Where to Start?

Hi all. I need some advice please. I passed my C2 in 2012 and at the time I couldn’t get work due to no experience even though I was a Bus Driver in London for 2.5 years. Anyway, I’ve since been working in admin and I’m now considering trying again. However, I don’t want to go in blind so can anyone provide me with advice on where to start and the pros n cons.

I do appreciate at 1st until I obtain some experience I might have to take what I’m given, but long term I would want to work on a regular route Mon - Fri. Is this realistic and if so which is the best route and what should I avoid?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One route is agency but its lucky dip to what you get. The other is to go round hauliers and see if they have any places. If you can get a day off to go in a see the TM’s then thats even better.

Thanks for the advice ‘radar19’ - do you think they would consider me with no HGV experience?

Mate, there is plenty in past threads to confirm this, but the short version is this.

Yes as a Newbie you can get a start, the work will be hard and undesirable (i.e. No one really wants that job :wink:). So if you are keen, motivated, preferably clean, yes you will get a Class 2 job. Agency is jumping in the deep end as you will be thrown the keys, so if that scares you, go for a full time gig and hopefully get a bit of training and eased into the job.

Pay on these undesirable (probably multi-drop, possibly food service delivery) is actually quite reasonable, above what you will get say driving a tipper. So appreciate in the game of “Class 2 or C” work, effort generally equals reward. This will help you look for the catch when pay looks attractive… I was once offer good money to deliver for the Bathstore, I calculated what was involved and said NO before the agency finished saying the name… :wink:

I found pallet work a good compromise as long as the tail-lift is the full rear door, as while it’s not always easy, it’s definitely easier than a lot in my opinion. Having an extra skill can also help like a Moffet (forklift) licence, HI-AB (crane) or ADR. These can count towards your DCPC, which as you haven’t mentioned, might be news to you. It’s 5 x 7 hour training days to legally work for reward!

So to help, here are various links:

HI-AB
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=136558

Moffit
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=136300

ADR
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128053

Hopefully that should help! :smiley:

Sorry if this appears a sterile response, I’m just working on a generic response for next time this question is asked! :laughing:

Hi Evil8Beezle and thanks for the advice [emoji106] - I already have my CPC card and it expires in 2019, so I’m good with that. It’s because I was a bus driver upto 2012 so I’m good to go… Well the only thing I need to do is renew my Digi Tacho Card. Thanks again. Chris

That cool mate, I didn’t have a clue about a bus licence from that far back, as I’ve only been in the game a bit over a year…
Just thought I’d condense what I assume to be highlights into a generic post!
The forum is new to you, but us that contribute regularly do see a certain amount of repetition…

We can’t keep churning over the same info again and again, so a few of us have done almost article posts. As you will see, I’ve written 2 of the links and F-reds did the other. It’s a pity we don’t have a thread rating guide on this forum, as there have been plenty of other threads that make good reading…

Thanks mate. I really appreciate you response and yes I can understand there’s a lot of repetition. Thanks again. Chris

No Worries, here are a couple of recent Class 2 & 1 training diaries, these are not by me, as that would be vein! :wink:
It’s some bellend called Ash, who knows what a hard Class 2 VAN driving job is like, and as such will take quite and while to respond when i call him a bellend! :smiley: In fact, I’ll probably have to prompt him… :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126880
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129042

Anyone who also finds this info useful say so!
I may consider composing a useful Newbie general job info/experience set of post/links…

If so, rate this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129689#p2027819

Yes OK, I might be a bit vein… :wink:
Have you met the Beaver? :open_mouth: