When I was on the Middle-East

Hi guys
Here are a couple of my old pics, when I was running down to Doha for Astran.
The first one is at Mosul on Christmas day, forget which year 89 I think…

The next one is before my 141 had a re-fit

And the next one is after the re-fit…

I hope you like them…plenty more where these came from.

Lovely old trucks.I had a 140.This is ex-ME. Note the deisel tanks on the trailer. they were connected to the main tank with fuel lines & the pump was operated from the cab.

Here you GS and the other members of the forum that like the old pictures from the middle east from my albums dated 1984/5
The first picture is at the telex motel in Ankara waiting for visas the first truck is mine a rare 112h 340hp low loader spec i think flat out at 58mph no limiter just that was full throttle but it went like a train.
The second truck was camelwagon(i dont mind being corrected) i think pulling for Charlie Prior down to Kuwait with mars bars
The third truck belonged to David Duxbury from Preston alway smartly turned out

The picture below is stopped on Gasientep mountain my truck at that time was the 111 at the rear, the driver on the left is Chris Stevenson the lad on the right i dont remember his name but he worked for Taffy Davies

The same trucks stopped in the desert after changing trailers when my truck dropped to five pots after burning a valve out it came back to the uk like this. :open_mouth: ,tough engines in those days
Also notice at the foot of the pic the crude oil sprayed on to sand to stop it blowing on to the road like the bottom pictire

Saudi after a sand storm it puts a shine on the snow chains if you have use them as it is like driving on ice or marbles

great pictures! got any more?

GS OVERLAND:
Hi guys
Here are a couple of my old pics, when I was running down to Doha for Astran.

Very evocative pics, I’m sure! Thanks for posting them. Is that a Leyland Roadtrain at the far end of the row in the first pic??

Note the diesel tanks on the trailer.

In 1972 I photographed this Mack, parked in Istanbul, it was operated by ICC (Iran Container Company) and the belly tank can be seen, slung between the frames of the semi-trailer. This huge tank stretched from behind the legs back to the leading rear axle. In Iran in 1971 I remember that you get about 14 gallons of diesel for the equivalent of £1, so it was a great advantage for the Iranians to have these tanks, especially as that particular company used to run as far as Germany. When I first went out that way in 1968, the fuel prices were even better.

No its not a Leyland roadtrain, its a Scammell six wheeler double drive. The cab is a Leland Roadtrain cab.

Excellent pics and memories lads, keep em coming.

Bullitt.

Good pics, but that’s some hair-do

GS OVERLAND:
No its not a Leyland roadtrain, its a Scammell six wheeler double drive. The cab is a Leland Roadtrain cab.

Was that the infamous “Scammell Scud” ■■? :smiley:

Yes I believe it was called the Scud, when we used to be on the convoys in Syria and Jordan, there was always one of us in the first five by the time we got to the exit border. And then you know what happens, we did what the Turks and Arabs did, let our slower mates in. That used to cause some ructions when we were doing our passports. I remember one trip in Derraa border, a Turk from Reyhanli down the bottom of Turkey near Cilvegozu, took my offside mirror clean out with his trailer, so I jumped out of my truck with my big Syrian hammer and smashed his mirror. An eye for an eye and all that…the police came over to see what all the hooha was about and when they found out just said tammum ( Turkish and Arabic for OK) and that was that. All because I got in front of him.
Anyway sorry to drift of into yet another trip. The Turks used to call both my 141 and that Scammel the Scud…
Last I heard of Bob Poggiani was that he had a pub in the midlands somewhere( blackcountry)
As for the hairdo, well what can I say!!! its not that long now…
GS OVERLAND
More pics soon.

Hi guys heres a nice pic of Black Billy posing between our two trucks in Doha.

and heres one of my 141 at Taspinar tank farm, Aksaray, while taking my Bellytank off on my way down to Doha.

GS OVERLAND:

[/quote]

The one on the left looks awesome :sunglasses:

Heres some more pics from my Middle-East days on the road.
This one is Bob Hedley at Baiji, near Baghdad, Iraq on the same Christmas as previous pics.

And this one is when I was in Kuwait just after the first Gulf war…

please please please…more!!!

Spot on pics you guys

make locals on nights seem even more boring than it already is :laughing:

Please keep these great old pic`s coming :smiley:

Cheers

Eh klunk do you know “Bob Baker” or “Black bob”? He used to work for Dave Duxbury and is now on Stobarts

Klunk / GS Overland keep them coming

Oi The Biker
Did you see the pic of my Duke that I posted specially for you a couple of weeks ago? Cant remember which forum though!!

GS OVERLAND:

Is Black Billy a gentleman by the name of Bill Hall by any chance. I worked for Cornwall Bros in Staines after leaving school and Bill was one of their drivers, he drove an old M reg 240 Volvo F88 this would have been late 70s.If I remember rightly he bought that White and worked for Pan Arabian in Colnbrook it was originaly a standard cab and Bill had it converted.