Where do you draw the line?

Why is it that rigid drivers (vans, 8 tonners, 18 tonners) all automatically think they have priority at any drop because they’re in a smaller vehicle than yourself :question: :angry: .

I’m fed up of patiently waiting my turn in a queue whilst an artic in front finishes tipping only to have one of the above coming flying down the side of me and jump in front because ‘I’ve only got a couple of pallets mate’.

I couldn’t give a zebidee if you’ve 500 pallets or just one box, there is a thing called courtesy and that is to nicely ask the driver in front if s/he minds if you may go in front as you only have one pallet etc. Just blasting past and pulling up in front of me where I was about to position myself for tipping is like waving a red rag to a bull.

Over this past couple of weeks I’ve been doing artic ‘multi-drop’ work myself and have only had a couple of pallets for each place, not a full load, so I’m sure I’ve upset a few rigid drivers when I’ve made it clear that 'no you can’t ‘just get round me’ because you ‘only have a couple of pallets’. I haven’t got all day.

Without a doubt the parcel company 8 tonner drivers are the worst for it. I’m sorry, but using the excuse ‘I’ve got 80 drops to do today’ doesn’t wash with me; you took the job on so you have to be prepared for hold-ups.

99% of the time if I am asked first I will happily let them go first unless there’s another artic waiting behind for example but those that just assume it will be okay regularly find themselves blocked in so that can’t get out until I’ve finished tipping my ‘only a couple of pallets’.

Can anyone relate :question:

Cheers.

Well i must agree with you and have experienced the impatient people on many occasions…but unlike you i always believe in the first come first served, so i ploitely tell them that there is a queue…the only exception are those that carry a parcel or box in and just need a signature…i also have a problem in supermarkets when waiting patiently in a queue and someone says would you mind, ive only got this one item`…sorry mate but theres a special queue for small amounts of items…and time is precious to all of us…
have a nice day

Cant say Ive been in that situation yet.

If they ask politely and I havent been there long and Ive got a full load to drop then maybee.otherwise theres no chance.

I generally draw it staright away Rob, soz M8, theres thsa back of the Q! But really, it aught to be down to the recieveing firm, they know all about it!

Its because we 17t drivers work for a living unlike you artic drivers :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

PS i only jump the queue if im told to by the forkie

SimonRS2K:
Its because we 17t drivers work for a living unlike you artic drivers :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sharp intake of breath! the cheek of it! :laughing:

I am in total agreement with this one :exclamation:

Years ago I was on a dock near Dover ready to unload after waiting about an hour, some guy walked in with a small box and asked the goods in guy to sign for it, the guy made him wait untill I was empty which took a hour :laughing:

SimonRS2K:
PS i only jump the queue if im told to by the forkie

And the shunters…

Sorry Rob but I’m that driver who waves his notes and claims I’ve just a couple of pallets… Never failed yet :slight_smile:

Besides, don’t they leave a bay or 2 free for us rigid’s ?

Queue ? what queue ?

I was tipping on a small industrial estate in Wales and I had to open up both sides and the rear doors to get 5 awkward shaped pallets out, The forklift driver did his best and was just getting the last one when a 4 wheeler Baxi heating truck came round the corner, and tried to force his way through. The forklift couldnt get the pallet off with him in the way, The driver wouldnt move his truck so it ended up me having to drive mine forward to give the bloke room.

This prat just forced his way past without any accknowledgement and we continued tipping my truck.

I strapped up the sides and got my CMR signed. when i drove around the corner this bloke was sat in his cab outside a little shop. I had to take a break on the estate but when I left the Baxi driver was asleep over the wheel in a layby.

Total ■■■■■■■■ and that is why truck drivers have a bad name

Last year I was on general haulage for a Gloucester firm and pulled into the yard of a factory in the back of beyond. There was a Norbert Dentresangle lorry being unloaded. I opened the curtains and was preparing to climb back into the cab when the French driver asked me how many pallets I had. When I told him one he told the forkie to unload me.

Makes a change.

Pat Hasler:
I am in total agreement with this one :exclamation:

Years ago I was on a dock near Dover ready to unload after waiting about an hour, some guy walked in with a small box and asked the goods in guy to sign for it, the guy made him wait untill I was empty which took a hour :laughing:

That’s a bit unreasonable - you can imagine that happening to some people on here - no names, no pack drill - but goods in guy would have been in hospital having something surgically removed with a very long pair of tongs.

Me I get paid by the hour & that includes sitting on me rear time.
I use to do multi drop & hated ASDA stores, they expected you to wait to get a signature for one tiny package so I use to leave a “I called but you were not here” note & let them phone & sort it with the office.
I’ve also told the forkie to load / unload the other driver before/ in the middle of loading me if I know the other drivers company pays a different rate for waiting time.
BUT GOD HELP THE DRIVER WHO THINKS HE HAS A RIGHT TO PUSH IN.

I usually Drive a 18t but must admit i ALWAYS wait my turn in the que however long it is. The only exception to this is if i get waved on by the yard man etc and even then i make a point of telling the driver at the front of the que what as happened and explain i wont be two minutes. To me i can wait all day as i am hourly paid too so the longer the que the better!!!

two of the worst up here are parcel force and tuffnell’s,they think as rob say’s 80+ drops that they have the devine right to jump in.and when the forkie driver ignores them and carry’s on tipping me they get p’d off. eventually they’ll say to him will you tip them couple of pallets off me mate he say’s unless you have asked this driver if it’s ok then no i can’t you jumped the q and expect to get tipped .so he’ll come over to me and ask and when i say sorry pal if you had asked b4 then i might have said no probs,but since you expect then sorry no you’ll wait like the rest of us have to. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: it’s great to get yer own back on them riggid drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I do multi drop in an artic, and on the whole we probably have 1 or 2 pallets for each drop. But I would never expect to jump the queue. As far as I am concerned there is a queue, and you join the back of it.
Don’t get me wrong though, if the forklift drivers tells me to pull up to the front and he will whip the pallet off, them I never refuse that one. But then likewise, I dont mind if roles are reversed and the forklift driver tips one pallet off another wagon when I have a full load.
It has even been known for me to help hand ball a load off another wagon rather than jump the queue.

On multidrop, I used to either: Handball the pallett (if appropriate) onto another one, get a singature and bugger owft. Or sit their for 20 mins or so, then bugger owft 'phoning the office with the excuse that nothing’s move for 20 mins. Ex gaffer (it was pall - ex work on an artic) would pull me out every time as he once chucked a stroppy and six hours later, I 'phoned him & told him I was still at Hays, Bardon Hill Coalville :open_mouth: :laughing: . I have been guilty of que jumping in the past, but it’s been done in such a way that no one mones about it/. In fact they used to take bets as to weather I’d be more than 30 mins from pulling thru the gate at Morrisons Chill Wakefield with 2 pallets and a rigid. Drop and drive, pull 'em off myself :smiley: .

I don’t so much mind people jumping the que if they do it politley like most. It’s common decency.

Got to admit to doing it when on the rigid for Deb, but we had tail lifts and pallet trucks onboard, and everything was signed for unchecked. All the forkie/good in had to do was sign.

Never had any complaints from anyone, even helped a fellow artic driver out who had one pallet for them and was 6th in the queue. The goods in said if he hand balled it off they would sign it for him, I backed up and pulled it accross into the back of my rigid and dropped it off with the tail lift.

So not all rigid drivers are bad, but I have finally come to my senses and gone back on the bendy’s :smiley:

Ask,and ye shall receive sayeth the lord and I’m fine with that.I will even OFFER the chance to get 1 or 2 pallets off to a FELLOW driver.It could have something to do with me being hourly paid :wink:

I think its just down to individual mate, i have been doing multi drop Bakery deliverys in an rigid for the past couple of weeks and although i sometimes only have a few items to drop off wouldnt dare push in.

Its all about courtesy some people have it some dont give a (ZB) I dont think that will ever change