Where is This ??

Well thats it Archie i give up, the only other i can think of is Sch. onberg Vojtanov. Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Well thats it Archie i give up, the only other i can think of is Sch. onberg Vojtanov. Crow.

Hullo Geoff,
Come on mate, don’t give up. I feel certain that you are probably one of the only people on tis site at this moment that has been to all of these places. :sunglasses: Wait till you’ve had your afternoon session with El Paso Cerveca, El Passionato Senoritas, then you’ll be full of life and you’ll get them all. :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.

Hiya Archie,are 4,5,6, the border at Waidhaus.

Tony Taylor:
Hiya Archie,are 4,5,6, the border at Waidhaus.

I don’t remember three lanes at Rozvadov, there was a separate lane to the right for TIR

Hello Archie, could the one with the bridge be Komarno from Czecho into Hungary :slight_smile: .
Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hello Archie, could the one with the bridge be Komarno from Czecho into Hungary :slight_smile: .
Regards Steve.

Hullo Steve,
Well Cobber you’ve got that one right, Kormarom / Kormano. What a change now, 20T limit on the Bridge and hardly any Trucks at all, I only saw two in the couple of hours I was there. It still says on the road Trucks 70m apart though. As you exit the Bridge into Hungary, on the right where there was a railway yard, there is now the Bigest Tesco Store you have ever seen. Progress eh.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie, when we have all worked out exactly where all the photos were taken then I hope that you are going to share with us the itinerary for your Grand Tour :smiley: .

P.S. I bet you didn’t send a telex from the Hotel Wien did you :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Archie 4,5, and 6 are a German Czech border but I can t remember which one Crow. Or is it Herleshausen DDR.No its got me beat, first language over the lanes is Czech but it is reminiscent of the border control not Herleshausen the DDR side, Eisenach maybe where the dogs ran up the ladder and sniffed round your tilt roof but if it is why language in CZ, it looks very familiar but can t put my finger on it.

Is that one Cinovec / Zinnwald?

Wheel Nut:

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Archie 4,5, and 6 are a German Czech border but I can t remember which one Crow. Or is it Herleshausen DDR.No its got me beat, first language over the lanes is Czech but it is reminiscent of the border control not Herleshausen the DDR side, Eisenach maybe where the dogs ran up the ladder and sniffed round your tilt roof but if it is why language in CZ, it looks very familiar but can t put my finger on it.

Is that one Cinovec / Zinnwald?

Hullo Malc,
No, sorry mate. I only ever used that border if I shipped to Hamburg.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie it s definitely a border with an inspection area that was nt common on West German border crossings but they were on DDR crossings ,the right hand lane has the Czech and German words for empty and though it does look very familiar, after nearly 20 years I can t place it of course when all is revealed we ll all say bloody hell I knew it was .I never used Komarno so did nt recognise the bridge we used Medvadov or Rajka , the actual name in Czech i ve forgotten, Crow.Rusovce or something like that.Don t tell us after all this that it s Furth im Wald.

Well it looks nothing like I remember Waidhaus or Rosvadov so I shall have a stab and say is it Folmova :confused: although I can’t remember Folmova having a roof on it.
B.T.W. I think that they might of stopped T.I.R. lorries using Komarno about 1980 when they built that new bridge at, was it Medvadov :confused: .

Regards Steve.

Steve it could be Folmava i only ever used that border in the dark and on the German side used to kip at that cafe at the top of that sodding great hill Fichtelberg.Come on Archie put us out of this suspense. and to be honest mate i m forgetting just exactly where all these borders really were.

Well geoff,I think you are right it IS Furth im Wald.I think I remember the Czech side is Folmava.If it is then Steve is also right.It bet it’s Furth im Wald.C’mon Archie tell us where it is!!!

God Archie,Ghyvelde into Belgium.The Hotel Wien in Budapest.Albinis in Prato(Not the warehouse mind,the offices!Which are inevitably on the CMR`s)

Hullo Steve, Geoff and Tony,

Yes Steve got it right, Furth im Wald / Folmava. You really would not recognise the place at all now. On the German side before you went down the slope to the Customs, there was a Shell Station where you could stock up with Smooth Woolly Socks, Tee Shirts and Nylon Stocking, plenty of Bars of Chocolate. In fact anything that would make Customs Man or a Policeman on the way down Happy in their quest for Backsheez . Now you sort of Circumnavigate the town of Furth im Wald and in the end arrive at this sort of Commercial Park, you drive through this down the slope (Shell Garage gone) to what was the Border. I was lost, I knew I was going in the right direction though, then just as I was turning left I saw a building on my right, all painted white and very smart but the shape was there, I suddenly realised that this was the Old German Customs. Zollhause. I wish now that I had walked back to get a picture. Then I was into Czecko, I filled up with good cheap diesel then walked over to the Old Folmava Customs Shed to take those photographs. It was quite strange walking through it all. No little widow to slide your Carnet under, No grim faced youths in Grey Uniforms and not a Schnifferhund in sight.

Just looking at the list of detectives, Andrewv8 1. Malcolm (Wheelnut) 1.5 (half a point mate, as you could’nt help but get the Hotel Wien :smiley: ) Harry Monk 2. Geoff Taylor 2. and Steve (Mushroomman) 2. only what is it, three to go. :frowning: :frowning:

Cheers, Archie.

Jesus Archie I ve had my collar felt there a good few times over the years, I really can t remember how to pair up the crossings these days i.e. Folmava / Furth etc No. 29 loks suspiciously lik Phils the Englishmans at Brienne looks derelict regards Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Jesus Archie I ve had my collar felt there a good few times over the years, I really can t remember how to pair up the crossings these days i.e. Folmava / Furth etc No. 29 loks suspiciously lik Phils the Englishmans at Brienne looks derelict regards Crow.

Hullo Geoff,
There you go mate, I knew you’de remember it, just as soon as you got back from the Crusty Crab and all those luscious spanish girls. Collar felt eh ? Hmm well yes. No mate not Phils, but I can almost guarantee that you know the rest of the places. A clue could be, one night there was some Motor Scooters and a tin of engine oil. :smiley: :smiley: Just a pity Crack on to Macon or Kieth the Thief have’nt looked in.
Cheers, Archie.

Next to last could be the one we mentioned on favourite restaurants Varennes climbing up to the Tunnel du Chat other one not Phils , no idea.

Hullo,
The ones that were never named by anybody, I am surprised. The Station Square at Statzione Central Prato, Bruno’s just around the corner from the square and the Station Bar, at the station. :smiley: :smiley:
p s More next year.
Cheers, Archie.

Hullo,

And just to finish, this one,
Cheers, Archie.