When?

At 27 years old I am late to driving but just passed my full driving licence (standard licence for a car). Now I wish to do my HGV licence…but with minimal actual driving experience I worry that would make me not very employable as a lorry driver and therefore am thinking would taking my HGV licence this year be premature? When would you guys recommend going for my HGV?

Rincewind_:
At 27 years old I am late to driving but just passed my full driving licence (standard licence for a car). Now I wish to do my HGV licence…but with minimal actual driving experience I worry that would make me not very employable as a lorry driver and therefore am thinking would taking my HGV licence this year be premature? When would you guys recommend going for my HGV?

Now,no point waiting if it’s what you wanna do…Gaining experience in a car WILL help but not massively so why hang about?!

Good on you for having a goal, best of luck chap

If you pass the test and get the entitlement on your licence now, wheres the harm in that. Good luck and dont be put off by some of the doom mongers on here :smiley:

ckm1981:
Now, no point waiting if it’s what you wanna do… Gaining experience in a car WILL help but not massively so why hang about?!

+1

How long ago did you pass? Thought you had to wait a year before taking your Class 2.

Woe, positive replies! And a couple of months ago, Radar. As far as I can tell from the DVLA website on going for Category C licences you only have to be 18 or older and prove you’re medically fit. Unless I am mistaken?

You can’t gain experience if you don’t have the licence

Rincewind_:
Woe, positive replies! And a couple of months ago, Radar. As far as I can tell from the DVLA website on going for Category C licences you only have to be 18 or older and prove you’re medically fit. Unless I am mistaken?

If thats the case then whats stopping you drive! Crack on!

Very true Nowak!

Knock on a few doors. Ring some numbers. And tell a few fibs if you have to. Not about things that can find you out.

My first 7.5 job, I was asked about experience. Was honest and told him that I’d never done it for a living. But I drove my wife’s horse box to all manner of events every weekend.

My wife has never had a horse box, or even a horse.

Probably because I’ve never been married.

And I wouldn’t marry a horsey piece anyway. Lol

That’s brilliant, LOL

In the 80s a person aged 21 could do a double L plate test where they did their very first test in an artic

Hahaha

I had done less than 1000 miles on the road before I took my Class 2. Although I had done plenty of shunting wagons in the yard over the years. It took me 2 attempts, that was 6 years ago, and I haven’t been out of work for a day since. Not that I had before, but you see my point.

It’s all up to you, best of luck!

Cheers guys

Lavaeolus, (anyone who’s read all the books will get that :smiley: ),

When I started my instructor asked how long I’d been driving. I told him 17 years and he said ‘Right, 17 years of bad habits to get rid of, then.’ He was smiling, sort of.

As a new driver you’ll still have how to drive on a test fresh in your mind. The lack of experience may be a challenge, but you’ll have a lower chance of forgetting yourself and texting your missus, rolling a ■■■ and steering with your knees while on test!

Dan.

Lol

Dan156:
Lavaeolus, (anyone who’s read all the books will get that :smiley: ),

When I started my instructor asked how long I’d been driving. I told him 17 years and he said ‘Right, 17 years of bad habits to get rid of, then.’ He was smiling, sort of.

As a new driver you’ll still have how to drive on a test fresh in your mind. The lack of experience may be a challenge, but you’ll have a lower chance of forgetting yourself and texting your missus, rolling a ■■■ and steering with your knees while on test!

Dan.

It’s so true. I consider myself to be an experienced driver and I’d already been driving professionally for 7 months before I started my Cat C. By the 3ed day I was test ready, on the 4th I was so used to the truck my instructor kept telling me off. I wasn’t driving dangerously but I also wasn’t driving in the way they want you to on test. Also my test centre was 3 miles from where I live so I knew nearly all the test routes.

So to put it simply, I already drive so much on the roads I could easily have failed as I knew very quickly what I was doing in the truck. Fortunately for me my test also took me away from home and not passed my front door :open_mouth:

Rincewind_:

Its never to late, but I’ll give you an advice: start driving car as much as you can, get used to motorway, roadways, drivers habits on the road, drive in bad weather etc. Then in a year time and when you feel confident get your HGV/LGV licence.

Good luck :wink: