Whats wrong with doing 40 mph?

Am I the only one who doesnt want the law changed? Anyway , if we raise it to 50 mph , then we will have lorries hurtling along at 56 because , generally , lorry drivers dont stick to 50 on the dual carriageways , so why would they stick to 50 on the singles? Me , I like just sitting at 40 and to be honest , I dont think the police are that bothered about whether the traffic keeps moving or not , so this idea of us all keeping to 40 in order to get the message across , seems pretty pointless , I never go above 40 , more speed just means more workload.You wont get any benefit finacially.

NTSA.

Sploom!! You’ll still be able to do 40! Why worry? HTH :laughing:

“hurtling” :unamused:

70k on single as you say plenty fast enough
but on limiter dual carriageway

Im only 19, and guessing i have 47 years ? maybe longer till i retire ?

I’m not gona be sticking around long in the industry if i think im rambo on the foot pedal :grimacing:

I always stick to limits and what doesn’t get done tough :wink:

Surprising when im going 50 along duel carriageways, i feel like im driving a moped with all the rest of the lorries flying past :smiling_imp:

Better safe than sorry, if i get 3 points… i may as well go stack shelves for next 5 years lol.

voodoo1:

I’m not gona be sticking around long in the industry if i think im rambo on the foot pedal :grimacing:

Surprising when im going 50 along duel carriageways, i feel like im driving a moped with all the rest of the lorries flying past :smiling_imp:

Better safe than sorry, if i get 3 points… i may as well go stack shelves for next 5 years lol.

I always do 40 on singles too however on a duel I’m flat out as ours are set at 83kph so there is not much difference. 40 is plenty fast enough. Makes me laugh when you see some loony doing 56 on a single crazy

voodoo1:

The state retirement age is likely to be at age 70 when you retire :open_mouth:

you’ll have to come back to this post in about 50 years time to see if I was right :laughing: :laughing:

NewLad:

voodoo1:

I always do 40 on singles too however on a duel I’m flat out as ours are set at 83kph so there is not much difference. 40 is plenty fast enough. Makes me laugh when you see some loony doing 56 on a single crazy

why go flat out, even if it is only 83kmph, on a DUAL? the limit is 50 mph or 80kmph. Don’t worry that some of us “loonies” do 56 on a single. We aren’t ‘rambo on the pedal’ and we arent stacking shelves. Sorry to fetch this up, but some us regularly drive long A roads such as the A9 and A75 and we like to make some progress. and before you come back with the old ‘but it only saves you minutes’ argument, think about say three hours in a day of doing 40 instead of 55, and that can be as much 45 miles. difference between a decent parking area/home or a tiny wee layby for the night.

happysack:

NewLad:

voodoo1:

why go flat out, even if it is only 83kmph, on a DUAL? the limit is 50 mph or 80kmph. Don’t worry that some of us “loonies” do 56 on a single. We aren’t ‘rambo on the pedal’ and we arent stacking shelves. Sorry to fetch this up, but some us regularly drive long A roads such as the A9 and A75 and we like to make some progress. and before you come back with the old ‘but it only saves you minutes’ argument, think about say three hours in a day of doing 40 instead of 55, and that can be as much 45 miles. difference between a decent parking area/home or a tiny wee layby for the night.

So you’d risk your license over no patience ?

Or a massive £2 load bonus where I used to work…

Drive it like ya stole it is my motto :smiley:

We are all adults, as long as people are prepared to live with the consequences of speeding then crack on! Personally I’m flat out unless its a built up area. Even on motorways I let it roll, can get upto 70 in places. I can remember a time when this was the norm, and can’t recall as many accidents as nowadays, there’s always a motorway closed these days.
Worst thing that ever happened limiters, especially on dual carriageways, not many drivers will back off. Thats my opinion for what its worth.

voodoo1:

do the A9 run, the 40 limit causes more deaths and accident on that road. and you can bet the ■■■■■■■ sat at 35mph put there foot down so no one can get by when you get to the dual carriageway :unamused:

Rob K:
NTSA.

Thanks Rob :laughing: straight to the point again :laughing: .Rob’s eloquent opinion is right it has been done to death, but my input is I am on hourly rate so stick to 40 on A roads (mon to thurs :laughing: ) and pull over to let the 56mph guys over…each to his own, but if they need to break the law to meet schedules a quiet word :wink: with their planners is maybe needed, it aint their licences that are at risk, :bulb: and as long as they keep meeting these schedules the more pressure will be applied :bulb: Learned this a lonnnnnnngg time ago :sunglasses:

kemperink:
do the A9 run, the 40 limit causes more deaths and accident on that road. and you can bet the [zb] sat at 35mph put there foot down so no one can get by when you get to the dual carriageway :unamused:

This, and its usually the same folk from TK MAxx/Boots that are doing that. pain in the japsy and so annoying.its just annoying that it can take nearly 3 hours to do 110 miles thats why folks dont do 40 on the singles on that road.

gogzy:

kemperink:
do the A9 run, the 40 limit causes more deaths and accident on that road. and you can bet the [zb] sat at 35mph put there foot down so no one can get by when you get to the dual carriageway :unamused:

This, and its usually the same folk from TK MAxx/Boots that are doing that. pain in the japsy and so annoying.its just annoying that it can take nearly 3 hours to do 110 miles thats why folks dont do 40 on the singles on that road.

I cannot ever remember driving that road so … are there places for those doing 40 with very large queues behind them to pull in for a few seconds ?

There is nothing wrong with doing 40mph on a single carriageway road as it allows car drivers to overtake safely and legally. Lorries doing 50 mph cause the hold ups in traffic as a car driver would need to do 70mph to overtake safely therefore breaking the law for each truck he passes.

voodoo1:
i may as well go stack shelves for next 5 years lol.

Look on the bright side. You’ll be on more money and have set times for finishing !

miketdt:
There is nothing wrong with doing 40mph on a single carriageway road as it allows car drivers to overtake safely and legally. Lorries doing 50 mph cause the hold ups in traffic as a car driver would need to do 70mph to overtake safely therefore breaking the law for each truck he passes.

One truck at the front doing 40 with another behind it wanting to go faster but unable to pass due to lack of opportunities

The second truck is close enough to the front truck so that the smaller faster vehicles have no hope of getting by unless they pass both at once - a long queue now builds up

Its not only trucks that do that as many cars get so close to the arse of the truck that they have no vision to pass safely or they simply lack the skill to pass safely - a long queue now builds up

Are those examples the fault of the LGV driver driving legally or the lack of skill and forethought of those behind ?