When Will My Medical Be Due?

I did my initial HGV medical 21.03.15 (aged 48).
Passed Cat C 18.06.15.
Passed C+E 11.09.15
My driving licence expires 25.06.20.
My driver card expires 16.06.20.

Q. Is my medical due 5 years from the date I took it or on the date my driving licence expires?

Q. I understand that I need to renew my drivers card a minimum of 15 days before it expires, do I have to return my current card?

Q. I understand that I will receive a reminder to renew my driving licence 56 days before it expires, can I renew it anytime within those 56 days? Will I have to return my current licence? How long does the process take?

Q. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Whatever date it says next to cat C on licence is when D4 medical expires

ROG:
Whatever date it says next to cat C on licence is when D4 medical expires

Thanks Rog.

Its 25.06.20, is it normal for the date to extend past the 5 year mark?

123smith:

The full licence lasts for five years and the medical becomes due then. I would agree that it is longer since you actually passed a medical, but that is the system.

Q2 No, you don’t need to return your current driver card. You will need to carry both for a time, in order to keep a 28 day record with you.

Q3 I believe it is in your interests to send your renewal relatively late, because the renewal date is not preserved. Send your licence, D4 medical form and the renewal form that will be posted to you. I suppose you may wish to take into account any probable issue with your medical and how long that could take to deal with too. They may tell you a photo is required.

Noremac:

123smith:

The full licence lasts for five years and the medical becomes due then. I would agree that it is longer since you actually passed a medical, but that is the system.

Q2 No, you don’t need to return your current driver card. You will need to carry both for a time, in order to keep a 28 day record with you.

Q3 I believe it is in your interests to send your renewal relatively late, because the renewal date is not preserved. Send your licence, D4 medical form and the renewal form that will be posted to you. I suppose you may wish to take into account any probable issue with your medical and how long that could take to deal with too. They may tell you a photo is required.

Brill - Thank you do the info.

Can I continue to drive whilst the renewal is in progress?

If there is a medical issue then DVLA will send you a letter allowing you to keep driving whilst it is sorted out
This may mean going to a DVLA approved medical place to have it check out for FREE

ROG:
If there is a medical issue then DVLA will send you a letter allowing you to keep driving whilst it is sorted out
This may mean going to a DVLA approved medical place to have it check out for FREE

Thanks again!