Whats Wrong

We advertised for a driver to drive vehicles up to 7.5 GVW
we received over 100 applicants and 90% were HGV 1 drivers
what is wrong with this industry ■■

I am guessing you didn’t advertise ‘Multi Drop’ but more normal work ■■

Everyone and their Granny has jumped on it because there was a ‘shortage’ and you can earn ‘good money’.

Now the money is ■■■■■■ again and there is no shortage, never was.

The ones with a bit of skin in the game will probably trying to get out as we return to being treated like arses on a seat.

A general driver shortage (in my opinion) is more than just about whether drivers are getting jobs now. Hauliers need to be able to see ready availability to invest in fleets and take on new work. This takes time and so does the newly trained drivers gaining experience.

We can all make statements about there never being a driver shortage etc etc, but these are based on perception, not going out doing a survery of hauliers and asking whether the skilled driver availability is good and if the haulier feels it can expand operations and whether the obstable to doing this is skilled driver availability.

As ever, I cannot really say whether there is a general driver shortage, as I don’t have the feedback from the hauliers.

However, for things to get as bad as they were in 2021, things must have been quite bad and that doesn’t get sorted out quickly.

SHYTOT:

Maybe to do with the wage offered?
If I had the chance of going on a 7.5 tonne for same money as what I’m on now, it would be a case of…hold me back.

With the current slump, drivers are less in demand than they were before the government ■■■■■■ everything up. Many jobs are on the job sites as per usual but most are just agencies advertising fake jobs just to get drivers numbers for when things pick up again. How long the current dip is gonig to bite is anybodys guess but until it ends there will seem to be a surplus of drivers.

DHL are churning out around 5 new class one drivers per week with their warehouse to wheels programme. They are showing no signs of slowing their efforts down. You’ll notice very little job ads for drivers with dhl. It’s rampant, now if that’s being replicated to some extent with culina, xpo etc plus all the private driving schools then we are in real trouble for years to come in regards to wages. Supply, demand and all that jazz. Talk of possible redundancy at my place so I’ve just recently started looking at ads on indeed just to see how the land lies and I’m shocked at the money being offered. Really poor.

I was speaking to a new pass just the other day. He didn’t need to do a test from a dvsa site, or use a dvsa examiner and didn’t need to do a reverse. ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■ sounds like my bird (half decent car driver) could pass it next week if she wanted to.

Dafproblems:
DHL are churning out around 5 new class one drivers per week with their warehouse to wheels programme. They are showing no signs of slowing their efforts down. You’ll notice very little job ads for drivers with dhl. It’s rampant, now if that’s being replicated to some extent with culina, xpo etc plus all the private driving schools then we are in real trouble for years to come in regards to wages. Supply, demand and all that jazz. Talk of possible redundancy at my place so I’ve just recently started looking at ads on indeed just to see how the land lies and I’m shocked at the money being offered. Really poor.

I was speaking to a new pass just the other day. He didn’t need to do a test from a dvsa site, or use a dvsa examiner and didn’t need to do a reverse. [zb] ■■■■■■■■ sounds like my bird (half decent car driver) could pass it next week if she wanted to.

Good points, the ‘driver’ sausage machine is in full production. :unamused: , which can and will only make things worse for the firms churning em out.
As Jesus once said…‘A Class 1 licence doth not a driver make’ ok it obviously wasn’t Jesus,.but you get my drift. :smiley:

Point is there will now be an even bigger abundance of totally inept and crap drivers than what there is now, (which is bad enough atm,) so good and proper drivers will always be in demand and desirable, so maybe it will work out in the end eh?

Dafproblems:

I was speaking to a new pass just the other day. He didn’t need to do a test from a dvsa site, or use a dvsa examiner and didn’t need to do a reverse. [zb] ■■■■■■■■ sounds like my bird (half decent car driver) could pass it next week if she wanted to.

churning out 5 drivers per wk

Dhl churning out 5 drivers per wk of which 3 will pack it in within a month because of the hours/stress and pointy shoes in the office going off on them
rather than paying good hourly wages to reliable experienced Drivers
it seems to me that they are playing a numbers game, throw enough pasta at the wall and some of it will stick
Also yes the Agency situation is dire where i am ( lincolnshire ) in the past jan/Feb has been thin 2/3 days a week but this year its way worse
hopefully it will pick up soon but cant rely on it though i am looking at jobs when they come up but really do not want to work for a company directly after very poor experiences in the past

5 drivers a week in the whole UK? That is nothing.

Everyone knows that when the proverbial hits the fan, the existing drivers get shafted with stupid long hours, so some new entrants is a good thing, and they will replace the natural churn. Nothing to worry about and it is good that companies are taking some responsibility for the training.

My worry about the straight to class 1 guys is that they want to drive to maximum entitlement immediately, which is somewhat unrealistic considering the amount of rigid drivers required. Also, if the newbie forum is anything to go by, some seem unwilling to leave present employment without a guaranteed full-time class 1 position (without any experience). So in that case, some licences may never get used.

I have noticed over the last week vacancies going up on indeed and then being taken down within 24 hours.

I’ll assume the vacancy is being absolutely inundated with applicants.

Latest one I seen was as it happens a DHL position at Morley, a site that has always struggled for drivers (always advertising). Click through to DHL website and they are no longer accepting applicants for a job that was listed yesterday.

Place I’m currently working put 30 or so drivers through an apprenticeship, used them as warehouse labour whilst waiting for their licences. A lot of them found jobs elsewhere when they passed their tests but a few are now ending up on the road.

SHYTOT:

Nowt. But if I can earn the same pottering around in a 7.5 tonner as I can dragging 44 tonnes of artic around without the hassle of worrying about 7.5t weight limits, trying to fit 53ft of vehicle in places designed for horse and cart then why wouldn’t I?

Hell if you offered me the same money to drive a van I’d do it.

Dafproblems:

And you believed the lies he was telling you? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Dafproblems:

Dunno why you’re messing around on TN, I’ve heard you’ve been identified by a bank executive at the First National Bank of Wakanda as the only living relative of a Mr Gimm Esom ■■■■■■■■ who has left 12.7 million dollars in a bank account in Nigeria, which is rightfully yours, but apparently you can only get your hands on it if you get in touch with them asap and give them your bank account details, full name, address, date of birth, passport number, and one or two other inconsequential details.
:laughing:

Jobs ■■■■■■, make no mistake about it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The job isnt pootlin around in a 7.5
Its local and long distance with overnight stops
early starts late finishes sometimes both in the same day

robroy:
[
Good points, the ‘driver’ sausage machine is in full production. :unamused: , which can and will only make things worse for the firms churning em out.
As Jesus once said…‘A Class 1 licence doth not a driver make’ ok it obviously wasn’t Jesus,.but you get my drift. :smiley:

Point is there will now be an even bigger abundance of totally inept and crap drivers than what there is now, (which is bad enough atm,) so good and proper drivers will always be in demand and desirable, so maybe it will work out in the end eh?

My thoughts as well robroy - the more of these “drivers” that enter the industry the more good reliable drivers that turn up , get the job done and bring it all back with no bumps scrapes will be appreciated and looked after . The "logistics " mobs will take the new starts until their insurance companies realise no matter how many driver facing cameras they insist are installed they will still be dealing with uneducated pork and that experienced drivers that have just a bit of common scence are worth their weight in gold . That day is coming it just cant come quick enough .

And thats the problem with HGV 1 Drivers most of them think they are superstars
In fact they are full of bullshine and no better than a new pass

SHYTOT:
And thats the problem with HGV 1 Drivers most of them think they are superstars
In fact they are full of bullshine and no better than a new pass

[emoji2]

beefy4605:
That day is coming it just cant come quick enough .

Dunno about that.
We’ll take on new passes,now.
Some have gone through warehouse to wheels type schemes and others have passed off their own backs.

Our company policy is to put them with shunters,for a couple of weeks just to suss them out.

Out of the 9 that were set on,whilst I’ve been shunting…7 are still with us(the other 2 were dangerous)