'Where do you want this lot? A great read for older drivers!

Can I recommend to you all Bob Rust’s book 'Where do you want this lot? Published by Gingerfold Publications of Manchester, www.gingerfold.com
Bob is an old BRS man who tells his tales in an informative and humourous fashion. I thoroughly enjoyed his stories and recommend it to all my fellow lorry drivers.
Todays steering wheel holders may learn a thing or two about real lorry drivers, camerardarie, and doing the job properly, in it’s pages.
As an ‘old’ BRS man myself, Bob refreshed my memory about some of the depots, loads and digs we used to know. Although, to the best of my knowledge, I have never met him, I’m sure we are ‘birds of a feather!’

Thanks for the post about the book, i’m going to get one :smiley:
But i’m not an old driver, more a seasoned driver :laughing:

Charles

Yes,thanks for the post re. Bob Rust’s book.
Just sent for mine and looking forward to reading it.I’m sure it will bring back some good memories,especially to an 'owd 'un like me.

I’ve just finished reading Bob Rust’s book “Where do you want this lot?” and can thoroughly recommend it to all drivers and especially “senior” ones.
Full of laughs and things not so funny as Bob goes through his transport career.
Brings back a lot of memories.

Ex BRS meself. Three yrs. before the mast ( was invented ) :laughing:

Nice picture Harry.Never worked for BRS but knew some of the Sheffield Staniforth Road drivers.
Where was the Leyland based with a code of 3A?I know JA and DA were Sheffield codes.
Those 4-in-line trailers were a bind if you got a flat.

3A was East Anglia. I drove a shed like that for three years.Luckily I dodged that four in line set-up. They were lethal if you got a blow-out. I thought that it might be my old gal but mine had a metal roof rack with a rail around it.

harry:
3A was East Anglia. I drove a shed like that for three years.Luckily I dodged that four in line set-up. They were lethal if you got a blow-out. I thought that it might be my old gal but mine had a metal roof rack with a rail around it.

I never drove the old Comet but there were plenty knocking about in the 60’s when I first went on the road.
First Leyland I drove was a LAD-cabbed Badger reg 9902 FZ ex N I T.
I was like a dog with two tails when It was handed down to me.After driving Albions the Leyland was more “luxurious” if you know what I mean-nicer finish inside and a nicer engine tone.

What you mean is you got an engine & a cab too! Instead of living in a gutless garden shed… :laughing:

harry:
What you mean is you got an engine & a cab too! Instead of living in a gutless garden shed… :laughing:

Yes,then went back to sheds-on tanker work.AEC MK3 8-legger,sliding doors,opening front screen,batteries under drivers seat etc…
Mind you it did have a speedo and an air gauge and electric wiper(only one) :frowning:
but the money was spot on.
Bottom line-best move I ever made. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

harry:

Yes,then went back to sheds-on tanker work.AEC MK3 8-legger,sliding doors,opening front screen,batteries under drivers seat etc…
Mind you it did have a speedo and an air gauge and electric wiper(only one) :frowning:
but the money was spot on.
Bottom line-best move I ever made. :smiley:

Oh,I forgot.It had a 6-speed box and 8-wheel braking plus a cab light.

And a coat hook. :wink:

Well those old leylands had vacuum brakes,which meant you had to be handy at going down the box if you wanted to stop with a load on. :laughing:

it was an old brs driver that first showed me the knot each time i went into his depot (queensferry) he used to come and check my load and if it was not right he would make me re -rope and he would wittle on for ages but he took me under his wing and i lernt alot from him i am now retired and have passed lots of info on to young guys and had many a laugh at some of there loads