Where do you park your truck?

I have often commented about the fact that in all the years working at my company I have never left my truck in a depot when at home and it stays with me always, when I have no trailer it is usually on my driveway, when I have a trailer it is across the road. I took this shot of our Jeep after I had taken the roof down (it was a disgustingly hot 90f outside), you can see how near I keep the truck and when I parked it there on Thursday night as I got out of the cab a police vehicle roared up to my door, the cop was just checking as he saw the door open and it was night time. I have to say I love the way the cops around here know me and my truck and keep an eye on it for break in’s.

Fascinating…

Cool story bro

At the firm I worked for previously,I used to park the lorry(eight wheeler grab tipper) at home when it suited me-sometimes five days a week-i usually made sure it was in the yard at the weekend though.all the neighbours were cool with it though-known most of them for years-if they needed a bit of rubbish taking away I’d chuck it on of course!!
The company before that it was the same.aswell
The place I work now is five mins from the house so not much point parking at home-and they provide a van for me to commute anyway :sunglasses:

At home ,sometimes up by the garage ,sometimes right behind the house :smiley:

I was on home based tramping for about 12 yrs with 3 different firms out of my area.
It was really handy parking across the road at a mate’s yard who has a few trucks of his own.
I could pack up all my kit night before, walk out of the house and just crack on 10 to 15 minutes after.
Last 9 yrs have to travel 13 miles or so to depot, so obviously had to put another car on the road with all the expense that brings, just to have it parked up for 5 days a week.
So home based tramping does have it’s advantages.

Riveting. I’ll sleep better now.

One of the reasons I actually asked the question was that when I was in England at Christmas my best mate in all my life came to see me almost every evening, he has recently retired from the transport industry, he started out as a driver of a ‘Noddy lorry’ (7.5 toner) for a well known carrier company in the 70’s and rose through the ranks until he actually owned a quite large company, he has since sold it off but remains on the board of an even larger transport group, he was shocked to learn that even thought I was in the UK for almost 3 weeks my truck stayed at my house the whole time and nobody else used it :open_mouth: I tried to explain that my depot is 250 miles from my house and they would not expect me to travel all that way to drop it off or collect it. My company also understand that if some other guy spent even one night in the truck I would not take it anywhere until the mattress was replaced.
Years ago when I worked on Swifts I worked on the ‘Motorcraft’ contract, I had just started in transport and I drove a Ford D series rigid, even though I only lived 5 miles from the depot I kept the lorry at home every week night.

Pat Hasler:
My company also understand that if some other guy spent even one night in the truck I would not take it anywhere until the mattress was replaced.

You don’t stay in hotels then?

switchlogic:

Pat Hasler:
My company also understand that if some other guy spent even one night in the truck I would not take it anywhere until the mattress was replaced.

You don’t stay in hotels then?

Only new ones

Crazy amount of animosity on this post towards the OP for seemingly no apparent reason…

When I started driving for Tilcon we took the lorries home, or as close to home as reasonable, and they stayed there even when we were on holiday etc unless repairs etc were needed. However around 1985 that all changed and the insurers insisted on them being parked at base at all times. Most local companies were the same, plenty of parking places locally for trucks back then though.

Pete.

Many O licences have restrictions on where vehicles are kept when not working , many areas have bans on goods vehicles or vehicles over certain weights parking on residential streets . Also as is becoming common the insurance companies are placing restrictions on where vehicles are parked .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

In a yard over here, a mate of my boss who also runs his own motors.

Occasionally dump the trailer in an industrial estate and take the unit home, have left it in another yard near me when I’ve had a load on. Rarely of much benefit to have it home other than saving me petrol.

We don’t have O licence rules here, one rule that is strange is the 8 hour sleeper rule, it clearly says we can take an 8 hour sleeper break away from the depot but it has a different application for my case, I can take an 8 hour sleeper break in the depot but not at my home, I have to book the full 10 hours off duty and away from the cab.

I’ve been known to have the odd night out at home.

20170601_213840.jpg

lappland life 207.jpgUsed to park outside my house,especially in the Winter so i could run a heater Cable to the truck.

Pat Hasler:
I have to say I love the way the cops around here know me and my truck and keep an eye on it for break in’s.

That’s good. Wouldn’t want anyone breaking in and stealing your sat nav :smiley:

And to answer your question, I park it in the yard. You’d be deeply unpopular driving an artic anywhere near my house :astonished:

Where do you park your truck ?

At the company’s depot.