Whats your opinion?

Hi all,

Well, its now only a few weeks before my time in the forces is done with ! and am just about to finish my resettlement.
I am off around Immingham and other areas around N.E Lincs tomorrow armed with upto date copies of my CV, and am planning on cold calling to various places and see what happens reagrds to interviews, call backs, assements and being fobbed off :slight_smile: etc !

So here is my question.

What is your opinion on the cold calling aspect, do you think it would be likley to work or would it be better to just fire off endless job applications on the net ?

My personal thoughts are that it is harder to fob someone off face to face rather than over the phone or on the net.
I am awaiting a phone call from ESL and Maritime at the minute, but surley it cant hurt to get some more offers on the table ?

I cant see it not helping you…some firms prefer that sort of thing and see your willing to do the leg work…others will have a pencil pusher thats never been near a truck deciding whether your the bloke for the job… a bit of a lottery, but xmas is coming so you mite be lucky…all the best for the future…shytalk.

90% of my HGV jobs came from cold calling, very worthwhile.

Don’t get yourself into the agency rap if you can help it, they promise the world and deliver fa.

Seven P’s mate, full time all the way, too easy to drop into Agency work and too easy to get used to the money, trouble is that money is only good while it lasts.

Good luck mate.

Hi mate. I’m in the same position as yourself but I managed to find a job shock horror through the job centre. So start next Monday full time night shift trunk. I too have cold calling is the way to get the best results. I was amazed how many TM’s have been interested.

Thanks for the response so far folks,

Will be suited and booted and see where i end up :slight_smile:

when cold calling for jobs, always take your night out gear :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Take your CV with you (With photograph) then you can leave it behind if you cannot get to see anyone when you call, try and get a contact name so you can call them later.

I offered my 1st start a week free for work experience when I came out of the forces. They offered me a job at the end of the week but I turned them down. Had my class 1 the following week on resettlement, passed it on the friday and shipped out on 1st trip to euroland on the monday. Good luck mucka, just don’t tell anybody you were on the balcony and you will be fine!

Phantom Mark:

Don’t get yourself into the agency rap if you can help it, they promise the world and deliver fa.

Seven P’s mate, full time all the way, too easy to drop into Agency work and too easy to get used to the money, trouble is that money is only good while it lasts.

Good luck mate.

7 P’s? i might be being dense, but what’t that then?

stevieboy308:
when cold calling for jobs, always take your night out gear :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 good advice that

Nate:

Phantom Mark:

Good luck mate.

7 P’s? i might be being dense, but what’t that then?

Prior planning and preperation prevents pi55 poor performance

also be ready to work straight away, as people have said, take N/O gear for a week, you never know what could happen :wink:, if you do go out in shirt/tie/trouser’s, take “plain work gear”, in my line of work, it’s black combat style trousers’ (one’s with load’s of pocket’s) and a plain black polo shirt and steel toecap boots. may also be advisable to take a good map and satnav, as you may not be given a run sheet/map etc. as you’ve more than likely been told, “be prepared”…

good luck with it and let us know how you get on. :smiley:

Cold called at my place, served the 22, loved it to be honest, very nervous about civy street, but what a surprise its just full of lazy cretins, not all of them to be fair, far rom it, some are very professional and an absolute pleasure to work with. But I just laugh to my self at some of the civys,trailers dropped, get lost, don’t last or first parade their trucks, never wash them down, take the wrong trailer, swear and raise their voice to management, take days off, unbelievable. I have to pinch myself sometimes.

When the forces came to our school to tell us about the great life you could have, they always told us that you would get all these wonderful qualifications that would set you up for life. Why do so many ex forces become drivers then? And regarding the above post, all the ex forces blokes I have come across at our place, seem incapable of driving 10 yards without another of their buddies holding their hands.

Was in the office a couple of days ago, and Mr buzz cut, was at the desk. Within in a minute of him starting up a one sided conversation with me he had told me that he used to be a close protection officer, and how he could evaluate security risks at the drop of a hat. I’m certain my eyeballs were rolled to far back for their own good.

happysack:
When the forces came to our school to tell us about the great life you could have, they always told us that you would get all these wonderful qualifications that would set you up for life. Why do so many ex forces become drivers then? And regarding the above post, all the ex forces blokes I have come across at our place, seem incapable of driving 10 yards without another of their buddies holding their hands.

Was in the office a couple of days ago, and Mr buzz cut, was at the desk. Within in a minute of him starting up a one sided conversation with me he had told me that he used to be a close protection officer, and how he could evaluate security risks at the drop of a hat. I’m certain my eyeballs were rolled to far back for their own good.

Thats very true,they have always been told when and how to do everything and seem to find it very hard when left on there own.

Definitely go in cold calling , some of the best jobs I’ve had have been by doing this , right place at the right time, also gives you a chance to get an idea of the people & place , sometimes you can make a decision as soon as you walk in somewhere…good luck

knocking on doors is always a winner. try and find out the bosses name before you go.
make out that you know him. “hi, is eddie about?” “hiya eddie, i noticed the step missing on that daf, so i thought that mans in need of a decent driver”. :laughing:
when can you start will be the answer.

sometimes you can make a decision as soon as you walk in somewhere…good luck

You just have to look at the faces of the people who work there already.

mac12:
That**'s very true,(space)** they have always been told when and how to do everything and seem to find it very hard when left on their own.

Do you require a soldier to demonstrate a punctuated sentence to you?

Considering a vast majority of the haulage industry is made up of ex-forces, did every one of these drivers need special coaching when starting out as a civilian because they couldn’t tie their own shoelaces together? Or have you met maybe one young tom who did his four years colour service, left and was quite frankly a ‘tard’ but you have based all your opinions of soldiers on this?

Considering a vast majority of the haulage industry is made up of ex-forces, did every one of these drivers need special coaching when starting out as a civilian because they couldn’t tie their own shoelaces together? Or have you met maybe one young tom who did his four years colour service, left and was quite frankly a ‘tard’ but you have based all your opinions of soldiers on this?

In my years as a driver I met many ex soldiers, although I think that they are a minority. My experience was that they often put other drivers backs up with their superior attitude. I think that this has always been a problem between civilians and ex soldiers in that their experiences are so different.

“O it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ " Tommy, go away " ;
But it’s " Thank you, Mister Atkins,” when the band begins to play."

I hope you find work soon (and yes - cold calling works) but when you do you will make more friends with modesty than bragging.