Where Did It All Start?

I had been in there before but today was different.

Pop came up the A12 to Marks Tey and said we were going into The Bungalow Cafe for breakfast and as he approached his hands started to do the jig I had seen so many times on the gearstick and column split-shift of the big Foden.
Into the dirt lorry park of The Bungalow, swing a big circle and parked between 2 other lorries.

At 10 or 11 years old the huge tyres and wheels of the parked lorries still nearly came to the top of my head, and the hot brakes hissed and ticked as we walked to the door.
Inside it was jammed with these huge (to me) lorry drivers and the air was thick with the scent of bacon, eggs, tea and cigarette smoke.
Men talked and cutlery rattled.

But today was different.

Somehow, somewhere, my Dad had managed to find a ‘Boiler Suit’ and a pair of black, pimpled work-boots, the same as his, to fit an 11 year old.
Today I wasn’t the 11 year old son of a lorry driver having breakfast with his Dad.

No.

Today me, my boiler suit, and my boots belonged.
Today I fitted into that room of overalled men with their gnarled hands, loud laughs, boots and tea-cups.

Already this morning me and my Dad had straightened out a sheet, checked the oil, and wound up some ropes. We’d driven up the road for a way, and now us two lorry men were stopping for a bit of breakfast.

facebook.com/thelorryman

Hi Mickerly i get the nostalgia, however you must give us all a glue of what you want ,forget face book .majority of men on here are seasoned ,weathered ,hard working men who like a drink allegedly ,and spent there whole working lives in the transport industry some some graduated to owners, management and some like me probably did the same as your dad,just enough.

Have we got to continue your start of a story as it goes.or shall i just park up or if you want to know where i started up my, “DRIVING HISTORY” is somewhere
on the forum on this section but must be way down the list, pages back .other than that sorry where did it all start.

Mikerlay:
I had been in there before but today was different.

Pop came up the A12 to Marks Tey and said we were going into The Bungalow Cafe for breakfast and as he approached his hands started to do the jig I had seen so many times on the gearstick and column split-shift of the big Foden.
Into the dirt lorry park of The Bungalow, swing a big circle and parked between 2 other lorries.

At 10 or 11 years old the huge tyres and wheels of the parked lorries still nearly came to the top of my head, and the hot brakes hissed and ticked as we walked to the door.
Inside it was jammed with these huge (to me) lorry drivers and the air was thick with the scent of bacon, eggs, tea and cigarette smoke.
Men talked and cutlery rattled.

But today was different.

Somehow, somewhere, my Dad had managed to find a ‘Boiler Suit’ and a pair of black, pimpled work-boots, the same as his, to fit an 11 year old.
Today I wasn’t the 11 year old son of a lorry driver having breakfast with his Dad.

No.

Today me, my boiler suit, and my boots belonged.
Today I fitted into that room of overalled men with their gnarled hands, loud laughs, boots and tea-cups.

Already this morning me and my Dad had straightened out a sheet, checked the oil, and wound up some ropes. We’d driven up the road for a way, and now us two lorry men were stopping for a bit of breakfast.

facebook.com/thelorryman

Where was the Bungalow Café you are referring to located ■■?, Regards Larry.

Hi Mikerlay, I used to deliver to Colchester and used the A12, But I cant recall a café Named the Bungalow, Help me out here please as Im getting old & my mems are fading rapidly if you know what I mean, Regards Larry.

Bungalow was in Marks Tey
Here’s a Google Map link

Stupot:
Here’s a Google Map link
Google Maps

Thanks for the Info, Regards Larry.

Stupot:
Here’s a Google Map link
Google Maps

If my memory serves me right there was another café next door to the bungalow,anyone remember it?.
regards dave.