When is a tyre illegal?

I was sat at a parade of shops watching a copper and a PCO delivering leaflets into the local shops, informative leaflets advising you to make sure you lock your house if you go out and giving the advice line number for victims of bullying ,harrasment,transgender helpline and other such usefull stuff to the ‘community’ . I couldn’t believe my ears and eyes when this guy approached them and asked them to have a look at his tyre. He pointed out the nail in it then asked was the tread legal and if he got it repaired could he use it as a spare. This flummoxed the two coppers who did;t have a clue and told him they didn’t.

I was hoping they where going to say yeah its illegal, here’s a ticket and some penalty points for ya !! :smiley:
Anyway, i suppose joe egg might be forgive for being cluess over the legality of tyres but the guy in question is a Arriva bus driver. He must just hope for the best every day he takes his bus out. :smiley:

Taking pictures of police can get you done on terrorist charges nowadays mike :laughing:

merc0447:
Taking pictures of police can get you done on terrorist charges nowadays mike :laughing:

Urba myth that mate, i wasted their time and asked them :smiley:

So, to sum up we have a bus driver, a PCO & a bobby and not one of them know the tyre law :unamused: :open_mouth: :imp:

if this guy who is apparently a bus driver,cannot make an informed decesion that a tyre is legal or not,he should not be driving for a living!.it sounds to me more like a attention seeking disorder,and him trying to “make friends” with the policemen.
would have been ace if they were traffic cops,and they said yeh 3 points and a fine that is illegal sir!! :laughing:

these are types of things that really annoy me ,

on your driving test /theory , you are required by law to know details about the vehicle you are driving , one of the major items i would say is knowing your tyre tread depth , and even if you do not know that there are tabs on your tyres these days that even indicate when a tyre needs changing bloody pillok

No law on spare tyres - not included in MOT

The tyres currently being used on the vehicle must be legal.

A driver could have the most shredded tyre in the spare tyre holder but the moment it is put on the vehicle to be driven on the public highway then it is illegal

Quite correct Rog. Oh the arguments i’ve had about that one! :unamused:

I used to take 50 cars a year for test & the bar stool barristers still thought they knew better.

i got a free tread depth checker from VOSA stating the legal minimum for cars and lorries on it :sunglasses:

Sadly the scale goes from 0 to 10mm in 1mm steps so i’m not sure how your supposed to tell where 1.6mm is but it was a good effort on their part :laughing:

ROG:

A driver could have the most shredded tyre in the spare tyre holder but the moment it is put on the vehicle to be driven on the public highway then it is illegal

Which is totally opposite to what you were sating a couple of weeks ago on here. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Which is totally opposite to what you were sating a couple of weeks ago on here. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

traffic laws change according to his post at the time to suit his needs :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Has anyone had any experience of tread coming off tyres. We have some DAF’s with Goodyear Marathons on the drive axle and one I had recently had patches all round the offside tyres with missing tread.

According to our fitters it is an ongoing problem but apparently VOSA say it is only an advisory defect.

We are a ‘designated premises’ and therefore have a VOSA tester in every week.

Cynic-al:
i got a free tread depth checker from VOSA stating the legal minimum for cars and lorries on it :sunglasses:

Sadly the scale goes from 0 to 10mm in 1mm steps so i’m not sure how your supposed to tell where 1.6mm is but it was a good effort on their part :laughing:

Mine was a little bit more expensive than that.