Where I'm up to so far

Hello, Just wondered if anyone (Rog) could offer some advice.

I had my medical last Friday and sent my D2 and D4 off in the afternoon. I received my license back today with my class C provisional added. So all good so far as I had been expecting a long wait to get it back. Straight away I’ve booked my theory and hazard perception test through the gov website, September 29th being the earliest available appointment.

Whilst booking the hazard perception and theory I noticed that I could book my “LGV Driver CPC” I’ve clicked on it and it says its a 75 minute computer based test. The thing is from reading through Rog’s very helpful guide I though that the initial CPC was with an examiner where you would talk through your answers. Obviously I’m not getting something, could anyone enlighten me please. Should I book it now as there are spaces free which fall before I’ve taken my hazard perception and theory test.

Cheers, Ben

There are two parts to initial DCPC mod 2 (the computer part) and Mod 4 the Show and tell part. The part you can book now is the Mod 2 and it isn’t 75mins, that’s just the limit they give you. You will also need to do mod 4 to gain your blue DQC card, before you can then work.

Cheers TJ82, I will go ahead and book the computer based one then.

Out of interest If I hadn’t passed the computer based DCPC one but had passed my hazard perception and theory could I take my class C test or would the computer part of the DCPC have to be taken first?

Yes to do your practical test all you need is theory and hazard perception. The cpc case study is just another theory type test. If you’ve done plenty of revision for your theory you’ll be fine. I finished my cpc in about 20 minutes

You can take your theory & hazard perception and then C test, then take your C+E if you so wish and then do you Mod 2 &4 it just depends when you wish to do them. But you cannot legally work until you have passed Mod 2&4 :wink:

Thanks for letting me know lads, I’ve booked up all three now. Hopefully I don’t have to wait long for my training to start as It sounds like before Christmas is the easiest time to pick up work.

Yep before Christmas is the easiest time for getting work, 2 years experience over 25 all goes out the window for the silly season.
The easiest way is thro an agency (tin hat on) but register with a few if you dont like where they send you tell em and ask for somewhere else.
If you find a place you like talk to the transport manager ask for a permanent position tell em you are looking to do your class 1 aswell.

Hope this helps

Jeff.