Off boat 00.37
rest 5hrs 14 mins
first parking Holyhead 01.24
Total shunts 47mins
Started again 04.25
Total rest 12hrs 6 mins
Thought you were allowed 1hr to shunt on and off
Why is there an infringement showing.
This happened 6 weeks ago am I still in trouble.

My understanding is you can interrupt a daily rest to shunt on and off a ferry, but the daily rest must then be extended to 12 hours. I think this should explain your infringment.

harry james:
Start shift 10.00
At boat 16.19
rest 3hrs 2 mins
Off boat 00.37
rest 5hrs 14 mins
first parking Holyhead 01.24
Total shunts 47mins
Started again 04.25
Total rest 12hrs 6 mins
Thought you were allowed 1hr to shunt on and off
Why is there an infringement showing.
This happened 6 weeks ago am I still in trouble.

I’m a little confused by the times you’ve given.
You say you had total interruptions of 47 minutes but that only accounts for the time when you came off the boat at 00:37 to when you parked up at 01:24.

Have I understood that correctly ?

You say you arrived at the ferry at 16:19 and had 3 hours and 2 minutes rest but you haven’t mentioned an interruption to get onto the boat, if this interruption was more than 13 minutes it would explain you getting an infringement for going over the allowed 2 interruptions totalling no more than 1 hour :wink:

By my reckoning between arriving at the ferry at 16:19 and getting off the ferry at 00:37 is 8 hours 18 minutes, but you say you had 8 hours 16 minutes rest in this time which only leaves 2 minutes to drive onto the ferry, something seems to be wrong there mate :wink:

Apart from that if the first interruption to get onto the boat was more than 17 minutes you had insufficient daily rest because the daily rest would have been less that 11 hours.
According to what you’ve written you had 3 hours 2 minutes rest followed by another 5 hours 14 minutes and another 3 hours 1 minute when you parked up after coming off the boat, that makes a grand total of 11 hours 17 minutes daily rest.

You seem to have included the interruption time in the daily rest period but it doesn’t work like that, you should have at least 11 hours daily rest excluding the duration of the 2 allowed interruptions.

Sorry If I’m misunderstanding what happened and where, but without knowing about the first interruption when you got onto the boat it’s difficult to say exactly what went wrong.

By the way when you get an infringement it should say on it what the infringement is for so you know what you’ve done wrong, that’s the whole point of being asked to sign infringements :wink:

My understanding is you can interrupt a daily rest to shunt on and off a ferry, but the daily rest must then be extended to 12 hours. I think this should explain your infringment.

No that’s not correct, you only have to extend the daily rest period to 12 hours if you have a split daily rest period (3 hours rest during the shift followed by 9 hours after the shift) not an interrupted daily rest period.

Yeah sorry missed out the fact that I got to port and parked for 3hrts 2mins interrupted this rest to board boat at 19 25 approx. Does your break start when you get to the port or when you board boat.

Not enough information given to say why you have got an infringement really. Did you book off when you arrived in Dublin, entered the end country as IRL if you are on a dig, and started waiting for the boat? Again on a digi did you use the ferry option to mark the data with the reason you were interrupting your daily rest? Did you make sure the mode was on rest for all three periods of rest, before boarding, during the crossing and again after disembarking?

I would be surprised if you did more than 1 hour of interruptions as boarding the ferry in Dublin is at most 5 or 6 minutes usually.

What is the infringement you have been given? Insufficient daily rest?

harry james:
Yeah sorry missed out the fact that I got to port and parked for 3hrts 2mins interrupted this rest to board boat at 19 25 approx. Does your break start when you get to the port or when you board boat.

If you want to fit in 11 hours in order to start at the time you did the next day it would have to have started when you parked in the lane waiting for the boat.

Finish shift - Rest - Interruption to board - Rest - Interruption to disembark - Rest - Start work. Those three rest periods must total 11 hours.

You’ve included the 3 hours 2 minutes rest in with you daily rest period which is fine, there’s nothing I can see to stop you starting your daily rest when you got to the port, but the time spent boarding the ferry has to be counted as an interruption to the daily rest period just like the interruption when you got off the ferry.

Exactly what the infringement is for will depend on the duration of the first interruption to the daily rest period when you boarded the ferry.

I havent been stopped for this its just showing it on my digifob I’ve totalled up the movements involved in boarding and disembarking and its 47 mins. Plus by starting at 0425 am next day its over 12 hours .Will try and post the printout on here

Does the digifob recognise interrupted daily rest?

Did you go into the menu just before boarding the ferry and select the ferry option and again just before disembarkation? This marks the data with the reason for the interruption and without this I suspect it won’t be recognised by the digifob as an interrupted daily rest period.

harry james:
I havent been stopped for this its just showing it on my digifob I’ve totalled up the movements involved in boarding and disembarking and its 47 mins. Plus by starting at 0425 am next day its over 12 hours .Will try and post the printout on here

Between arriving at the ferry port and starting the daily rest at 16:19 and starting the next day at 04:25 is 12 hours 6 minutes, deduct from this the 47 minutes interruptions and it amounts to 11 hours 19 minutes daily rest :wink:

Printouts

Re: Whats wrong here

Postby Coffeeholic » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:05 pm
Does the digifob recognise interrupted daily rest?

You could be right with this why would it recognise this there is no provision on it to do so.

I’m not familiar with printouts when the ferry option has been used but shouldn’t those rest interruptions be shown between lines that show it was on the ferry/train option.

Have to ask, did you put the tachograph onto the ferry/train option whilst moving onto and off the ferry ?

Put it on ferry option after boarding you can see the little symbol for ferry at the bottom of the printout as far as I am aware you dont take it out of this option when starting again it just goes to drive. Could be wrong of course.!!

I’ve never used it but as far as I’m aware you should use the ferry/train option before both of the movements that interrupts the daily rest, the printout would then show that the vehicle movements were to go onto or off a ferry/train.

I know Coffeeholic has used the ferry/train option frequently so he will be able to explain far better than I can :wink:

tachograph:
I’ve never used it but as far as I’m aware you should use the ferry/train option before both of the movements that interrupts the daily rest, the printout would then show that the vehicle movements were to go onto or off a ferry/train.

You should, he didn’t hence the problem I think

tachograph:
I know Coffeeholic has used the ferry/train option frequently so he will be able to explain far better than I can :wink:

I have never used it with a digi tacho.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

Sorry, my mistake I thought you had :blush:

harry james:
Put it on ferry option after boarding you can see the little symbol for ferry at the bottom of the printout as far as I am aware you dont take it out of this option when starting again it just goes to drive. Could be wrong of course.!!

Couple of problems as to why you are getting the infringements. You never ended your shift and booked off, which you should have done at 16:19. you would then have another line underneath where it says:

09:01 IRL
346274 km
So you haven’t actually started a daily rest period. :wink:

You go into the menu just before boarding and select the ferry/train option, which you did at 19:27, but you should then have done so again at 00:37 to explain again why you are interrupting your rest. It isn’t a special mode you leave it on while on the ferry, it doesn’t change the mode from either what you select or is automatically selected by moving. It is simply the digital equivalent of using a pen to write on the back of a chart to explain an interruption.

What you should have done to avoid the problem you are having is:

16:19 Park in lane waiting for ferry
Select end country as IRL
Switch mode to rest
19:20 Select the ferry option and board ferry, mode will change to driving
On board select rest mode
00:37 Select the ferry option and disembark from the ferry, mode will change to driving
01:24 Park and switch mode to rest
04:25 Move mode switch to Other work and select begin country as UK

Couple of problems as to why you are getting the infringements. You never ended your shift and booked off, which you should have done at 16:19. you would then have another line underneath where it says

I can see what you mean will this be a hanging offence or just a verbal warning. Not too serious I think just a gap in my understanding only used the digi very infrequently.

tachograph:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

Sorry, my mistake I thought you had :blush:

Nope, since I started driving digi I have only used Dover/Calais or the train where you cannot use it. Stranraer/Belfast HSS where you can’t use it or Dublin Holyhead where I don’t use the crossing as part of my daily rest because we have work to do after disembarking. drive from Holyhead to London Colney or drive to the depot near Dublin airport, go for fuel and so on.