Wheels/Tyres advice please

A mate of mine is getting rid of a full set of Alcoa alloy wheels off his Daf ssc. He has 295/80 tyres on the drives and midlift but has super single rims and tyres on the steers. The super single rims have retrofit nuts.

My unit is a MAN on 315/70 tyres all round. However, the rims are 22.5x8.25H which I was told when I’d already bought the unit were actually 295/80 rims.

My question is,based on what I’ve said, should I be able to put my 315/70 tyres straight onto the ally rims if I decide to buy them? I’m assuming if I put the super single rims on the front ill need a set of retro fit nuts and possibly a set of studs?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers.
Matt.

just stick the truck on 295/80’s and get it re-calibrated

295/80’s are easier to get hold of :wink:

they would all be on retro fit nuts on the DAF

you need either longer studs OR retro fit nuts, you do not need both for standard holes :wink:

if the rims are retro fit, you need the nuts, not longer studs

What’s the process of changing to 295’s as the playing certificate says 315/70. Is it literally a tachometer calibration then a new plating certificate?

yes

mind you, the plating certificate in the cab doesn’t have the tyre sizes on it, so, leave the plating cert, keep the old wheels/tyres, and when you sell the truck, put it back on them :wink:

To be honest with you I’d prefer to stick with the 315/70’s simply because if I do change to 295 I’m going to have to buy 6 tyres all in one go. Ill be keeping the existing steel rims for resale.

What’s the pros and cons of super singles on steer axle?

xfmatt:
To be honest with you I’d prefer to stick with the 315/70’s simply because if I do change to 295 I’m going to have to buy 6 tyres all in one go. Ill be keeping the existing steel rims for resale.

What’s the pros and cons of super singles on steer axle?

Only had SS on the steer for the last few weeks but I find the ride much better and found that I don’t get pulled into the groove.

If you need to buy retro nuts they’re going to be £7-£8 a piece new, something you need to factor into the budget.

There a mine of information from this link posted in the cracked alloy wheel thread, including matching tyre size to suitable rims:

cav551:
below 72 pages all about alloy wheels, WOW. The contents page will point to the right sections about defects, studs and nuts.

alcoa.com/alcoawheels/asia/e … ual_en.pdf

Wont fit , 315"S don’t fit onto 295 rims! but 315 rims will fit 295 tyres ■■?, you can put 315"s onto 295 rims but they don’t look correct and could/can cause issues!!!

Has anyone much experience with supers on the lift axle as well as the front?
Sorry to jump in on this thread but i was thinking of going supers on lift as well as on front

Any help appreciated

Big Joe:
If you need to buy retro nuts they’re going to be £7-£8 a piece new, something you need to factor into the budget.

There a mine of information from this link posted in the cracked alloy wheel thread, including matching tyre size to suitable rims:

cav551:
below 72 pages all about alloy wheels, WOW. The contents page will point to the right sections about defects, studs and nuts.

alcoa.com/alcoawheels/asia/e … ual_en.pdf

the retro fit nuts are £5.50 per nut from tyretracks

there are people selling them 2nd hand though :wink:

xfmatt:
The super single rims have retrofit nuts.

If the lift and drive axle rims have the standard 26mm holes and no retrofit nuts then you will need to replace the studs on those axles of your unit with longer ones if you want the wheels to fit. That is of course, assuming your unit doesn’t already have long studs fitted ready for alloys.

If you have to buy 40 new studs and pay for the labour to get them fitted then the job has suddenly become a lot more expensive.

Paul

globby 480:
Wont fit , 315"S don’t fit onto 295 rims! but 315 rims will fit 295 tyres ■■?, you can put 315"s onto 295 rims but they don’t look correct and could/can cause issues!!!

I was told the rims I have now are for 295’s but they have 315/70 tyres on as this is on the plating certificate. Had no issues at MOT or the like. This is how I bought the unit 20mobths ago and they’ve been no problem so far.

repton:

xfmatt:
The super single rims have retrofit nuts.

If the lift and drive axle rims have the standard 26mm holes and no retrofit nuts then you will need to replace the studs on those axles of your unit with longer ones if you want the wheels to fit. That is of course, assuming your unit doesn’t already have long studs fitted ready for alloys.

If you have to buy 40 new studs and pay for the labour to get them fitted then the job has suddenly become a lot more expensive.

Paul

I’m not 100% but I think the unit may have had alloys in prior to me buying it. The reason is the steel wheels were brand new when I bought them, not a mark on them. I’m thinking it was on alloys and they took them off to sell.

If its a case of replacing all the studs and nuts I won’t bother with them. Luckily I’m due 6week inspection this Friday and the guy also looks after my mates wagon so hopefully he’ll know if they’ll go straight onto it or not!

Matt

315’s should go on 9 inch rims, i have had some 315/70 on 8.25 alcoas without problem, but they do look like they are bulging. If you are running 70 profile on the back you should go for 385/55/22.5 on the super single axle . ET Morris used to run like this on the volvos they had.