Where I am stopped for my 45'?

Bonus points: where I am heading to be loaded with ADR cargo?

b3gbIZw.jpg

orys:
Bonus points: where I am heading to be loaded with ADR cargo?

b3gbIZw.jpg

You’re at the wishing stone, on the way to Drimnin, to load whisky. (I think)

Correct on every count. Congratulations! :wink:

(it’s a lovely drive, of all the runs I was doing for Hebrides Haulage I miss going to the Uists, Applecross and there the most).

Was that you who used to park down on the old pier at Lochaline at night sometimes?
I would quite often be in the ferry queue for Mull in the morning.
I can imagine that it would have been a great job, I get to go to a lot of these places too, and I never tire of it.
I take it that you and Murdo have parted company? Nice guy, but maybe not the biggest paycheck.

Old John:
Was that you who used to park down on the old pier at Lochaline at night sometimes?

Been there many a time, but never parked in Lochaline. Pier in Driminin - yes, but never happened in Lochaline :slight_smile:

I can imagine that it would have been a great job, I get to go to a lot of these places too, and I never tire of it.
I take it that you and Murdo have parted company? Nice guy, but maybe not the biggest paycheck.

I think he pays what he can, the rate is not too high, but overtime is 150%, which is a rare thing those days, and it’s calculated daily (like, everything over, I think 8h 45’).

So you can get a decent wage if you are doing some hours. Last year I was doing 3 extra long days per week - driving my car or van to depot on Skye, taking the truck and doing Skye deliveries then back to the yard. Next day west coast - Lochcarron, sometimes Applecross, Gairloch, Ullapool and all the way to Achiltibuie and then stop for the night on the way back. Next day few more deliveries around Skye and then drive back in a van or my car home.

That worked well over 40 hours every week, of which 1/3 was on overtime rate, plus two overnight allowances. I know some guys who were making worse money doing handball multidrop around Glasgow all week. And I had to drive to bloody Applecross with the lorry!
youtu.be/oR8Y9Hk47CQ
(that’s a video from a few years back, but you get the idea).

I complile my dashcam videos every month, I had some of the most scenic they are:
youtu.be/censouBE0VI

Why we parted ways? Well, for some reason he stopped sending me to all the nice places and was keeping me local. Probably I became overqualified after I got my ADR and class 1 and he wanted to keep me handy just in case some ADR load comes or you need to hitch a trailer for a bigger load. But I told him if I am to drive around Glasgow and central belt all the time, I can do it for better money, I am here for the scenic views. Nothing had changed, so I left.

It is possible that he did it on purpose, as he wanted to make me go as well, as I’ve been assaulted by the aggressive warehouse guy a couple of years back despite me reporting his behaviour to management several times and the company did nothing and never wanted to take responsibility for their employee, so I sued them and won quite a decent compensation from them.

As you can guess that caused some awkward atmosphere so it was a factor in my decision to leave too.

But I have no bad feelings, Hebrides Haulage was a driving adventure of my life and I really like Murdo, he is a nice guy. I am agency now, but if he called me that, say, Uist run needs covered, I would gladly go and enjoy the old places :wink:

But the bottom line is that I am leaving Britain and wanted to get some more class 1 experience so it would be easier for me to look for a job in the new country. And occassional shunting and odd run with the trailer around Glasgow in Heb was not enough to learn the big ropes :slight_smile: