Wheel nut caps...

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop wheel nut caps sticking onto the wheel nuts, I’ve been told that Vaseline does the trick, but looks a bit dodgy going into village chemist, and asking for 6 pots of Vaseline… :blush:

Isn’t it better that they do stick to the wheel nuts? Stops them flying off when the wheels are turning.

damoq:
Isn’t it better that they do stick to the wheel nuts? Stops them flying off when the wheels are turning.

I get you’re point, but the stainless steel type push on tight, it’s stopping them corroding and bonding onto wheel nut I’m worried about…

Ginger grease may do the trick…

Never tried it but will certainly save you some embarassment… :smiley:

surely if they are “STAINLESS” they should not corrode anyway?

xamtex:

They don’t but the nut does (Galvanic corrosion), an non corrosive grease or an anti seize paste (we called it copper grease) will do the trick.
Can get big jars of vaseline (acid free) from a motorfactor as it is stiil widely used for battery clamps to avoid corrosion.
Need only a wee spot, a jar last a very long time, and there will be some left for chapped hands, and other uses. :grimacing:

perkibre:

damoq:

I get you’re point, but the stainless steel type push on tight, it’s stopping them corroding and bonding onto wheel nut I’m worried about…

I understand. I just assumed it was the plastic type you meant. Sorry :blush: :blush:

I would use coppergrease too, because if some thieving scum bag steals them you can look at his fingers just before you chop them off. It stains a bit :laughing:

perkibre:
Has anyone got any tips on how to stop wheel nut caps sticking onto the wheel nuts, I’ve been told that Vaseline does the trick, but looks a bit dodgy going into village chemist, and asking for 6 pots of Vaseline… :blush:

I have the answer … don’t waste you money on pointless chrome wheel nut caps then they won’t come off :laughing:
For the life of me I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t actually own the truck wants to spend their own money trying to make the vehicle look flashy, cleaning it is good, polishing the alloys is nice, buying tacky things that will eventually fall off or be stollen is silly.
One of our guys has a new Cascadia (like mine) and has fitted chrome wheel centers and wheel nut covers… The truck looks stupid now. :laughing:

Pat Hasler:

perkibre:

For the life of me I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t actually own the truck wants to spend their own money trying to make the vehicle look flashy, cleaning it is good, polishing the alloys is nice, buying tacky things that will eventually fall off or be stollen is silly. :laughing:

You have started something now :laughing:… (but I agree :unamused: )

robroy:

Pat Hasler:

perkibre:

For the life of me I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t actually own the truck wants to spend their own money trying to make the vehicle look flashy, cleaning it is good, polishing the alloys is nice, buying tacky things that will eventually fall off or be stollen is silly. :laughing:

You have started something now :laughing:… (but I agree :unamused: )

I think that’s personal, somebody’s dream wife is another man’s dog :grimacing: :grimacing:

Some like the mother, some like the daughter, and about taste are as many opnions as people!