit to going to The Colonels in Bloxwich

last i heard it had been knocked down to build an old people`s home
so you should still find the same birds there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nianiamh:

used to get there pretty regular when on the car transporters, wed/thursday nights i seem to recall, never took an ugly bird back to cab, but by god woke up with some horrors :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

nianiamh:

last i heard it had been knocked down to build an old people`s home
so you should still find the same birds there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you’re right there mate,they’ve built a huge old folks home,did’nt use it
very much ( the kernal ) but when i did it was a decent pitch

past me test 87,used to park up on the airport cafe (a38),then used me thumb to get the rest of the way home. :unamused: :unamused:
northampton,old towester road (side of the chippy)
newport pagnall ,town centre
crick europort,halfway house
willesdon europort,railway club,nice n cheap :wink: :unamused:
trafford park,is it the village pub ?

I remember years back wagons used to park behind the Tommyfield pub or on the Civic car park on Thursday nights, As I grew older I found out that Thursday was ■■■■■ night at the Candlelight and think it was called Regent pub.

I remember a pub in Greenhithe where the “bird” would show you her paps for a quid. :stuck_out_tongue: loads of Glendinning lads used it. The Orange Tree on Pleck Road. Truckers at Godmanchester where more paps were on offer for a price.

Manchester Truckstop tankwash bar was also a pulling place for old trouts as was the 5th wheel cafe in Bartank.

Even the Pilot at Greenwich was a bit more down to earth in those days.

I used to park outside a house in Pompey where you could sleep with the landlady. Very expensive.Used to cost me nearly all my wages. :laughing: :cry:

curnock:
past me test 87,used to park up on the airport cafe (a38),then used me thumb to get the rest of the way home. :unamused: :unamused:

Did you ever have owt to eat in the Airport cafe,Curnock?It was a s***ole in the 60s and 70s.The Y-Pass further down was better.
Best digs were in Sheffield - our house via the old log book! :laughing:

Chris Webb:

curnock:

Did you ever have owt to eat in the Airport cafe,Curnock?It was a s***ole in the 60s and 70s.The Y-Pass further down was better.

no !!!,parkup,pay and away :wink: :wink:.the y-pass ,is that the little chef
going southbound ?

When in Paris during the 80`s I always used to park up by the canal at Aubervilliers, north east Paris, just off the peripherique. A few bars and shops up the road, a “cave” for any wines and beers (remember duty free!!) and not many other trucks around to be bothered by.

Sorry to say Kickstart but Tommy Ducks was pulled down about 13 years ago. When you were last there and all the surrounding buildings had been pulled down the pub went shortly after. I remember it was a bit of a funny do that was, it closed its doors on Saturday night and the bulldozers moved in within the hour and flattened the place with all the fixtures and fittings still inside. I think it was a listed building and they didn’t have permission to pull it down.

curnock:

Chris Webb:

curnock:

no !!!,parkup,pay and away :wink: :wink:.the y-pass ,is that the little chef
going southbound ?

Yes I think it’s a Little Chef now Curnock.I sometimes did 2 x Brum area loads of steel a day from Sheffield and it was Atkins or the Y-pass going down and the Tree or Oakamoor coming back - but never the Airport mate. :open_mouth:

where was the tree ?,my dad told me there was one where the british legion place is just before alerewas,is that it ?

curnock:
where was the tree ?,my dad told me there was one where the british legion place is just before alerewas,is that it ?

Yes in Alrewas,left hand side heading towards Derby.Herds of Sheffield drivers in there.
I think I’m right in saying that the only cafe open all night in the Derby area was The Octopus which was on the old A61 from Little Eaton into Derby town centre on the left just before you turned right at the lights to go over the Derwent and out towards Burton.Another cafe full of “dee-dahs” (Sheffielders) and Rotherhamites and always oodles of BRS trunkers.
Should be on the Old Cafe thread this. :unamused:

Having read AG’s post I’m sorry to hear that Tommy Ducks was demolished. :frowning: It was at least 28 years ago that I last had a night out in Manchester but I have long harboured thoughts of going back there when the opportunity arose, to check it out again. It was certainly a new experience for a young(ish) guy from the sticks who, until I took up wagon driving, had led a sheltered life :wink: :wink: I didn’t believe some of the things they had pinned up in there. I thought all women wore those navy blue knickers that schoolgirls used to wear! :blush: It was an education just looking at all the items around the walls, and the totty in there was top class too. Lots of other good places nearby as well, and all within staggering distance back to the motor. :smiley: