Where did I have to give way to a yacht?

Banavie ?

Yep. Neptunes staircase. First time i’ve ever had to stop at barrier. Seen plenty of boats using locks while on holiday etc, but first time actually stopping for one!

What do you expect up there, it’s the wafi season in full swing :slight_smile:

First time stopped in about 9 years!

Just looked on Street View, does the railway track move as well? Wouldn’t have though a train would stop for a boat.

There’s one in Riddlesden as well

goo.gl/maps/3uGz0

Ian G:
Just looked on Street View, does the railway track move as well? Wouldn’t have though a train would stop for a boat.

There used to be lots of railway swing bridges and the trains did have to stop and wait! Shipping on the rivers was often controlled by tide times and the trains had to work around the ships. The rail swing bridge at Banavie was still active last year, the bridges at Selby and Goole on the Ouse and also Keadby on the Trent I have seen operating. I’m sure there are many more.

Bloody ell Martin, how old are you as the last time Keadby bridge opened was in 1956 ■■

raymundo:
Bloody ell Martin, how old are you as the last time Keadby bridge opened was in 1956 ■■

And that was probably me going through it on my grandfather’s boat! Not actually a swing bridge…

Martin:

raymundo:

And that was probably me going through it on my grandfather’s boat! Not actually a swing bridge…

Back in the late 80’s I used to run quite often to Gleadalls at Gainsbro’ on a small coaster and coming back down empty there were many times my heart was in my mouth thinking I had misjudged the airdraft on that poxy Keadby bridge and was going to bend the top of the wheelhouse a bit. IIRC the point of no return was a few hundred yards upstream, pass that and you was committed so close your eyes and hope for the best :open_mouth: