where to stop

Hi all, doing my first night out tomorrow and looking for advice on somewhere decent to stop overnight. Will be looking for somewhere between Carlisle and kendal. Think I can claim payment back from work if I pay for parking (will check before paying anything) although I will be empty so open to the idea of industrial estates or laybys providing it is set away from the road, preferably with a nice pub within walking distance for a meal and a pint.

Just ask the other drivers at your work. I am sure you wont be the first out on this route? Always a good start.

Penrith truck stop is one of the few I’ll park in, really good showers and good scoff. Same goes for Tebay, the truck stop not the services.

Carlisle truck stop is alright, not my first choice though.

A.

Carlisle.
J44 Stobarts truck stop…up to you :neutral_face: but I wouldn’t.
Or J43 Rosehill ind est,… good carvery pub and Tesco nearby.

Penrith.
J40 Gilwilly est,… either T.stop or Dougs Diner, a short walk into town centre to Wetherspoons.

Tebay Truckstop
All t.stop facilities, decent food, and a bar, or short walk up to village, working mans club with Sky Sports.
Hope that helps.

Ask your boss if he has Snap account on parking, which means you do not pay, as its on account.
Some employers only pay the parking price at motorway services, for example, you pay £30 and you get a £10 meal voucher, but the boss only pays you back £28 just for the parking only.
As he already pays a meal allowance .
Teebay truckstop has excellent food, locally sourced, ask for a loyalty card.

Be aware that popular places are full up by 18.00 ish.
Penrith truck stop, good food and a small bar.Dusty or muddy parking area.
If come off at Carlisle north, look for the big garden centre, lay by nearby, but fills up.
If exit the motorway for Kendal, check bridge heights, as one of the three exits, has a low bridge.

UKtramp:
Just ask the other drivers at your work. I am sure you wont be the first out on this route? Always a good start.

Doing the drop on behalf of a different depot so no one to ask, certainly nobody with the combined knowledge available on here.

robroy:
Carlisle.

Penrith.
J40 Gilwilly est,… either T.stop or Dougs Diner, a short walk into town centre to Wetherspoons.

Tebay Truckstop
All t.stop facilities, decent food, and a bar, or short walk up to village, working mans club with Sky Sports.
Hope that helps.

Sounds like a couple of votes for penrith, if work pays I’ll go with the truckstop, if not do you know if there are any parking restrictions on the gilwilly estate? I was there a couple of weeks ago and don’t recall seeing any.

jimbobb:

UKtramp:

Doing the drop on behalf of a different depot so no one to ask, certainly nobody with the combined knowledge available on here.

Oh I see, no problem m8, my advice was to ask the drivers at your firm for first hand advice on where they park. at our place we have our own preferences and use them regularly. You already have some good answers now off here. Certainly Penrith is decent. Carlisle is a bit hit and miss other than Stobarts, the council are quite funny about parking in the estates.

robroy:
Carlisle.

Penrith.

Tebay Truckstop
Hope that helps.

J43 Rose hill Ind estate. Is that the one with all the yellow line parking restrictions? Which a few years ago were ignored by so many trucks, that I was lucky to get the last space… :grimacing:

Adonis.:
Penrith truck stop is one of the few I’ll park in, really good showers and good scoff. Same goes for Tebay, the truck stop not the services.

Carlisle truck stop is alright, not my first choice though.

A.

Good showers Jimbob, food is at best average and overpriced.

If you turn right out of the truck stop and walk round the bend, turn right down a small path and it takes you into the town with plenty of eateries/pubs and a morrisons(5-10 minute walk)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jimbobb:
if not do you know if there are any parking restrictions on the gilwilly estate?

Yes but mostly on the main roads. If you follow the road down, turn right by David Haytons garage, left at next corner and then theres a side road which doesn’t seem to have any restrictions. Above to DAF garage I think. Plenty of police patrols in the area too so stay quiet and the fuzz wont bother you. :slight_smile:

Had a few probs finding somewhere for a 45 break there once and I lived there for 30 odd years. Place has changed a lot in last 5 years.

jimbobb:

robroy:
Carlisle.

Penrith.

Tebay Truckstop
Hope that helps.

Sounds like a couple of votes for penrith, if work pays I’ll go with the truckstop, if not do you know if there are any parking restrictions on the gilwilly estate? I was there a couple of weeks ago and don’t recall seeing any.

Go past t.stop to the end of ind est at top of hill.
R/a right, r/a left, plenty corners down there and a path into town.

J38 Truck Stop is a cracker too. Clean facilities, excellent food.

J38 that truckstop gets my vote everytime . Amazing food clean showers and toilets

Always a good atmosphere and if you do European like we do and have left over euros you can use them there and pay for parking

Well I decided on j38 in the end. 9.5 hours driving done so won’t be going anywhere else now. Seems good and work will reimburse me so now to find the bar :wink:

jimbobb:
Well I decided on j38 in the end. 9.5 hours driving done so won’t be going anywhere else now. Seems good and work will reimburse me so now to find the bar :wink:

Nice one. Have a look in the shop there - I picked up a fresh French stick and some local cheese which made for excellent sandwiches today.

Also, top tip for J38 - fuel up in the morning and get a free cup of coffee

slowlane:
Also, top tip for J38 - fuel up in the morning and get a free cup of coffee

Unfortunately I can only use bp filling stations. Will definitely check the shop out though.