Wheel arches

I hope someone can give an authoritative answer to the question:

Is it legal to drive an artic (coupled to a trailer) with the centre detachable panel of the drive axle wheel arches detached?

I have my own thoughts but I cant find a definitive answer. So I hope someone can come up with the correct answer and the chapter and verse to back it up!

Then I can clear off back to where I came from haha.

Thanks all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

According to this official VOSA doc, it would result in a delayed PG9 - skip to page 36 and see notes at side. Better than it being damaged which takes it off the road.

Its a google link but it’ll redirect, phone wont copy actual PDF link text.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc … s4WA5J6f6Q

Not sure I can give you definitive answer, but I seem to remember something from VOSA a few years ago saying they wouldn’t take action if they were removed, if the clearance between the top of the wheels and bottom of the trailer was less than a certain figure, 100mm I think, but if removed they must be carried.

muckles:
Not sure I can give you definitive answer, but I seem to remember something from VOSA a few years ago saying they wouldn’t take action if they were removed, if the clearance between the top of the wheels and bottom of the trailer was less than a certain figure, 100mm I think, but if removed they must be carried.

I think the above is correct, but only for non UK registered motors

Peter Smythe:
I hope someone can give an authoritative answer to the question:

Is it legal to drive an artic (coupled to a trailer) with the centre detachable panel of the drive axle wheel arches detached?

I have my own thoughts but I cant find a definitive answer. So I hope someone can come up with the correct answer and the chapter and verse to back it up!

Then I can clear off back to where I came from haha.

Thanks all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not in the UK, the covers must stay on, They are part of the anti spray and wing regulations in the DVSA inspection manual page 53.

If the trailer acts as part of the wing, such as a stepframe race transporter, it is permitted to remove the wing tops but they must be carried on the vehicle at all times.

Remember the old Iveco, / Mercedes Benz roller flaps, they are now illegal.

If the trailer is exempt, car transporter, logging trailer etc, it doesn’t necessarily exempt the tractor unit.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/708874/hgv-inspection-manual.pdf

See it on foreign trucks quite a lot. I did often wonder…