Where is the money?

Hi all,

I am new to this game, so much so I don’t even have my licence yet. I will be sitting class 1 and 2 at the end of the month. I know this sounds mercenary but could I please ask where the money in this game is ? I.e. Is it worth me doing my ADR and driving tankers, should I drive abroad and on that note how much more or just how much do you get paid for driving abroad ? What agencies or companies are the best to work for ?

I am looking to take home between £400/500 a week after taxes to get close to my old job. That was salaried though and I have no idea what hourly rate I need to be looking at.

I have some basic information on the 3 types of trucking,

Multi drop, which I assume is what it says it is.
Tramping, going out Monday coming back Friday and sleeping in the truck.
Trunking, going as far as you can and back again in day.

I have to say on this descriptions I prefer the sound of trunking.

If any of the above is wrong or just plain stupid the please tell me, as I said I am brand new to this and wish to gain as much knowledge from you guys as I can on this forum.

Thanks

Frankeh

SUPERMARKET work inner and outer london short hours good rates easy work bit boring but so are motorways after a while :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: if u anywhere near tilbury /purfleet we got 15 jobs coming soon 5 new store runs BOOOOOOOOOOOOM

It’s on here on multiple threads, use the search function and newbie area then try asking some more direct questions if you have them.
The cynical old gits will tell you not to bother and stay where you are so you’re better off researching it first before a lot will tell you not to :laughing:

First of all you need to get a few years under you’re belt to see what suits you and you’re lifestyle.

You will inevitably pick up the crap that people like me wouldn’t touch, and this will probably mean agencies, my own personal viewpoint is that for profit transport is to be avoided like the Black Death (shiny lorry many lights crap pay worked to death retire into poverty if you live to see it), unionised own account work such as supermarkets is the way forward, proper pay, with all the benefits sick pay, free shares ,staf discount and so on.

mike68:
First of all you need to get a few years under you’re belt to see what suits you and you’re lifestyle.

You will inevitably pick up the crap that people like me wouldn’t touch, and this will probably mean agencies, my own personal viewpoint is that for profit transport is to be avoided like the Black Death (shiny lorry many lights crap pay worked to death retire into poverty if you live to see it), unionised own account work such as supermarkets is the way forward, proper pay, with all the benefits sick pay, free shares ,staf discount and so on.

AGREED staff card life insurance if death in service 2x salary cheerfull NOT but handy

The money is on agencies doing inner london multidrops with urban-style artics. :bulb:

topmixer11:

mike68:

AGREED staff card life insurance if death in service 2x salary cheerfull NOT but handy

I always wondered about these “death in service benefits” type things… Does the widow get a cheque for the amount in question hit her doormat in time to pay for the funeral - or is it another of these insurance tight ■■■■■ strings fiddle kind of thing where the widow has to “prove non fault causality” or get told by the insurers to "pursue the employers for a payout via the HSE first) and other such ■■■■■■■■? :confused:

I always wondered about these “death in service benefits” type things… Does the widow get a cheque for the amount in question hit her doormat in time to pay for the funeral - or is it another of these insurance tight ■■■■■ strings fiddle kind of thing where the widow has to “prove non fault causality” or get told by the insurers to "pursue the employers for a payout via the HSE first) and other such ■■■■■■■■? :confused:
NOT SURE AS IM STILL ALIVE AT MO and im not married signed mine off to my mother or best mate at mo

No idea ,and I have no intention of finding out! :confused:

Seriously I believe it’s a lump sum and you’re basic hours salary up until you’re retirement age.

Winseer:
The money is on agencies doing inner london multidrops with urban-style artics. :bulb:

Which agencies do you use please ?

mike68:

Hi I fully understand that like with most jobs I will be starting at the bottom and climbing my way up to better things. How would I get into the supermarkets to drive for them ?

Do you get paid much more for travelling abroad to Europe etc ?

Thanks

Frankeh:

If any of the above is wrong or just plain stupid the please tell me

Not quite, Trunking in it’s simplest form is when you run from your depot (or a designated point A) to a Hub (or a designated point B) this more often than not applies/refers to parcel companies sending the “Night trunk” up to the main hub, It’s a case of, drive there - tip - reload - drive back - go home, rinse and repeat every working day/night, week in week out.

The advantages of Trunking are you know what you got, day in day out, and apart from unplanned events like traffic or breakdowns you know your start and finish times and can plan your life around them.
The disadvantages, it can (and does) get very repetitive and boring.

What you are referring to is called “Day work” where you do basically the same job as a Tramper yet you’ll be routed to be able to get back to base by the end of your shift as opposed to parking up and sleeping in the truck.

Be warned though, a lot of companies (most in fact) expect their pound of flesh out of day/night drivers so expect to do max driving hrs and or shift hours and 9hr RDR’s off even though you need to drive home and drive back into work the next morning, this can often mean for some people who have to commute for say 30mins to and from work, will only have 8hrs max in the house which by the time you’ve showered, ate, listened to the missus whinge about her day and so on can leave you with very little actual sleeping time compared to a tramper who parks up, showers, eats and then sleeps for 7 1/2 to 8hrs on a RDR.

RDR = Reduced Daily Rest (9hrs off from the time you pull your card to the time you can put it back in to start again) these can and often will be used 3 times per week and if your shift lasts 1 minute more than 13hrs you will have to take the RDR.

Multidrop tends to be more for day drivers whereas trampers will have either “one hitters” and reloads all week or groupage (3 or 4 drops on one trailer then reload)

hth.

your post made me laugh as your thinking there is money to be made in hgv work, yet plenty of experienced drivers have got out of hgv as there is no money to be made like there once was, so i wish you luck on trying to find a good paying job. if you think 400 take home is a good pay then i am sure you will find that sort of money in any area of driving you go for

if you want to make a decent screw i would tell you to shop around with agnecy work as they pay hourly rates and overtime after 8 hours, you will earn far more than a regular driver, if you went into firms like stobarts for example you would earn a lot more than there own drivers

as for trunking work, these days there is hardly any trunking jobs, years ago night men had trunking work to do, pick up a trailer run down the road with it drop and swap and back home all easy stuff but the job has changed now as rdc are open 24 / 7 night men are used just like day men and although jobs will be advertised as trunking, what it really means is deliveries to rdc depots and you could end up doing a good few of them in a shift

but ask yourself a question why have drivers like me got out of the game ? i have 26 years experience know the country like the back of my hand, yet with all the changes that have taken place, the low wages year after year and finaly the new cpc card that is a must have, well for many of us it was time to get out and let the muppets carry on working for the crap money that is on offer for a class 1 drive

one other tip i would give you is dont bother getting a class one, just go for a class 2 as you can have a much easyier time of things and paid almost the same and in some places a lot more than a class 1 would get

there even making the trailers longer so its going be even more of a ball ache to the job in a few years time.

on a positive note in less than 5 years time at least you will know that no matter what hgv job you end up in they will all pay 9 quid an hour so that has to be good for all those who are on less, although why they would still want to drive trucks for that sort of crap money beats me ?

desypete:
your post made me laugh as your thinking there is money to be made in hgv work, yet plenty of experienced drivers have got out of hgv as there is no money to be made like there once was, so i wish you luck on trying to find a good paying job. if you think 400 take home is a good pay then i am sure you will find that sort of money in any area of driving you go for

if you want to make a decent screw i would tell you to shop around with agnecy work as they pay hourly rates and overtime after 8 hours, you will earn far more than a regular driver, if you went into firms like stobarts for example you would earn a lot more than there own drivers

as for trunking work, these days there is hardly any trunking jobs, years ago night men had trunking work to do, pick up a trailer run down the road with it drop and swap and back home all easy stuff but the job has changed now as rdc are open 24 / 7 night men are used just like day men and although jobs will be advertised as trunking, what it really means is deliveries to rdc depots and you could end up doing a good few of them in a shift

but ask yourself a question why have drivers like me got out of the game ? i have 26 years experience know the country like the back of my hand, yet with all the changes that have taken place, the low wages year after year and finaly the new cpc card that is a must have, well for many of us it was time to get out and let the muppets carry on working for the crap money that is on offer for a class 1 drive

one other tip i would give you is dont bother getting a class one, just go for a class 2 as you can have a much easyier time of things and paid almost the same and in some places a lot more than a class 1 would get

there even making the trailers longer so its going be even more of a ball ache to the job in a few years time.

on a positive note in less than 5 years time at least you will know that no matter what hgv job you end up in they will all pay 9 quid an hour so that has to be good for all those who are on less, although why they would still want to drive trucks for that sort of crap money beats me ?

Cheerful :slight_smile: nobody likes their job and no matter what industry you talk to they all say it’s crap. I might not be doing for this for the rest of my life but I need to earn money for now so that’s why I need the advice. As for the Class one, I’m not paying for the course so I may as well do it.

Frankeh:
Hi all,

I am new to this game, so much so I don’t even have my licence yet. I will be sitting class 1 and 2 at the end of the month. I know this sounds mercenary but could I please ask where the money in this game is ? I.e. Is it worth me doing my ADR and driving tankers, should I drive abroad and on that note how much more or just how much do you get paid for driving abroad ? What agencies or companies are the best to work for ?

I am looking to take home between £400/500 a week after taxes to get close to my old job. That was salaried though and I have no idea what hourly rate I need to be looking at.

I have some basic information on the 3 types of trucking,

Multi drop, which I assume is what it says it is.
Tramping, going out Monday coming back Friday and sleeping in the truck.

If any of the above is wrong or just plain stupid the please tell me, as I said I am brand new to this and wish to gain as much knowledge from you guys as I can on this forum.

Thanks

Frankeh

I would get your licence first :smiley:

Take note of what dessy says, it’s not the job it used to be. I left to work on the railway just over a year ago for more money than driving but half the hours, i’m only temporary but it’s better than driving.
I found an old payslip from 15 years ago a couple of weeks ago and for the year up to week 37 i earned £4 short of £32000 then had night out money on top with 15 weeks to year end try doing that now when most jobs don’t even pay overtime.

Still don’t know if this thread is just a big windup, I suspect it is but I will play your game. You will definitely not get good money. In fact you will get the worse of the jobs. Say you pass both tests at the end of this month which won’t happen anyway as I don’t think you can take both so close to each other. Anyway lets say you do, you are going to apply for a top notch job possibly driving on the continent at better rates than any other jobs out there. Why would a firm give you the job over guys with impeccable CVs who have 10, 15, 20 years experience driving these routes? :wink:

alder:
Still don’t know if this thread is just a big windup, I suspect it is but I will play your game. You will definitely not get good money. In fact you will get the worse of the jobs. Say you pass both tests at the end of this month which won’t happen anyway as I don’t think you can take both so close to each other. Anyway lets say you do, you are going to apply for a top notch job possibly driving on the continent at better rates than any other jobs out there. Why would a firm give you the job over guys with impeccable CVs who have 10, 15, 20 years experience driving these routes? :wink:

They wouldn’t, nor would I expect them to. I am just trying to get as much information as I can on the industry. The post is not a windup, and decent money is subjective to the life you currently lead. Decent money to me at this time is £2k a month take home.

I am not trying to insult anyone on here or take the ■■■■ I just want the information :slight_smile: you mention working abroad but as yet nobody has answered my question with regards to earning more if you work abroad.

This is all.

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming.

alder:
Still don’t know if this thread is just a big windup, I suspect it is but I will play your game. You will definitely not get good money. In fact you will get the worse of the jobs.

Depends where you are. I know a lad who passed his test and for his first ever Class 1 job got a full time night trunking job with an agency at a company on the TPN pallet network, was and still is grossing £650 a week with 20hrs a week spent with his head in his pillow.

Frankeh, £2000 a month take home is not unrealistic, many of us are, but expect to do a 60hr week for it. Supermarket work is easy to get into on agencies and it pays a premium, especially coming up to Xmas, because not many people want to do it because for haulage its a bit of hard work. You will go to a supermarket and typically have up to 80 wheeled cages to unload and then an equivalent amount of empties to put on. You’re not rushed and it’ll keep you fit. A lot of truck drivers don’t do it because they just want to drive to places, open up the doors/curtains and have someone else do the work which is why so many are fat.

In regards to ADR, its no longer worth it. It pays maybe 50p to £1/hr more for a lot of risk. Petrol tankers are the only ADR worth doing and that is all but a closed shop. As for continental work it no longer pays above UK work like it did. You can get better paid work here so the only reason for doing continental is because of the lifestyle it offers. I would not do continental if you’ve a family or wife or a girlfriend you want to keep as you can be away for weeks at a time. It also has its own issues - apart from a few exceptions lorries cannot move in France on a weekend so if you’re not at Calais or Dunkirk by the stroke of midnight on Friday you’re not going home til Monday.

Tramping is crap in my opinion wholly due to the lack of truckstops and parking. You end up parking a lot in laybys and on industrial estates with nowhere to get a hot meal unless you have cooking gear in your cab, nowhere to get a wash or even take a crap. You do however end up getting to see more of the country. I for example rarely get to go down to the south west past Bristol, down to the south coast or north of Lockerbie because its further than I can do in a day from my base.

Trunking is easy work and easy money but it is menial and soul destroying to anyone with even the remotest amount of intelligence. I’m lucky in that we’ve got 10 different places we trunk to on a night but most of the jobs available involve going to one or two places at the most. How long do you think you can drive the same 300 miles a night, 5 nights a week?

Don’t listen to the whiners on here, they keep on bleating on about imaginary good old days and fantasy wages. They’re right, its not the job it used to be and for the majority of the job that is no bad thing. A lot of the camaraderie has gone though and that is pretty much the biggest thing that’s got worse but for much of the rest of it its a vast improvement. I was driving in those “golden years” and they were far from good and the only way you’d earn the money mentioned is by having no life, leaving home on Monday morning, not returning til Saturday afternoon, being out all week in the lorry doing max hours and usually involving a bit of running bent. The job I’m doing now which is exactly the same company and the same as it was when I did it in 1994 pays almost 3 times what it did 20 years ago so I doubt many of those claims. But the fact is you’re coming into the job now so have no experience of what it was like and therefore have no rose tinted glasses to look through and will base it on what you think of it now compared to what you’ve done before. If you start today you have no idea whether its good or bad compared to what it was like 30 years ago because you weren’t doing it back then.