Where to Find Class 1 Driving Work in South West

Hello everyone!

Currently I am training to become a driver Class 1 driver (About to finish everything in 2 weeks) and was thinking about where to find Class 1 driving work once qualified.

My wife works from home so we can move anywhere in the country. Currently we live in Eastbourne and we would like to move somewhere towards the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset).

My question would be where would be best to be my base?

I’m looking to earn £35 to 40k per year as Class 1 driver, and hope this to be on decent hours. So was thinking that would be better to be close to distribution centres like Avonmouth in Bristol, etc.

Any advice on decent companies around Avonmouth in Bristol or any other good places around South West?

Thank you in adivance for your help.

Avonmouth/Bristol was my first thought. Average working week in haulage is 55hrs, it’s not really a job with 8hr days and 40hr weeks but that doesn’t stop the driving schools trying to sell it as one. I do do typically 35-40hrs but only because I do agency and choose not to work a full week. Agency is likely to be your best bet for getting started.

Get in a supermarket. Not everyone’s cup of tea but money is generally good, terms are decent, work is clean. Avonmouth has Asda and Tesco both will take new passes on too I suspect.

Further south there’s morrisons Bridgewater but also many many general haulage type places which I’d swerve Gregory being the main ones to avoid IMO

We’ve been asked this recently, look back a page or so.

Check Indeed job ads. These will give you a flavour of the type of jobs and hopefully not all of them will be agencies harvesting names for their staff list.

The average price for a property in Cornwall is £334,526

The average wage Class 1 Tramping in Cornwall £11.50 hr

You need to be well minted to move here, and

“10,000 Airbnbs and nowhere to live:
Cornwall’s housing crisis” https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/10000-airbnbs-and-nowhere-to-live-cornwalls-housing-crisis/

I would definitely say Avonmouth,
However house prices / rent in Bristol have gone through the roof in the last couple of years,
Even in Chepstow & Newport house prices / rents have increased.
But back to your original question deffo Avonmouth.

You might like to have a look at this thread:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=171249

With a name like that , have you considered being a singer/ all round entertainer in a holiday camp :bulb:
I think there is still a Butlins in Minehead